Peanut Port engine now Closed Chambered engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peanut Port engine now Closed Chambered engine

After the last race I decided to take the engine apart for some changes, boy am I glad I did. There was oil in places that were not supposed to be, on the piston crowns, in the ports and in the intake. Seems the high volume pump does overwhelm the oiling system with a stock pan. I did put some new moly rind, bearings and a std. volume pump in the engine along with an 8 qt. truck pan which I will only put 6 qts. in to keep the windage down. The other new thing is I am going back to my 1993 combo with 215 heads the Crower cam and the Team G intake I acquired recently. The best I ran with this was 11.63 but that was with a Power Glide and a ing problem that kept me from rpm-ing the engine back then so that 11.63 was with a little 600 Holley shifting at 5200 RPM. So I hope with some og the new stuff in the car I can better that time, plus I have my own valve job on the heads. We will see what transpires soon.

Well went out but the results were less than stellar. It ran the same as the old combo that had a smaller carb and a P/G. I have now gone back to the Air Gap and smaller headers, I did put a new cam in the BB with a wider LCA broke it in today and it seems pretty responsive. I guess time will tell if it's any quicker if not the 358 will be going back in and I will get rid of the boat anchors.

Comment

Get that big square port engine you have in that Camaro and let'er buck

Comment

So far the closed chambered heads have been very disappointing. They have been quicker that the PP heads but that was with a bigger cam, single plane and large tube headers. Not much gain for all the changes. The next change will be dramatic.

Comment

It's "FIXED" turns out to be the roller rockers and too heavy of a retainer, replaced both car pulls to 6200 on the street with ease so I am going out this weekend to test it. I think the top end is back. No more testing after that as I have to help my son work on his new house.

Comment

Well...........I though this was going to be a good day at the track but boy was I humbled. It turned out I have a fuel delivery problem as I found watching the gopro videos, may watch at the track now so I can isolate problems sooner. Seems the fuel pressure would drop to 1 psi for a split second causing a nasty hesitation on almost all the carbs I tried. Took the Mallory 140 pump that has been on the car off today and except for some trash in the inlet screen it loos great after 27 years. I am going to put the comp 250 pump in the car and change the cam back to a solid lifter cam, the hyd cam sucks in a BBC. There is a guy who calls himself Vortecpro that claimed this like of Summit cams made his car run in the high tens, I cal BS on that. These cams are done by 5500 just like the info on them says, seems he forgot to say that he was testing a ton of cams that I found on different sites inc hyd. roller cams so how can you believe anything a guy like that says.
            Guy seems legit but his combos are quite questionable IMO.

Comment

Been spending a lot of time tracking down my lean trouble and I think I found it last night. I am going to put the Mallory Comp 250 pump in that flows fuel like the fire dept. hoses spray water and I had to add a return line to the tank on the top. I decide to pull the foam out of the fuel cell to see how it is after 27 years, to my surprise it was pretty good but, RCI had the foam in vertical and when I pulled the center piece out there it was a HUGE dent in the area where the inlet goes for the NOS pump that I was using to test on the last race. I suspect that anything that is blocking the inlet side to the pump IMO is a restriction and if I get a chance to race again this year a will test that theory out. Funny thing was that the other inlet was only mildly pushed in on the foam and did not have that issue but there have been stuff like this in the past. Maybe I will not have to change squirters every time I race.

Comment

Made all kinds of changes in the last couple of weeks. Doing to try and go out this weekend. Hopefully the car will be better after what I found.

Comment

Well like a broken record I think it's "fixed again" LOL, so the plan is to go out this last time with the old solid cam that I had in earlier this year and a single plane intake on it again. Hope to get some better times this weekend. Spent a good amount of time on the fuel system.

Comment

Went out today and only had 3 runs and as usual no performance gains. I swear these heads are jinxed. Even my old closed chamber heads in the old days went better than these suckers did. I am going to retire this engine for a while and get back to my 406 and 358, got some little tricks that might make the car go a tick better next year. So much for BBC stuff, Again. Just don't seem to have any luck with them.

UPDATE: After doing a little search I have found something interesting. Seems I have the 2 wires from the MSD box that run from the pickup coil are reversed. I have 2 different wiring diagrams and both are different and the latest has the white wire being the + and the green the - so I will switch them this spring. I will test it this fall if it's not too cold outside and it will show the difference in the timing, supposedly if it is reversed the thing will be retarded. We will see.
                    Last edited by MR.hp; 10-24-2019, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Well it's Nov. and I know there is no racing (bummer) but I have the heat on in the garage and it's sure nice to get stuff done for next year. This week I swapped out the old HEI for a new MSD dizzy 7AL2 and coil. I have to say I think this is going to help as when I got the car running, now when you advance the dizzy it picks up RPM just like the old days with other cars I have owned. My HEI would not do this anymore so I am sure this will help and the spark is nice bright blueish white. Timing with the light is more stable and does not move at all and that's the big reason for the change.
                      The closed chamber heads will be gone over the winter and I will be using the new L-29 Vortec heads that I am porting. If they don't work out then I will go to a set of done ported 360 peanut port head along with 12.1 pistons. That should help the power supply out.

Comment

Got the CC heads apart and I can see where they need a ton of work. I guess I will stick to open chambered stuff form now on. Just more power for free.

Comment

I thought you were gonna go back to sbc? I'm gonna eventually need to upgrade to better heads on the Chevelle. I always thought the one reason was to get hardened valve seats so I don't have to run leaded gas. First want to get rid of the Mallory YL and super coil and a bunch of other basic stuff that's been neglected.

Comment

Originally posted by Z28SSMAN View Post
                            I thought you were gonna go back to sbc? I'm gonna eventually need to upgrade to better heads on the Chevelle. I always thought the one reason was to get hardened valve seats so I don't have to run leaded gas. First want to get rid of the Mallory YL and super coil and a bunch of other basic stuff that's been neglected.
                            Ya I am going to run a 406 this coming spring, then after testing I should have some of the BBC engines ready to go. Get a set of 781 or 049's and that Chevelle will be golden. All we will have to do is some cleanup valve guides and tiny bit of grinding in the ports ant they will be golden. Bet my set of 236 peanut port heads would make that 454 smoke the wienies.

Comment

Working...
                            X