LS1 Cathedral vs. LS3 Rectangle port

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LS1 Cathedral vs. LS3 Rectangle port

There's no arguing that Bob has a ton of experience about knowing which heads make the best power on the SBC. He knows how to get the most power from properly altering port and floor areas too.

I wondered whether the same rules applied to the new gen LS and LT. I guess I was surprised to learn that the head comparison below confirmed what Bob has said all along. It's a relief to know that my old cathedral port heads aren't out of date after all though.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/ght...-head-to-head/

Thoughts?

Originally posted by Z28SSMAN View Post
    There's no arguing that Bob has a ton of experience about knowing which heads make the best power on the SBC. He knows how to get the most power from properly altering port and floor areas too.

I wondered whether the same rules applied to the new gen LS and LT. I guess I was surprised to learn that the head comparison below confirmed what Bob has said all along. It's a relief to know that my old cathedral port heads aren't out of date after all though.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/ght...-head-to-head/

Thoughts?
    Thanks Glenn, This is still no different than the oval vs. square port head stuff again. What I think is funny, that these clowns at Super Chevy are putting these big heads on built engines t make the LS3 head look better. No doubt that a modified higher compression engine will fair far better than a lower compression one. Take the LS3 bone stock for example in the Gen V Camaro those cars are dogs but change the heads, intake and what ever else you need to use the cathedral port heads is it will pull like a big dawg, Why?, port velocity. Big heads are just that BIG and they need one thing, A big ass engine to make them work. Here one more example, you would not take a 360 CI. Sb Chevy and put 356cc heads on it with a big cam and low compression would you?, no, it would be a total pig, but take that same engine and put some nice 200 or 220cc head on it and a smaller cam along with the same compression and that 360 will scream. Here is how I would fix the LS3 head, I would epoxy the port floor about a 1/4 to 3/8" and that would fix a lot of the problems right there. LS engines do have some nice stuff compared to 1st Gen SB but it still get down to port volume and port speed. Smaller is still better on a small C.I. engine.

Glenn, remember when we went for a ride in the '05 GTO with the 6.0 auto? that car was a dog, your Camaro out shined those stock 6.0's any day of the week. Maybe that's why all these clowns around town turbo everything, that can't build a fast N/A car.

Comment

Working...
    X