X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 killed after Maryland Street Race

Thoughts?

By SARAH KARUSH, Associated Press Writer Sun Feb 17, 8:24 PM ET

WASHINGTON - Despite complaints, illegal street racers have roared for more than 20 years down the flat, straight stretch of Maryland highway where eight fans were killed this weekend, a community leader said Sunday

Stan Fetter, president of the Indian Head Highway Area Action Council, blamed a thin police presence in the suburban Washington area for the ongoing problem.
    "The police tend to get distracted by things closer to D.C., so no one's ever there," Fetter said. "They tend to forget about it."
    Neighbors have complained that the late-night events block off access to Route 210 from some side streets, he said.

Police say they are aware of reckless driving on the street 20 miles from Washington in Prince George's County and have been working to address it.
    Authorities neighboring Charles County said it's tough to crack down on the underground races because the people who arrange them are well-organized and have lookouts for miles.
    "There's going to be no stopping them," said Sheila Howard, a paramedic in Charles County and one of the first on the scene Saturday. "There are always going to be drag racers. And they carry scanners. They know when the police are coming to them."
    Early Saturday, a car apparently unconnected to a street race plowed into fans who had spilled into the roadway, just after two racing cars had sped off. Eight people were killed.
    Smoke from the racers' spinning tires, along with the pre-dawn darkness, may have obscured the people, police said.
    The driver's name has not been released, and police said there are no charges pending against him.
    Police hope to interview more witnesses and are urging anyone at the scene to come forward. But they are not actively looking for the drivers who were taking part in the illegal race because they were not directly involved in the crash, Prince George's County police Cpl. Arvel Lewis said.
    Police on Sunday released the names of six victims. They are Mark Courtney, 33, of Leonardtown; Daryl Wills, 38, of Clinton; Maycol Lopez, 20, of Gaithersburg; Blaine Briscoe, 49, of La Plata; William Gaines, 61, of Nanjemoy; and Ervin Gardner, 39, of Oxon Hill.
    The identities of the other two have not been confirmed, Lewis said.
    Another seven people, including the driver, a passenger, and five race spectators, were injured, Lewis said. Two of the spectators were in serious condition Sunday, he said. The injuries of all the others were not considered life-threatening, he said.
    Relatives and friends of several of the victims returned to the crash site Sunday to erect memorials of flowers, crosses and candles.
    Irma Harris, a friend of Gardner, brought balloons with pictures of race cars on what would have been his birthday.
    "It's just grief," she said through tears. "It's just a hurting feeling to have him taken like that."

___ Associated Press writers Stephanie Stoughton and Haraz N. Ghanbari contributed to this report.

ya that is terrible......

Comment

The only street race I remember that someone was killed at around here was when some girl stepped out in front of a car on east river road and that was in the 90's.
      Stupid people do stupid things.

Comment

the vehicles makes, sex and ages of individuals involved has me questioning the scenerio. i'm not sure i would consider it much of a "race" but nevertheless it's too bad it happened.

Comment

Originally posted by 602hp View Post
          The only street race I remember that someone was killed at around here was when some girl stepped out in front of a car on east river road and that was in the 90's.
          Stupid people do stupid things.
          I was there when that happened, that was a terrible night and i remember like it was yesterday, when your not paying attention thats when stuff like this happens

Comment

While it's a sad occurrence, I think it was pretty stupid to "spill into the street" after the two race cars left the starting line. Having hoards of people at a street race is pretty stupid as well! Not trying to "down-play" what happened but it very easily could have been avoided.

Comment

Originally posted by HerrKooled View Post
              the vehicles makes, sex and ages of individuals involved has me questioning the scenerio. i'm not sure i would consider it much of a "race" but nevertheless it's too bad it happened.
              what were the vehicle makes?? and what do you mean the sex and ages?? They were all guys and they range from 20 - 61, I dont get what you are saying???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5aBGVPVe0g

Comment

its too bad......but thats what happens when you put 8 people in the middle of a highway!!! dumb-- streetrace or not dont play in the street where cars are

Comment

The Maryland forums that these street racers visit are saying that the 20 year old driver of the crown vic was drunk, and running from police with his lights off because he had a suspended license. Notice that the press wont tell about the police involvement that lead to the crash but yet they take this opportunity to bash street racing which had absolutely nothing to do with it. This was an older (non ricer) crowd that I'm sure was quite similar to what we see here.

Comment

What happened was a tragedy, but we live in an imperfect world. Despite having to conform to a litany of rules and regulations imposed by the NHRA, you still have to sign a waiver to race at a track. Risk is inherent in racing no matter where it takes place and this should be realized and accepted by everyone involved (including spectators). I believe auto accidents are the number one cause of death in America for people under 35, but are you willing to give up driving?

Comment

Working...
                    X