Turbo 400 after 24 years of abuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo 400 after 24 years of abuse

I decided after 24 years of beating the crap out of the Camaro to take a look at the turbo 400 for a rebuild. So last night I popped out the front pump and took out all 3 clutch packs and expected to see some well, worn out stuff, you know what I found?, a transmission that could go another 24 years. The clutches were all in mint shape with no signs of burning or wear. The Kolene steels were kind of glazed but that's to be expected. The only band and a touch of a burn in the center but other than it needing a new gear in the front pump it's getting new clutches and seals for another 24 years of use. The reason I thing it needs a pump gear as I am pretty sure the pump is being pulled out too far into the ring gear so I will have to add some thick washers to fix that. All in all I was really impressed with what I found. Glenn tell you brother he needs a turbo 400 in that old 68 Camaro of his.

Wow, that's amazing. Hard to beat a Turbo-400. I remember when they first came out. Always liked the sound of the planetary gears and the 2nd gear tire chirp. Brother got his powerglide back from TCI. Hope he has no more problems. You think turbo-400 better for SBC and powerglide better for BBC?

Comment

Originally posted by Z28SSMAN View Post
      Wow, that's amazing. Hard to beat a Turbo-400. I remember when they first came out. Always liked the sound of the planetary gears and the 2nd gear tire chirp. Brother got his powerglide back from TCI. Hope he has no more problems. You think turbo-400 better for SBC and powerglide better for BBC?
      Would not matter if it's a SB or a BB what matters is that the more TQ. a car generates the better one can make use of a P/G Turbo 400's in their stock form can handle a ton of power, the key is getting a small tire car to hook it. Turbo 350's are the same deal except that they are more prone to busting sprags. Hope your brother can have some fun with that car now.

Comment

Working...
      X