X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car dealership scams to avoid

Top Dealer Scams to Avoid

1. The Ambush
    Beware of being shuffled among a never-ending team of auto pros--you shouldn't have to talk to the sales guy out on the lot, the sales manager, the finance manager, the floor manager and the used-car manager just to buy a car. Pick one to deal with and stick with him.

2. The Confiscation
    Whatever you do, don't give up the keys to your current vehicle--even if the "used-car manager" asks for them to asses the car for its trade-in value, even if the "sales manager" asks for them as collateral while you take a test drive. If negotiations should go amiss, it's impossible to walk out on the deal if you have no way to start your car.

3. The Bum Rush
    Salesmen love to hurry you into a deal today. They'll try all kinds of things: On-the-spot delivery, haggling over details, one-time offers. Don't let them pressure and bully you into an impulse buy. Show up knowing what kind of car you need and what you can afford to pay--and if they can't provide that, leave.

4. The Buried Bill
    Read over final invoices carefully before signing anything, in order to make sure you're not charged for something you didn't request. Alarms, extra cleaning, "prepping," rust-proofing, fabric protection and paint sealant are all common add-ons that sometimes appear on the invoice unknown to the buyer. Hint: Consider doing the VIN (Vehicle Information Number) etching yourself. Dealers charge hundreds of dollars to do it, but a home-etching kit costs as little as $20.

5. The Bait and Switch
    Dealers may advertise one model in the paper, loaded with extras for a reasonable price, but then have only a lesser model (with less overall value) on the lot when interested parties show up to buy the one they saw in the paper. Best way to avoid this trap: The minute you realize the con, walk away.

That key thing is a great point.
    I can't have nothin nice. Been there wrecked that.

Comment

1. The Ambush
      Beware of being shuffled among a never-ending team of auto pros--you shouldn't have to talk to the sales guy out on the lot, the sales manager, the finance manager, the floor manager and the used-car manager just to buy a car. Pick one to deal with and stick with him.

Salespeople don't typically handle the financing part of the transaction, so at just about every dealership, you'll deal with a salesperson and finish with a finance manager who handles legal forms (title app, 21 day tag receipting money, etc).

2. The Confiscation
      Whatever you do, don't give up the keys to your current vehicle--even if the "used-car manager" asks for them to asses the car for its trade-in value, even if the "sales manager" asks for them as collateral while you take a test drive. If negotiations should go amiss, it's impossible to walk out on the deal if you have no way to start your car.

I'm not aware of anyone who can place a value on the trade in without actually starting and driving it. Probably gonna needs keys to do that. I would recommend going with the person who is appraising it though.

3. The Bum Rush
      Salesmen love to hurry you into a deal today. They'll try all kinds of things: On-the-spot delivery, haggling over details, one-time offers. Don't let them pressure and bully you into an impulse buy. Show up knowing what kind of car you need and what you can afford to pay--and if they can't provide that, leave.

Agree

4. The Buried Bill
      Read over final invoices carefully before signing anything, in order to make sure you're not charged for something you didn't request. Alarms, extra cleaning, "prepping," rust-proofing, fabric protection and paint sealant are all common add-ons that sometimes appear on the invoice unknown to the buyer. Hint: Consider doing the VIN (Vehicle Information Number) etching yourself. Dealers charge hundreds of dollars to do it, but a home-etching kit costs as little as $20.

Agree

5. The Bait and Switch
      Dealers may advertise one model in the paper, loaded with extras for a reasonable price, but then have only a lesser model (with less overall value) on the lot when interested parties show up to buy the one they saw in the paper. Best way to avoid this trap: The minute you realize the con, walk away.

Agree

Comment

Originally posted by MR.hp View Post

1. The Ambush

3. The Bum Rush

5. The Bait and Switch
        Must be talking about a certain ford dealer I attempted to do business with on Hwy 61. I asked them directly (on the phone) if they would negotiate the price of a truck I was interested in. They told me they would. Got out there and was told "the price is the price". Not only that, but the price WENT UP a grand from the advertised price. They said it was a misprint on their website. Needless to say, I was prepared to walk and did. I also then complained to the owner about his sales manager's tactics. Which probably made no impact on things whatsoever (but I felt better having vented).
        Life is too short to waste time and energy on hate.

Comment

I've had a BBB complaint before for high pressure sales tactics, which is funny considering I let my pricing and cars sell themselves and it works almost every time.
          I am a total tool here and do not care about anyone but myself

Comment

Working...
          X