Hobart vs. Harbor Freight shielded wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobart vs. Harbor Freight shielded wire

Anyone else have a Mig Welder?, I have 2, my good old Hobart Handler 120 and a new Hobart MPV 210 (110 or 220V). Both work great but after getting the newer one I converted my 120 over to Shielded welding wire. After reading good reviews on Harbor Freights wire a couple of years ago I bought some for 10 bucks and it welds pretty good. Moving along to this week I was reading on a welding site Hobart, Miller and others have better shielded wire. So I go to Mills and looked for it and got some Hobart wire @20 bucks. This stuff welds so much better than the HF stuff it was not even close.

HF> Welds ok, sticks in the liner at times and welds were so-so
    Hobart> Welds very good to excellent, consistency of the wire is very good and this stuff penetrates the metal better than any other wire I have tested.
    Even on the lowest setting it will blow holes in the thin metal if you are not carful. I give the Hobart wire 5 stars, the HF wire 3 stars.

What projects are you welding now?

Comment

I haven't used flux core in a long time, but I recall we used to run it in my friends little 110 welder. I'm pretty sure it was the hobart stuff. welds alright but the spatter gets old for me. however I did pick up some hf magnets. cheapest ones i've found and worked for this.

I picked this guy up in december, everlast 251, and finally got it set up and started building myself a welding table/bench. just need to trim the top legs down a bit as I decided to put casters on it to be able to move it around. Had some time on friday/saturday and got it mostly done.

-Aaron
      87 cutlass
      76 olds 350/t56 3.73's
      87 olds 442 - old mans ride
      355 sbc, th200-4r, 3.73's

Comment

That welder you have is a nice unit, I did weld some more stuff this week, this welding wire is the best I have ever used for shielded wire. Very nice penetrating welds, way better that the welder ever made with argon.

Comment

Working...
        X