X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E85 continued...

Assumption: US 2015 Corn Ethanol Production
    Study Position: 30 Billion Gallons per Year
    DOE Position: 15 Billion Gallons per Year RFS Cap (see fig. 3)

Assumption: Corn Yield Increase
    Study Position: None
    DOE Position: Will double between now and 2030, enabling 33 Billion Gallons per Year of Corn Ethanol without new acreage2. (see fig. 1)

Assumption: Land Use Change Paradigm
    Study Position: Additional Biofuels Acreage in one place causes harmful land use conversion elsewhere
    DOE Position: Agriculture competes with many other land uses. Higher value of agriculture land may prevent urbanization which results into permanent loss of carbon sink.

Assumption: Land Use Change - Model
    Study Position: Study Model use 1990s data – with high deforestation rate – leading to excessive carbon "debt" results
    DOE Position: Deforestation rate is slowing down and forests are growing in 22 of 50 countries, led by US and China3

Assumption: US Biomass Land Use
    Study Position: Corn production will be converted to switchgrass production
    DOE Position: Neither policy nor market incentives will lead to this outcome; we have enough resources without impacting corn acreage (see fig. 6)

Assumption: Brazil Biomass Land use
    Study Position: Brazil will use deforestation to plant biofuel crops
    DOE Position: Sufficient pasture land is available in Brazil for biofuels without impacting Brazil rainforest; Cellulosic ethanol bagasse could double Brazil ethanol production with no additional land

Assumption: Switchgrass productivity
    Study Position: Constant
    DOE Position: Yield increases can be substantial – because of new domesticated varieties developed for agricultural productivity

Assumption: US Corn Exports
    Study Position: Will decline by 62%
    DOE Position: Inconsistent with Historical Track Record (see fig. 4)

I'm going to need the explanation that goes along with all of that. I must have missed something post earlier. Can you point me to that?

never mind...I found it....
    Life is too short to waste time and energy on hate.

Comment

Working...
    X