Co worker blew his motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Co worker blew his motor

Co worker blew his Demon 170 engine at Grove Creek Sat nite.
    Factory didn't torque the main caps, so they backed out and caused total destruction.
    Mechanic said after he took the pan off, he could turn the main cap bolts with his fingers
    I thought the engine assembly line is robotic? I doubt a guy is standing there with a torque wrench checking each bolt though.
    A few Ford and GM engines are hand assembled but I doubt a hemi is.
    I told him he was lucky it was 1/8 mile, as blowing a motor at 140 + @ Rock Falls could be nasty because oil and drag radials don't blend too well.
    Factory rep wants to come in and inspect.
    Mechanic said the car had been in before for an oil leak. Said it was leaking where the side main cap bolts in.
    He must have removed them and sealed them to stop the leak. Who woulda thunk the loosened main cap bolts would cause the side bolts to loosen.
    $35,000 warranty job. Asked the mechanic how much the job paid and he said not much.
    To each his own, but that's an expensive way to go bracket racing.
    Dodge promotes them to race so they'll absorb the cost. He had better be glad he never had a computer tune as Mopar could get out of warrantying it

All I can say is WOW!

Comment

Originally posted by Z28SSMAN View Post
      Co worker blew his Demon 170 engine at Grove Creek Sat nite.

I told him he was lucky it was 1/8 mile, as blowing a motor at 140 + @ Rock Falls could be nasty because oil and drag radials don't blend too well.
      t
      Neither do slicks

Comment

I was at BIR when John Gosh had a malfunction and did a 360 around the finish line after getting oil on his slicks. They said he had a ghost look on his face. I think it was a maroon '66 or '67 GTO.

Comment

Ya that was about it with John when he blew the engine in the lights that day. Just a few years ago he crashed at Topeka KS. when the wind caught his chute, he destroyed his Firebird and hurt his shoulder pretty bad. John has a new car, but after 2 crashes I think I would step back and run a slower car. Hitting something at 200mph has to hurt more then when you're going 100mph and crash.

Comment

• Z28SSMAN
            Z28SSMAN commented
            Editing a comment
            I have plenty of fun at mid 11s. It's all relative.

Reminds me of back in the day when us kids up in my hometown used to race our cars on the bare ice on Lake of the Woods. Old-school bias-ply tires, but some of us still managed to run 110+ MPH on the bare ice without wrecking.
          There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. - Frank Zappa

Comment

Sounds like Mopar may decide to replace by Feb

Comment

Z28SSMAN commented

Today, 05:58 PM

I have plenty of fun at mid 11s. It's all relative.
              Shit, the quickest I've ever driven in the 1/4 is a high 11 & I thought that was plenty quick!
              There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. - Frank Zappa

Comment

I remember a few years ago when I ran my Camaro to a 11.10@118mph and on the 4th pass I heard a strange squeak noise and called it a day. Got home took the engine out the next day and found 2 torched rod bearings due to a failed oil pump. Could have been a disaster if I had made more passes.

Comment

Working...
                X