No announcement yet.

What is a street car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well Ihate to say this but an 88 would have less pollution control equipment than a 98 and with twin turbo's you'd have to be pushin' out more pollutant's than the standard's set for most of the rest of us........again tabs and ins. and imho is a street car.....

Comment

I try to respect everyone's opinion (at least until they disrespect mine) but what I really want to hear about is peoples' own experiences. For example," I dropped my car down to only 5" clearance, but it hasn't been a problem or that 5000 rpm stall converter really cooked my trans. while trying to cruise...". I realize everybody's tolerance is different, but for "street" cars at least the applications should be similar. My mistakes are nearly always expensive so I try to learn from others.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill M

I didn't miss my PS or AC at all. I won't go without pw or pl though.
        lol

Comment

Man steering, brakes, windows, locks, got the window for air, the only thing that would be nice is PS.

Comment

Originally posted by Morvo View Post
            I have a Roadrunner that may or may not be considered a "street car". If I should have the good fortune to be victorious in a speed contest, what will my car need to have (or not have) to avoid the oppositions excuse "... well of course, you have a race car...".
            braks lights and lisensplats and head lights thats all

Comment

If you drive it on the street, it's a street car.

I guess if you're not looking at the legal interpretation which is not an opinion, then I would say it depends on how much the driver can tolerate. There are some Vette's and F-bodies that came from the factory which were too much for many people to tolerate. (IIRC, the Z-51 84 Vette and the 1LE version of the F-Bodies in the late '80's, for example.) You could change to solid bushings and lighter suspension that couldn't handle the pot holes we often have, and it wouldn't last very long for the driver or the car.

Now, this is a real street car, the kind the liberals want you to ride in:

Comment

My personal street car desire is reflected in what I ve done with my fiero. Allot of cubes, all cheap and easy to find production car parts. A bit under one hp per cubic inch with sound deadening exhaust manifolds, 5000rpm redline, cylinder deactivation so it runs on four cylinders, better mileage, runs cooler, more manageable in traffic and sounds like a four cylinder. Stock appearance inside and out (but not under the hood), a switch-pitch converter (1000-2500 stall), and resonators before the mufflers for a dead quiet sound. I could spray or turbo this but what I have now is very deceptively streetable.

Comment

Street car, "Desire"

Brett, it looks as if there are as many opinions as replys. Certainly the point about legality for various years comes into consideration. I'd be willing to bet that there is violations to the vehicle code on lots of our cars, even when applied to the specific year. The point about how user friendly and comfortable for more than a short while is a major consideration IMHO. I'm thinking your car will be covering those bases in spades. I think anybody who uses the race car excuse deserves whatever label witnesses hang on him. If a guy brings out his way less streetable car than the "Runner", I say more power to him for braving the discomfort. I enjoy watching the (BIG BOYS) play. They are the most entertaining, and sometimes closer to race than street.

Comment

Working...
                  X