Fuel economy data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel economy data

Most Fuel Efficient Automakers By J.D. BOOTH | AOL AUTOS With fuel prices soaring and seemingly no end in sight, where does one turn? For some, it's a vehicle that's been engineered to sip, not guzzle. The question then: Which brand is more likely to ease you out of the gas station without feeling you've been turned upside down and shaken? Perhaps surprisingly, it's not always the Asian-based carmakers that come up on top where fuel economy ratings are concerned. A look at the U.S. government's official fuel economy ratings (published by the Department of Energy, the Office of Energy Efficiency and the Environmental Protection Agency) might not be light reading, but it does give a new sense of perspective on what is a very complex issue.

Top 10 Best Average Fuel Economy Automakers

Rank.......Combined......Manufacturer.....#Cars
    1..............27.66.........Mini................. 12
    2..............23.81.........Honda..............27
    3..............23.36.........Chevrolet.........88
    4..............22.23.........Lotus...............3
    5..............22.21.........Volkswagen......28
    6..............22.20.........Pontiac............24
    7..............22.14.........Saturn.............21
    8..............21.80.........Kia.................. 20
    9..............21.77.........Suzuki.............18
    10............21.60.........Toyota............55

One observation: Carmakers are, on the whole, doing a pretty good job of bringing choice to the market when it comes to fuel economy. There may, however, be two races to win: the most fuel-efficient car on the road and the automaker that "on average" is most likely to save you money at the pump. On a single car basis, the Toyota Prius comes out on top, its hybrid technology delivering 48 city miles on a gallon (like other hybrids, its fuel efficiency drops slightly on the highway, to 45). With fuel prices hitting hard, where are motorists more likely to find relief?

On a fleet basis, the best performing manufacturer is BMW's MINI division, with three models averaging out at just over 27 mpg city/highway. But fitting a family any bigger than two or three in the MINI isn't possible; Honda might be a more realistic choice, its 27 models average out at almost 24 mpg combined.

Domestically, the winner in average fuel economy is Chevrolet, its 88 models average a combined 23.26 mpg combined city/highway, only slightly lower than Honda's 23.81 mpg average. What's more impressive is that Chevrolet's numbers factor in a full line of trucks, not the case with Honda (its only offering in that category being the Ridgeline).

The lesson: Just about any way the numbers are sliced and diced, there are options for car buyers looking for fuel relief. And the differences may be surprising.

Glen,

Something I've been thinking about for awhile...

In 2006, one of the writers for Popular Mechanics took his girlfriend on a 3000-mile trip from LA to NYC in a new Z06. The idea was to see if a Z06 'Vette could serve as practical transportation.

The conclusion was an emphatic yes! Great ride, decent comfort, excellent acceleration & handling, and........great gas mileage! They averaged nearly 30 MPG on that trip, which included lots of fun in the twisties, some triple-digit runs, a few WOT bursts, and a burnout or two. Also - I've read many stories on the boards about Z06 owners getting over 30 MPG during steady-state cruising @ 70 MPH.

Here are my thoughts: If Chevy can make a car that runs high-elevens in the quarter & tops out at 170 MPH-plus - yet gets nearly 30 MPG on road-trips, what could they do with similar technology, and, say, only 350 HP? How about 250 HP?

Bottom line: If a 500 HP 'Vette can get ~30 MPG with a big push-rod V8, a car that uses similar technology (judicious use of aluminum, magnesium & carbon-fiber; plus great aerodynamics, proper transaxle gearing, etc.), but with a much smaller, more efficient engine should be capable of much better mileage. Maybe a turbocharged, direct-injected engine with VVT & cylinder deactivation?

Of course, all those high-tech materials will drive the price up as compared to our current crop of people-movers, but I think the costs will come down as the manufacturers gain experience & develop better ways of manufacturing & working with strong, yet light-weight materials.

In summary - concentrating on overall efficiency can give us "greener" cars that are also quick & fun to drive. The question is - are we willing to pay for this?

Any thoughts?
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. - Frank Zappa

Comment

You make some good points. The problem is most people think that only import manufacturers have fuel efficient cars. GM has done a horrible job getting their message across.

I was listening to a couple co-workers talk about their imports having to use premium fuel. One drives a weak ass 4cyl Celica and the other a Maxima. Using your line of thinking...I told them that a 5.3 GM truck with 315 hp runs on 87 octane, why should their 4 and 6cyls need to use premium??? They gave me the deer in the headlight stare.

Also...if you look at some of the import blogs, they laugh at GM for using "old technology" pushrod motors while everybody else is using modern-technology overhead cam engines. When people point out the Corvette gets near 30 mpg with over 400 hp, they can't come up with a reason why they bash GM other than pushrod motors are inferior technology.!!!!!

That's the frustration I see daily. No logic as to why they think that way other than their hatred for GM.

Comment

It's kinda the same thing as when the guys pop the 4.6's Tell me again Joe how strong are those forged internal 4.6's:rlol:

Comment

He can take his pop-can sized pistons and shove it!

lol

Comment

[QUOTE=Z28SSMAN;20291..................That's the frustration I see daily. No logic as to why they think that way other than their hatred for GM.[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean. When I mention to these people that pretty much every car rag & independent test report (like JD Power) says that the new Malibu is a world-class sedan - better than the current competition from Asia, like the Camry & Accord, they don't want to believe it. They say stuff like - "oh, those guys are biased", or something similar. There's no logic behind their thoughts whatsoever. Same thing happens when I mention that the Pontiac G8 can compete with the best of the European sports sedans, and at half the price.

My sister is one of these types. She's been driving Corollas & Civics for around 25 years. The last American car she had was a 4-door '80 Plymouth Volaré slant-6. No matter what the facts are, she hates American auto manufacturers - especially GM. She wanted something bigger, so she bought an Accord 4-banger a couple years ago. Now she doesn't like it. It's too slow, and she says it's boring. Duh?!?! (I had told her before she bought it to get the V6.) A few weeks ago, she was asking me for advice, and I mentioned the Malibu. She damn near had a fit. "I'm not buying a GM car!" she yelled. I said "Why not? All of the reports on it are great." Of course, she didn't want to talk about it anymore. I suppose she'll probably end up buying a V6 Camry this time around...
            There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. - Frank Zappa

Comment

Working...
            X