Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chevy Volt concept

About GM-Volt

This website is all about the newly introduced GM Chevrolet Volt concept car.
    WHAT IS THE VOLT?:
    The Volt is radically different than any on the road today. Although agreement about definitions vary, GM doesn’t not consider it a hybrid. Current hybrids cars, such as the Prius, are defined as parallel hybrids, meaning they have a small electric motor that moves the car when it is going slowly, but when speed or acceleration increases, a gasoline motor kicks in. The Volt, however, is considered an extended-range electric vehicle (E-REV). It has a very powerful all-electric 161-horsepower 45KW (53 KW peak) motor that is the only engine to power the car at all times. This engine should be capable of moving the car from 0 to 60 in 8.5 seconds, and have a top speed of at least 100 mph.
    The electric engine gets its juice from a very powerful high-voltage battery pack that can store enough energy to drive the car up to 40 miles in standard driving conditions. That battery pack is recharged by plugging the car into your standard home 110 volt wall outlet, just like you do your iPod or cell phone. The full-charge cycle should take about 6 hours. Yes, this will increase your electric bill, but you will charge the car overnight when rates are lower. Much more importantly, you will need NO GASOLINE for drives up to 40 miles. So, if gas prices continue to go through the roof, you really won’t care. In most areas, your electricity costs should amount to a gas equivalent price of 50 cents per gallon. Studies suggest that 78% of drivers drive less than 40 miles per day.
    Another very important feature of the Volt, and the reason some people (not GM) still consider it a hybrid, is that it will still have an on-board gasoline/E85 combustion engine. Only in the Volt, this engine is the smaller one, and has only one task, it charges the battery pack when the stored power gets low. The motor is not connected to the wheels, it is only a generator. The brilliance of this feature is that you will have an overall driving range of 600-700 miles, greater than most gas cars now. The efficiency of this motor amounts to about 50 mpg, for each gallon you use to charge the batteries. The old EV-1 did not have this function.
    This gas motor will not need gears or transmission, and only has to run at a single rpm. It could also be considered an emergency generator. If you have to drive more than 40 miles, you needn’t worry because the generator will allow you to continue to drive.
    The electric motor also can generate a lot of instantaneous torque, and should be extremely responsive, and not require gears either.
    All the technology for the car is here today, except for the battery pack. It will use lithium-ion (li-ion) technology. Current hybrids use nickel-metal hydride (NiMh), which carry much less energy per unit weight. The li-ion cell technology exists but putting it into tested and safe packs is what will take some time. There are companies working with GM and trying to get these Li-ion batteries and their packs ready for automotive use, and in fact as of late October 2007, GM has received the first of these experimental packs.

Looks pretty cool, cram a big engine in it and toss out the electric bs.... just my .02

Comment

Has anyone seen the documentary "Who killed the electric car?"... It really opens your eyes and makes you wonder why these cars aren't here NOW!.. GM already had EV-1's in California working fine, Ford and Toyota also made some available, all in the early 90's.

But its hard to make money on a car that has very few things that wear out like brake pads, rotors, oil filters, air filters, mufflers/exhaust, fuel pump, etc... Of course they wanna put a generator in the car so people have to do regular maintenance on something. Even though most people drive less then 50 miles to work one way and park the car in a garage only feet away from a charging outlet when home.

Anyone wanna see a cool 100% electric vehicle check out http://www.teslamotors.com/
      I'd take one any day!

Comment

Originally posted by jollywrencher View Post
        Has anyone seen the documentary "Who killed the electric car?"... It really opens your eyes and makes you wonder why these cars aren't here NOW!.. GM already had EV-1's in California working fine, Ford and Toyota also made some available, all in the early 90's.
        I saw that last year sometime. It was indeed an "eye-opener" and also kind of upsetting to me. Well done documentary though! I would recommend it to anyone interested in cars and/or alternative energy.

Comment

Ha, I saw the GM thing on a channel about the EV1 sure shows how big buiss and the Govt. man can just come and take your car. George Orwell's 1984 all over again.

Comment

Ive never understood the "green" part of electric cars. Whats the difference is I have a car burning gas or a coal burning powerplant has to increase to power cars or more nuclar waiste?????

Comment

Originally posted by bbc nova View Post
              Ive never understood the "green" part of electric cars. Whats the difference is I have a car burning gas or a coal burning powerplant has to increase to power cars or more nuclar waiste?????
              supposedly the trade off isnt equal. the amount a car pollutes per mile is more then the amount a power plant pollutes to run your car the same distance. Im not so sure though.

I still want a gas/electric car with solar panels for the body that recharge the car whenever the sun is out. Never plug it in and only needs a gallon or so of gas every few hundred miles

Comment

Originally posted by shizzy View Post
                supposedly the trade off isnt equal. the amount a car pollutes per mile is more then the amount a power plant pollutes to run your car the same distance. Im not so sure though.

I still want a gas/electric car with solar panels for the body that recharge the car whenever the sun is out. Never plug it in and only needs a gallon or so of gas every few hundred miles

That would be nice.... only a few buck a week! I wish.....
                gas

Comment

Originally posted by JJRP57 View Post
                  That would be nice.... only a few buck a week! I wish.....
                  gas
                  get a motorcycle like me. 55MPG, 30 miles per week to and from work.

Comment

i saw an altered photograph of this car portraying a new chevelle. it suggested an SS car with an LS9 powerplant. it was interesting to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by jollywrencher View Post

But its hard to make money on a car that has very few things that wear out like brake pads, rotors, oil filters, air filters, mufflers/exhaust, fuel pump, etc... Of course they wanna put a generator in the car so people have to do regular maintenance on something. Even though most people drive less then 50 miles to work one way and park the car in a garage only feet away from a charging outlet when home.

Anyone wanna see a cool 100% electric vehicle check out http://www.teslamotors.com/
                      I'd take one any day!
                      Just found this in Automotive News April 21 edition...

Tesla Motors' lawsuit: Designer Fisker ripped us off

Tesla Motors, the California automaker of electric cars, says a well-known designer it hired purposely did subpar work for Tesla and then stole trade secrets to start his own company. Tesla sued last week in a California court.
                      The suit accuses designer Henrik Fisker and Bernhard Koehler, COO of Fisker's design company, Fisker Coachbuild, of fraud, misappropriation of trade secrets and breach of contract during their yearlong effort in 2007 to style the interior and body of the Tesla WhiteStar sedan.
                      The suit said Tesla paid Fisker, who has designed for BMW, Aston Martin and other high-end carmakers, nearly $800,000 and gave him access to Tesla's trade secrets, business plan and proprietary engineering data developed during production of its first vehicle, the Tesla Roadster.
                      Tesla accuses Fisker of purposely providing substandard designs for the Tesla sedan--resulting in a six-month delay of its release, to 2010--while using Tesla's data and holding back Fisker's best designs for his own vehicle.
                      Soon after completing services for Tesla, Fisker and Hoehler announced they were forming Fisker Automotive to put out a four-door hybrid-electric sedan called the Karma.
                      Said Adam Belsky, a lawyer representing Tesla: "In retrospect, Fisker had a strong motivation not to provide his best work for them." Lawyers for Fisker Coachbuild declined to comment.

Comment

Working...
                      X