More Oil Facts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Oil Facts

I'm not endorsing Amzoil, nor do I use it in any of my cars. My Camaro SS has had Castrol Syntec in it from day one. I've always changed it at around 2000 miles depending on how hard I run it and it still uses none between changes. My wife's CTS 3.6 calls for Mobil-1 synthetic and after I switched to Syntec, the oil consumption stopped.

Four Ball Wear (ASTM D-4172)The Four Ball Wear Test determines the wear protection properties of a lubricant. Three metal balls are clamped together and covered with the test lubricant, while a rotating fourth ball is pressed against them in sliding contact. This contact typically produces a wear scar, which is measured and recorded. The smaller the average wear scar, the better the wear protection provided by the lubricant. As shown in the graph, AMSOIL Synthetic 10W-30 Motor Oil produced the smallest wear scar of the tested lubricants.

AMSOIL Synthetic 10W-30 Motor Oil provides unsurpassed protection against engine wear. Equipment life is extended, and repairs, down-time and expenses are reduced

Not that this has any bearing (ha ha get it) on the subject. But I talked to the guy who picks up our used oil.

I asked what do they do with it?

He said they cook it down and refine it back to a base oil then it's sold back to be made into engine oil again.

Huh.
    I can't have nothin nice. Been there wrecked that.

Comment

I do use Amsoil and I also use Castrol products, these are my 2 choices of lubricating products, they both have high quality oils and have performed well for me in the machines that I use them in.

There are many different tests on all these products that are available today and many have worked well for different people and each will have their own reasons for the use of those products.

Oil can be a Mysterious subject, my opinion is get educated on what you are looking for, Engine oil (commuter, performance, race, diesel, air cooled, water cooled) Gear lube (manual transmission, rear end, lower unit, ATV) Greases, etc. each have their needs and each need the ability to perform with different contaminates, (acids, water)

High TBN numbers are needed for combating the acids in the oil that are produced during the combustion process and while the engine is just sitting waiting to be used the next time you go cruising and so on, (Oils recommended for use in Diesels are high in these numbers)

ZDDP is another concern of the gear heads that are running the older classic collector cars and those who are running flat tappet camshafts, Amsoil has a higher that most amount of these additives in their oils and some of their oils have (on purpose) enough to not qualify for the the API Certification because it requires such a small amount of Zinc and Phosphorus (do to damage to Catalitic Converters)

High heat is another demon and smooth engine bearings have different needs than the face of a flat tappet lifter and camshaft lobe, I don't claim to be an oil or lubrication Guru but, I do have a Belly Button just like everyone else here :lol: and that is just my opinion.

Just some articles to check out:

http://www.dfwsyntheticlubes.com/new...%20Testing.htm

http://www.syntheticwarehouse.com/am..._high_zinc.htm

http://www.syntheticwarehouse.com/br...lat_Tappet.pdf

Comment

But...after all the technical stuff, Mudtrux might be onto something or as the common man on KFAN says on something. lol

Comment

I use Pennzoil with purebase.

Comment

Originally posted by Z28SSMAN View Post
            But...after all the technical stuff, Mudtrux might be onto something or as the common man on KFAN says on something. lol

You are related to Doug arnt you? Funny F'r
            I can't have nothin nice. Been there wrecked that.

Comment

lol yeah we're related.

Yep Doug is one cool dude

Comment

Working...
              X