Worst thing that have hapened to you at the track

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst thing that have hapened to you at the track

Tell us your horror stories about your car troubles at the track.

My first one was when I broke the 4spd. on the first run and had no way home.
    My 2nd. was when I drove to to the creek raced untill the final round then broke the what I thought was rear axle and turned out to be another 4spd.
    had to wait untill midnight to get home.
    My 3rd. put the car in reverse at 90mph at the grove that trans was never the same after that.
    Dam cheap gm 4spds.:lol:

I too scared to go the track with my ten bolt. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
      I too scared to go the track with my ten bolt. lol
      That is like racing with a saginaw 4spd. POP when you look at it. They are ok if you have an auto.

Comment

Originally posted by 602hp View Post
        That is like racing with a saginaw 4spd. POP when you look at it. They are ok if you have an auto.
        Jody (waterbug) has cut a 1.45 with his ten bolt auto car.

Comment

With and auto I bet.

Comment

yep

Comment

I have not had too many bad things at the track, but a couple years ago with my syclone I put a couple rods through the oil pan on the first weekend out in the spring, but made a mad dash to have it back up in running in less then 2 weeks

Comment

About 20 years ago I was racing at BIR and had made it to the semi finals. There were three of us left and each of the other two cars had already had their bye-run. It was my turn for my single pass, but my gas hand was down to about an 1/8. It was obviously late in the day so the pumps were shut off. I wanted to make a full throttle pass so I could dial the car closer for the championship.

I walked over to a guy with a 10 sec Charger and asked if he had any gas I could buy. He said he'd give me the gas since I had made it to the finals. I put the gas in and made a full pass and ran a 12.02. I came back and had to run Dave Hagberg's '67 R/T. I dialed a 12.03 to his 12.07. I knew if I got the nose of my car in front of him off the line, "it was over". Well I had a 1/2 fender advantage off the line, but as the tach went to 5600 it felt like it was way too lean and he immediately made up the advantage I had enjoyed. We were neck and neck the rest of the way...too close to call until his win lite came on. He ran .03 over and I ran .06 over. My light was better, but the car fell a little flat.

The guy with the Charger came over and asked what happened and I told him. He said "oh by the way...did you jet it up?" I said no. He said the gas he gave me was C14 or something and it requires you to fatten it up.

The guy in the '67 R/T pulled into the winners circle and took pictures while I watched and settled for runner-up.

Comment

Nothing dramatic but once had bad gas and spent the entire time trying different tuning adjustments while the car stumbled and stalledand when I thought I couldn't feel any dumber, I put cheap pump gas in for the drive home and it ran great. For another lesson in humility, back in the late '80's I had a guy ( who I affectionately refer to as the hack) make several "improvements" to Steve Vermeer's combination (a mild 440 running 11.80's in a 3860 lb. car). When he was finished, we took the car to Cedar Falls where it ran consistent 13.50's all day. It took me over two years to unhack the car with the most baffling problem being a half fried MSD6 box. The first call to MSD, I was told "...it either works or it doesn't...". A friend calls MSD a year later and they ask if any welding had been done to the car with the unit plugged in or the battery hooked up... The hack had done some exhaust work so I replaced the box and picked up 8 f*#@ing tenths and the car was back where it started from.

Comment

Working...
                  X