No announcement yet.

Guy with 1st gen Monty Carlo run high 11's with 2.56 gears and stock converter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guy with 1st gen Monty Carlo run high 11's with 2.56 gears and stock converter

Now this car is impressive, 496, drives to the track and through the mufflers. 2.56 rear gear is a big old M/C on street tires. Very impressive.

https://youtu.be/JNNojNHYrlc

Yeah she really stayed in low gear for long time. Turbo 400 only using 2 gears or powerglide? Must be a TH400 because a PG low gear wouldn't work well with 2.56 axle. I'm a big A body fan, but my 2000 with 150 fewer cubes has run 4 tenths quicker. Even with 2.56s that 496 has to still be a lot thirstier than mine.

Comment

That was nuts!

Sorta reminds me of my dad's '70 LeSabre Custom 455 w/special-order Stage 1 engine & the "plains axle". Did 0-60 in just under 6 sec in 1st gear & ran high 14s in the 1/4 @ ~100 MPH in 2nd! If you nailed it from a stop in drive, it didn't shift into 2nd until 70 MPH, and it didn't shift into drive until ~110 MPH. Damn, that was a fun family car for a high-school kid to drive!
      There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. - Frank Zappa

Comment

My Dad's old 65 Impala was like that after I put a 427 in that car. You could spin that 427 to 90 mph then that P/G would shift into high gear. That trans did not last too long.

Comment

Yeah, those cars were impressive - especially for 6-passenger family cars! Fortunately, dad's 455 '70 LeSabre came with a TH400 - so there was no worry about smoking the trans with the ~410 HP, ~510 lb/ft 455. Damn, that car was fun! Got clocked by a MN highway patrol @ 149 MPH & climbing when I outran his '69 440 Interceptor in a 22 mi chase. Then the windows blew out of their sockets (was a 4-door hardtop), and it quit accelerating. Still beat that 440 by nearly 1.5 minutes in 22 miles.
          There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. - Frank Zappa

Comment

Regarding the old 2-speeds - back in high-school, I bought a '63 LeSabre sedan with a shot 401 nailhead, with that strange Buick 2-speed switch-pitch trans. Put a 425 Wildcat nailhead with the factory dual quads in it. That was the strangest auto trans I've owned. Learned how to modify that weird setup connected to the throttle linkage at the carb, so that I could change the stator pitch via a switch on the dash. Felt like a 4-speed auto! Had a really tall rear-end. It didn't shift into high until ~110 MPH. Felt a lot like like a snowmobile's CV drive - on the rugs, the tach would hover at around 5 grand & the speedometer would catch up with it! GM was messing with some weird shit back then!

Joel

Comment

Working...
            X