NHRA to race 1000ft. for T/F and Funny car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHRA to race 1000ft. for T/F and Funny car

WOW! I thought I have seen everything but in light of Scott Kallita's death they will shorten the track to 1000ft bet it won't be long before we all are at that.

http://www.nhra.com/content/news/30355.htm

why not fix the end? seems like that would be more logical

Comment

I cant even make it pass the 1/8th!! LOL

Comment

I really have mixed emotions about this. The pluses are all obvious- less engine damage, 320 feet of bonus shut down, less speed, etc.

The downfall? Fans. Some fans will not understand why. Some will be downright outraged. I don't know what exactly to think about it yet.

Anything to potentially keep these fuel guys safe should be done. If shortening the track for the interim is the answer, by all means do it. They still need to update and fix the shutdown issues. If the Air Force and Navy can stop a 30 ton plane on a carrier, there should be a safe way to stop a 2300 pound fuel car at 325 MPH. Shortening the track is not the final answer though.

Now, do I think all racing should be changed over? Maybe.... I would rather race an 1/8 mile track. Racing seems to be tighter, you need to be more one your game (most times), and parts last longer. It's just safer, no doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Rocket View Post
          I really have mixed emotions about this. The pluses are all obvious- less engine damage, 320 feet of bonus shut down, less speed, etc.

The downfall? Fans. Some fans will not understand why. Some will be downright outraged. I don't know what exactly to think about it yet.

Anything to potentially keep these fuel guys safe should be done. If shortening the track for the interim is the answer, by all means do it. They still need to update and fix the shutdown issues. If the Air Force and Navy can stop a 30 ton plane on a carrier, there should be a safe way to stop a 2300 pound fuel car at 325 MPH. Shortening the track is not the final answer though.

Now, do I think all racing should be changed over? Maybe.... I would rather race an 1/8 mile track. Racing seems to be tighter, you need to be more one your game (most times), and parts last longer. It's just safer, no doubt.

It doesn't matter... If they shorten the track, NHRA will make it to where you can get a wider tire and hook up better.. They will still blow engines. Going on that, they can prolly hit 300mph in the 1000ft mark.

I say they just leave it as is, and make the track safe.

How come Scott Kalittas (SP) is on youtube and Eric M's. is not? I would like to see how Eric crashed.

Comment

Originally posted by waterbug1999 View Post
            It doesn't matter... If they shorten the track, NHRA will make it to where you can get a wider tire and hook up better.. They will still blow engines. Going on that, they can prolly hit 300mph in the 1000ft mark.

How come Scott Kalittas (SP) is on youtube and Eric M's. is not? I would like to see how Eric crashed.
            I agree change the track not the sport. NHRA is all up your ass if your helmet or harness is a month off but its ok to run a 7000+ hp car down a dead end track? WTF!

Comment

I think the reason you do not see Eric's crash was that it was the day after the national event and there were only a few teams testing that day. On Eric's car it shook [from a rear tire going out of round]so violently that he was most likely killed they reported fron his head being tossed around in the car kind of like shaken baby syndrome after that I think that's when the car crashed. Watching crashes is kinda fun but not when anyone gets hurt or killed, I have the race where Darrell Russell was killed watched it with the zoom on and in slowmo one can see where the wing end went into the car and may have hit him in the head. T'was a sad day for racing. Trying to control a car at 300mph anyplace on the track when the car blows up would be tough to control. 1000ft. I think not slowing them down is a better place to start IMO.

As for racing the 1/8mi. I like it as you need good skills and you need to be dead on to win. A lot of people won't go to the 1/8 ar their cars are slow in the 1/8 and would get their areses kicked by a well setup car and that's where all the ET. is made.

Comment

Limiting it to 1000' will reduce engine damage. Won't eliminate it, but it will reduce it. Rarely to you see an engine fail before that point unless it's a parts failure (dropped valve, fuel malfunction, etc). Most big damage is thru the traps- oil downs, blower explosions, rods out, etc. Been that way for years. A fuel car only gains about 50 MPH over the second half of the track. The engine is just legging it out and usually not very happy.

Agreed, the quest for performance is going to change a bit. No doubt the crew chiefs will be going for broke in those 1000'. They will have a little more fuse to work with and certainly will use it up just to be top dog.

Unfortunately performance takes front stage to safety nine times out of ten. If they can figure out how to balance the performance and safety to be faster than they are now, but be even safer, the show will be better than it ever has been. It'll take time and lots of $$$.

Comment

One big problem is if the driver is knocked out he can't pull the chutes, even at 1000ft he'll be going fast enough to fly into the traps and hit the wall. They maybe need to take that out of the drivers hands and add a device that pulls the chutes automatically as it crosses the finish line. Some people already have it come out when the blowout panels do. With a mandatory device like this the driver could concentrate more on driving and getting it under control and just rely on that the chutes will come out at the end.

I don't mind 1/8th mile racing, but for top fuel and just for all the tradition NHRA has with 1/4mile, it would be sad to change it now. Some of my favorite races to see are pedal fests down the whole length, I don't want that shortened up!

But I do agree that some of these tracks that were built a long time ago for MUCH slower races do have a big problem. Most can't make a bigger shut down because of the development built up around the track.

Comment

There are so many variables,chutes not working,driver getting knocked out,body explosion pinning throttle wide open,etc,etc,etc. Theres no way they can account for all of that. Bottom line make the tracks safer with longer shut down areas and more compliant barracades!
                    All other forms of motorsports have track standards and if you cant meet them then they dont race there! Thats why late models dont run at Raceway Park anymore, they're too fast and the track is too small.
                    NHRA needs to step up and set a new precedence here!
                    Cheers, Mark

Comment

Yeah, 1000ft sounds wierd.

Wonder what the drivers' reaction has been?

There has to be a universal "kill switch" they could require be used either on the chutes or engine if a guy gets knock out. It's standard equipment on Jet skis.

Comment

Working...
                      X