Sleeper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleeper

It seems that "Sleepers" are a thing of the past. They don't seem to be that popular any more. I do have to acknowlege the few excellent ones that exist locally. Some are less stealthy than others. The fact that it takes effort to downplay power, and alot of effort to disguise alot of power is certainly a factor. There are bonuses like the cloaking effect and the sucker race that can't be ignored. Thinking back, I guess there weren't that many sleepers at any given time. Funny how nostalgia can effect accurate recall. I wonder what the ratio of preference is? Sleeper verses flash?

I used to build them all the time Tom but there is not much left and I am getting very lazy. How about a astro cargo van with a 400sb and a hell of a lot-o-spray.
    Yes one would have to leave the dog dish hub caps on it very sneaky.

Comment

the last sleeper I had was an 82 delta 88 with a warmed up 350 rocket. Caught a few unsuspecting kids when everything got wound up and they heard the exhaust start barking. Even had the stock hubcaps on it. Was FAST by any means but was somewhat quick.

Comment

My car is a sleeper

Comment

Originally posted by superford3 View Post
          My car is a sleeper
          I would say the marauder is more of a sleeper

Comment

the ss is a definite sleeper

Comment

Sleeper

I think by the general shape of the body, that pony cars like mustangs and camaros probably can't be catagorized as sleepers. My idea of a sleeper would be something that doesn't hint of the hidden performance. I like Bob's idea with the van. Dean did that, and it was cool. Jon with the wagon. Bill with his Mopar panels and the gremlin. These are a few examples. I really like the concept. I tried to align my car close to the "Sleeper" guidelines. The trouble with that is my car is a 2 door, personal luxury body style. Those are probably the next in line for performance for body style right after pony cars. Also my car looks very similar to a Grand National, even the black color is the same. GNs are widely recognized as performance cars. Of course my car is no GN, but instead a luxo-barge.

Comment

I like big loopey cams too much to have a sleeper. I think its easier to build a sleeper now adays with forced induction.

Comment

considering an 80s cutlass was never really anything with either a pansy v6 or v8 that was terrible, i could put quiet exhaust on mine and tell them its a cruiser with the stock wheels and suspension

-Aaron
                  87 cutlass
                  76 olds 350/t56 3.73's
                  87 olds 442 - old mans ride
                  355 sbc, th200-4r, 3.73's

Comment

I had the idea of a sleeper for my '85 Camaro because of the condition of the body. The Thirdgens weren't known for their power either, which makes for a surprise to a few. My cam and exhaust also gives me away.

I like the idea of something no one would suspect. It attracts less unwanted attention and it's less to worry about. Makes for a good time catching people off guard as well.

Comment

Mines a sleeper when it not running.

Comment

Currently the closest thing you'll get to a modern sleeper might be some of the turbo deisel pick ups that are out there.

Comment

Originally posted by NewAgeOutlaw View Post
                          Currently the closest thing you'll get to a modern sleeper might be some of the turbo deisel pick ups that are out there.
                          How many have beat your Cobra?

Really though, these new trucks are getting pretty fast. Stock.

Comment

Turbo Deisel Pick Ups

Those trucks are truley amazing. They are way cool, being able to run 12s and 11s and still be a haul / tow vehicle.

Comment

I was sort've going for the sleeper look with my chevelle by going with the steel wheels and dog dish hubcaps. I'll be replacing the monster tach and gauges with a kneeknocker and the factory cluster. A clean dash is what I'm going for with maybe a shift light in the ash tray. I'm very happy with the factory looking raised valve covers that clear the roller rockers and locks yet looks completely stock.

Comment

Working...
                              X