Wheel porosity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel porosity

Ever heard of wheel porosity with regular steel wheels?? Found out today that the slow leak in my GN's RR tire isn't the tire, valve-stem, or bead. Air is leaking RIGHT THROUGH the un-chromed back side of the wheel in 3 spots! Must be a LOT of corrosion on the inside of that wheel! :o

Of course, none of the major GN parts & repro parts outfits like Kirban Performance or Cotton's have replacement wheels anymore. Plenty of repro 16 x 8 GNX/TTA aluminum wheels available for ~$1200/set, but I haven't found a source for the '87 GN's chromed steel 15s.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. - Frank Zappa

Ya them rim leaks suck Joel, here's what I would do. Grind the leaky are after taking all the pressure out of the tire, then mix up some JB Weld and put it on the rem and let it setup overnight. Fill the tire and retest it again for anymore leaks.

Comment

Dan from our GN club has a pair of decent stock 86/87 GN rims, so I'm gonna just buy one of his. I want to be confident that I could take the GN on a coast-to-coast trip or make a 160+ MPH speed run without any surprises.
      There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. - Frank Zappa

Comment

Working...
      X