No announcement yet.

Newest '09 Camaro production pics....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the hell would a Z28 have a better motor than an SS?

Comment

• So with the base you can only get the v6, correct? and the only way you can get the v8 is with the ss or z28 package?

sorry, i'm used to mustangs, where gt=v8 and lx 1994 and up=v6

Comment

• Originally posted by HerrKooled View Post
        wasn't there a special ZL1 camaro in the last year of the 4th gen, with factory electric cutouts and all?
        Yup chevy made the same amount of them as they did in 1969 I think with the hockey stripe and other things on it. My brother looked at getting one untill he saw the 100k price tag.

Comment

• Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
          Why the hell would a Z28 have a better motor than an SS?
          Good question. There's a lot of crazy die-hard weirdos on cz28.com who think the Z28 should be top dog over the SS. I don't quite understand it.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that list was made by one of the crazies over there. You can see it's not accurate because it says "525 HP Supercharged 6.0L 6000 V8 LS9" as the Z28's engine, but the LS9 is a supercharged 6.2 liter, and there is no way in hell they are putting the LS9 from the ZR1 into the Camaro. It's much more likely they would put the LSA or the LS8 in the top Camaro, which would still be a blown 6.2 liter, but have less exotic internals, smaller intercooler and supercharger, but could still easily put out 550 like in the new CTS-V.

All those guys over there talk about the Z28 being a lightweight road racer - so why would they put a big heavy motor with a blower in it? Makes more sense that they would put a N/A LS3 in the Z28 and have the SS be the heavier straight-line brute at the dragstrip with a S/C motor.

The Z28 was not a top dog in the 1st gen over the SS anyway, a stock '69 375 hp SS 396 would mop the floor with a stock 302 '69 Z28.

Comment

• The Z28 designation was created for SCCA racing and included an aluminum block and suspension goodies. The name caught on and was used from then on. (I think it lost it's meaning much like the 1LE did over time. It was a limited production to qualify for SCCA.)

The SS option was available in the '67, but originally came with the 350. The 396 was added later. (There wasn't much info on what qualified as an SS that I could find.)
            (Above is from The Camaro White Book.)

Some people think IROC Camaro's were the top performer of the Thirdgens, but the race they emulated required all of the cars to match in performance so that the drivers skill would win the race. The 1LE was the variant used for the SCCA, in other words, it was the new Z28.

Edit: I also found that the 4th Gen ZL1 was a limited production by GMMG (as to be expected). The '69's were factory built.

Comment

• Hey Scorpner,

My wife and I saw one of the nicest 3rd gens ever on Sat. He came off the entrance ramp off 42nd going south on 169. Guy was maybe late 30s or so.

It was a Red IROC. The car was definitely a sleeper. He had two a pillar gauges and it looked like factory style exhaust out the back, but in I thought 3". My wife noticed a roll bar in it. We could smell a little potent hi-octane in it as we followed him.

The car was real straight and clean and had just the right stance...not too low though. I don't recall ever seeing this car around.

Comment

• I don't think I've ever seen that one around either.
                Maybe something to watch for this summer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scorpner View Post
                  The Z28 designation was created for SCCA racing and included an aluminum block and suspension goodies. The name caught on and was used from then on. (I think it lost it's meaning much like the 1LE did over time. It was a limited production to qualify for SCCA.)

The SS option was available in the '67, but originally came with the 350. The 396 was added later. (There wasn't much info on what qualified as an SS that I could find.)
                  (Above is from The Camaro White Book.)

Some people think IROC Camaro's were the top performer of the Thirdgens, but the race they emulated required all of the cars to match in performance so that the drivers skill would win the race. The 1LE was the variant used for the SCCA, in other words, it was the new Z28.

Edit: I also found that the 4th Gen ZL1 was a limited production by GMMG (as to be expected). The '69's were factory built.
                  Good info.

My brother has two '67's. His drag car was originally a 350/295 RS/SS, custom interior.

The other is a '67 he bought from my sister. It was an original 327/210, RS, A/C, gauges, tach, low fuel light, tinted, with white custom interior. manual steering though. It's a Light Blue exterior. My sister bought it in '68 from Farmer Chev in Metropolis, Ill. An older couple had ordered it new and traded it in. Anyway...after a few years of driving it, we decided to remove the interior for a good cleaning and found out it had a fold down back seat.

My sister needed a car because her mother in law had just totaled her '67 Mustang GT 390 4-speed black on black. Another item that was strange on the Camaro is that it had side marker lamps. I don't recall seeing another '67 with those.

Comment

• That is interesting, I thought the fold down seats were something new.

My '69 GTO had cornering lights that were activated by the turn signal. They were kind of cool because they were bright enough that I could read addresses off of houses with it too. One time I let everyone out to take a leak and felt it was taking too long, so I put them in the spot light.

I also found this on the SS. Link

Originally introduced in 1961 as an appearance package for the Impala, it became a high-performance package in 1966.

Until the Impala SS was brought back in 1994, the Super Sport package was only available on two-door passenger cars. Since then, however, the SS package has been used on a variety of GM vehicles, including pickup trucks, four-door sedans, and front wheel drive cars.

Both historically and today, the Super Sport package has typically included high-performance tires, heavy-duty suspension, and increased power, along with a variety of other performance and appearance upgrades. All SS models have come with "SS" markings.

Comment

• The '69 GTO was a good refinement over the earlier years. A friend had a Green Judge Automatic, A/C. I REALLY liked that car until one day I saw him pull in. He had jacked it up high in the back and put chrome reverse wheels on it.

Im sure the guys appreciated the side markers. lol

Comment

• I don't want to pull this too far off topic, but mine was originally green too, but was Copper when I bought it:

Comment

• Interesting...it makes sense Green with Tan interior...

Wonder why the change to Copper?

Comment

• Dunno, I liked the color myself. In fact you can see my Camaro is the same color. The orange copper type color has become too popular now. It used to be something different.

Comment

• Now that I think about it...I guess you're right

Comment

• Wow, it looks like the Camaro is being put off even longer.

Comment

Working...
                                X