Racers passing away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racers passing away

I remember this racer. Quite competitive.
    Did you know him, Bob?

March 17 at 1:12 PM
    Herbert Keath Newstrom, 79, passed away on March 16, 2019. Born in Brainerd, MN on May 19, 1939, he was baptized and confirmed at First Congregational Church of Aitkin.

Active in sports and music, he graduated Aitkin HS; then received an Associate degree from Brainerd JC, a BA and BS from St. Cloud State, and a MS from University of Missouri. He taught at Lakeville HS, Plymouth JH, and Robbinsdale Armstrong HS, retiring in 1998; then serving as Diver Ed Coordinator for Armstrong and Cooper HS until 2004.

Keath’s hobby was stock drag racing. Using the moniker Starshine Racing, he won many awards at Brainerd International Raceway and other venues. He was a member and board member of MDRA, and a member of GSTA.

Keath married Kay Carlson, a teacher in Fridley ISD, on Sept. 3, 1994; enjoying almost 25 years of marriage and becoming a member of Prince of Peace Lutheran Church.

Preceded in death by his parents, Herbert and Janette Newstrom, he is survived by his wife, Kay; a brother, Rick and wife, Kathy; a nephew, Matt; and many other relatives and friends.

Funeral services will be at 11:00 AM, Friday, March 22, at Prince of Peace LC, 7217 W Broadway Ave, Brooklyn Park, MN 55428. Visitation one hour prior to service. Burial at Fron Cemetery, Starbuck, MN later this spring.

Memorials may be made to Prince of Peace LC; the Community Emergency Assistance Program, 7051 Brooklyn Blvd, Minneapolis, 55429; or a charity of choice.

Here's another:

Update on Richard (Dick) Johnson. Family Affair Race Team Obituary. Richard D. Johnson, age 79, of Danbury, WI, passed away unexpectedly at his home on April 1, 2019.

The Visitation will be held on Saturday, April 13, 2019 from 1:00pm - 4:00pm at Swedberg-Taylor Funeral Home in Webster, WI

Comment

You're right Glenn, these guys and gals are going fast, mostly because they are not taking better care of their health. I liked Keith he used to give me his old slick if I would mount his new ones for free. Never bought a new one until the 80's. RIP Keith.

Comment

Yeah, I didn't realize they both were close to 80 though.

Comment

Lost another racer a couple days ago. Gary Bolander. I never met him. I remember the dad racing at northstar. I guess he passed away a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Z28SSMAN View Post
            Lost another racer a couple days ago. Gary Bolander. I never met him. I remember the dad racing at northstar. I guess he passed away a few years ago.
            Wow, that brings back memories. I remember watching Gary street race all the time. In the late 80's Gary went out to race a '70 Cuda that has a plate on it that said 9 sec. Gary's car was no slouch either, the two cars did their burnouts and they staged. The Cuda pulled a huge wheel stand with Gary behind by a car length. The Cuda went on to demolish Gary's car and I made a comment to my buddy that Gary got his ass handed to him. The girl standing next to me said that's my Dad's car and it's fast, I told her "not tonight". I watched Gary try to get his 9 sec. time through most of the 90's and the best I ever saw was 10.03, not sure if he ever got id but that green 68 Chevelle was one fast car. Gary was a crabby guy and always gave Bill Clugh shit all the time as Bill could not beat him. RIP Gary

Comment

Sad to hear we lost Paul Kjornes yesterday.

Comment

Yeah. It was a tough loss. Paul was a long time friend.

Comment

Working...
                X