engine masters challenge recipies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine masters challenge recipies

How many here look to the emc winning examples for their secret engine building recipes? our local hero here is dave storlien.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng.../photo_05.html

For those that are not aware, this is the annual super bowl of engine building contests that's sole purpose is to showcase the engine combos that work the best. Many new technologies and some that are secret find there way into public hands because of this competition. This is put on by popular hot rodding magazine that awards money and promises good press for those competitors that do well. The rules of the challenge are such that a good emc engine would make for an excellent all-around streetable killer machine and many of the lessons learned can be replicated for other builds such as ours.
    Last edited by big block fiero; 02-24-2008, 01:16 PM.

very cool.....

Comment

Mine is Joe Shermann 550hp last year with stock vortecs and hyd cam and 9.1 comp. 355.

Comment

BES racing engines won it last year,

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng...day/index.html

It took joe sherman almost a year to receive his winnings and he had to collect it himself directly from the sponsors, he was not to happy with this arrangement so I'm not sure how eager he is to continually participate. John kaase doesn't seem to mind and so he continues annually and has won it twice and missed the third time by only one point. He would have won the third if we hadn't been so conservatively safe with his displacement claim.

Comment

The best score anyone has ever gotten in the ECM is John Kaase for 2008. He won by a fair margin and is now doing something different then has ever been done before. The description of why is more involved and not to waste your time (for now) but the write up in ECM magazine didn't completely reveal his secrets. I think he's keeping his new recipe private and so far he hasn't returned my messages but maybe someone can help me fill in the blanks. I can't find my copy of ECM magazine since I figured this out and cant find one on the news stand, so here's the question -----------

How many degrees BTDC does his intake valve open?

And to start into some discussion maybe we all can agree that A narrower lobe centerline angle is generally selected if the heads don't flow adequately. The revealing part of the story is that his heads obviously flow very well but yet he is running A 98 degree LCA. On top of that I suspect his cam is advanced quite A bit and the story may say how much.

Suspiciously, darin morgan also ran a very narrow LCA but he isn't giving any numbers either.

Comment

98 LCA ?!?

interesting.......

Comment

http://blogs.popularhotrodding.com/6...nge/index.html

this my favorite, considering how much of a dog a stock 307 olds is.

-Aaron
              87 cutlass
              76 olds 350/t56 3.73's
              87 olds 442 - old mans ride
              355 sbc, th200-4r, 3.73's

Comment

Boy this is an old thread but no matter, Matt my feeling on this are that these guys who build these engines should have to put them in real cars that then let's see them perform. As for the 98 lca I do know that a lc that close will hurt top end but I suspect that there is a lot of lobe manipulation going on here. I like a 106 lca but on the street that can hurt mileage also.

I would like to see here is the Engine masters challange go to "can use only off the shelf parts" and that way it would be real world for the little guy, That way everyone could build an engine like that. Secret cams are just part of the game on this as well as secret carbs these guys use too.

I know that I was surprised what my 350 vortec engine made at the rear wheels and it shows what chevy was able to do with the newer tech stuff that's available. Ford and Mopar have some good stuff too and that why I believe in the new stuff vs. older parts.
                I do have some carb secrets Shhhhhh......can't let those slip out though.

Comment

several EMC engines have gone on to set track records usually with a cam change for durability, and many have changed new product technologies. It is true that the cams barely make it threw the challenge before they are toast but thats what happens when you make A near roller grind on a flat tappet cam, Next year roller cams will be allowed. Yes there is at times more sustained load in a chassis then on the dyno but that can be cured with minor changes. Putting one of these motors in anyones street car is very feasible with a simple roller cam replacement. Certainly with that narrow centerline angle, part throttle efficiency is poor but at full throttle (which is where we are at most of the time) things couldn't be better and we don't have to worry about those oxide of nitrogen pollutants.

More on those carborator secrets
                  Last edited by big block fiero; 01-07-2009, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Ok, so I found out that Kaase's intakes open at 30.5 degrees BTDC and whats interesting is that harold (comp cams) said that one of the most successful cams he has seen in this 2500-6500 rpm range (also opened at 30 degrees BTDC) and was a track proven champion that dominated the NDRA in 85-86, was advanced 7 degrees with a 102 LCA.

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14322

Comment

Don't get me going on CC garbage, Thier so called Magnum and Hi Energy cams that I have used in the past make less power and slower ET's than any of the other cams that I have used. I tried some cheapo elgin cams and got way better performance than the CC stuff. They do have good products but the cams and their help line is crap. Anyone who asks me what cam to run I always find somthing better.
                      I used to run General Kinetics cams years ago untill they went out of buisness but I think Howards Cams picked up their grinds. Crower is very good also, I have used several Cirlcle track grinds in the past and those have worked very well too.

Comment

CC used to be the real deal when they first came out. I really liked the 268H in the wife's 396 Camaro.

Comment

Originally posted by Z28SSMAN View Post
                          CC used to be the real deal when they first came out. I really liked the 268H in the wife's 396 Camaro.
                          Still have an original 268h in the 400 that's in the '63 then CC change the ramps as too many people complained about lifter noise due to the fast ramps. The next ones were not as good. Had a friend who wanted one of the first run 268h grinds and all CC said is they don't make that one anymore, I got on the phone and asked to speak to one of the people who does the custom grinds and they made one up that way. Doctor G used to have an old 300h grind in his monza and with all stock heads that little car of his was pretty hard to beat. I still have the 1976 CC book to use if I ever want some of their good stuff ground up.

Comment

i put a 268h in my brothers s10 years back-badass cam!

Comment

The greatest comp cam in history, Jon Kaase's EMC record breaker for 2008.

Comment

Working...
                              X