Synthetic or petroleum lube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synthetic or petroleum lube

What type of oil do you use and why? Is synthetic oil worth it, and how long between changes? If using syn for extended periods, then does it concern you about the darkened color?

buy royal purple synthetic--you'll never use anything else again. i put it in my whipple charged denali...was quieter and faster- no bs
    i still change it every 3000-3500miles 5w30 i use the same in the chevelle i used to use quaker state but honestly the royal purple had to of free'd up some power

Comment

Oil change interval

It seems to me that I can only race the car for a night or two before changing the oil. The miles are very low, probably less than a couple of hundred. I question the cost effectiveness of the syn at 6 to 8 a quart.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Shea View Post
        What type of oil do you use and why? Is synthetic oil worth it, and how long between changes? If using syn for extended periods, then does it concern you about the darkened color?

From what I have learned about the oil changing color Tom is that's from cumbustion contamination getting into the oil. If a gas powered engine is run on propane then the oil will almost never discolor as propane burns so clean.
        I use petroleum oil but I may take a look at synt. as I do not put to many miles on the cars and may not need to change so much. I also like that synt. has a much higher burnoff then petroeum oil too.

Comment

I run 20w50 Valvoline racing (dyno) in the Chevelle. Used to use straight 40wt racing, until it got hard to find.

A guy came up to me in the pits and asked why I jacked the car up and heated up the rear diff before I raced. He convinced me to switch to Amzoil synthetic diff and said I could eliminate pre-heating it up. I switched and at the end of the season I had literally destroyed the G&G posi unit. I had to pound the center pin out, grind it off and finish pounding it out the other side.

My Camaro came with Syntec 5W30 and that's all I've ever used. I change it every 2k or sometimes less depending on how hard I run it. The car has 21k on it. I think 602hp thinks I'm crazy for using such a lightweight oil, but I'm not concerned about it.

I'd never run it in the Chevelle though because that car is clearanced different and sees mainly track only.

Comment

Your not crazy, crazy is crazy:lol:

Comment

crazy is crazier than crazy. lol

Comment

I use regular Castrol GTX and chang it every 3000 miles and my oil is never black its alwas clean.

Comment

I have always used petroleum and did so all summer in the Trans Am. I am thinking about using syn this summer.

Comment

Plain old Kendall 20w50.

Comment

I use Mobile1 because thats what the old owner used otherwise just plain old 5w30 kendall

Comment

Originally posted by superford3 View Post
                        I use Mobile1 because thats what the old owner used otherwise just plain old 5w30 kendall
                        same with me, previous owner just switched to mobil 1 10w30 so thats what I'll keep using

Comment

Is anyone running non-detergent diesel oils like Rotella 15w40? It's suppose to still have the zinc-phosphate (ZDDP) additves that are being phased out of oil cuz it damages CATs or emissions.. Anyone else have any insight on this? Sounds like if your running a roller cam you don't have to worry though. CI4 or CF4 are the ratings to look for if your running a flat tappet cam.

Comment

Originally posted by jollywrencher View Post
                            Is anyone running non-detergent diesel oils like Rotella 15w40? It's suppose to still have the zinc-phosphate (ZDDP) additves that are being phased out of oil cuz it damages CATs or emissions.. Anyone else have any insight on this? Sounds like if your running a roller cam you don't have to worry though. CI4 or CF4 are the ratings to look for if your running a flat tappet cam.
                            I know with my previous car for break in the builder used a 5w30 non detergent, this was a 408 stroker

Comment

Originally posted by jollywrencher View Post
                              Is anyone running non-detergent diesel oils like Rotella 15w40?
                              I used that for cam break-in and that's what is currently in my car.

Comment

Working...
                              X