Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone played with low boost turbo setups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone played with low boost turbo setups?

I keep circling back to trying something crazy and putting a hair dryer on my olds 350 with a blow through setup. maybe small twins.

maybe something like a home modified 4150 to survive some boost, run a msd box that pulls timing.

Anyone done something like this? I'd probably keep it tame for now and only run something like 5-7psi until I blow up this stock motor. Maybe push it and see if I could get to 400+ before it blows up. Then put something together later that I can turn up a bit more.

Is there anyone local playing with this stuff? I haven't even thought about doing anything motor wise to it in so long idk who's still around? Sizing a turbo is not something i've done, and reading things on the internet can only get you so far sometimes.

Not interested in going FI, at least not with this.

-Aaron
    87 cutlass
    76 olds 350/t56 3.73's
    87 olds 442 - old mans ride
    355 sbc, th200-4r, 3.73's

Fast Eddy would be the guy to ask here about turbo's and carbs.

Comment

For a blowthru to work well you need big boosters in the carb, for the cost a CSU prepped carb, it's the way to go. Cheaper then pistons! They will upgrade a used holley.
      A Borg Warner S400 75mm compressor and a 96mm turbine would give you room to grow.
      Start with a smaller turbine housing then go to a 1.32 when you turn things up.

Comment

anywhere local that is a distributor for borg warner? Or should I just go with something like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BorgWarner-T...-/322440291699

I'll try to find someone that makes the conversion for something like a 1.1 ar housing like you mentioned. any idea the difference in rpm that a 1.32 housing would spool vs something closer to 1.1? I'd imagine this would still spool up by ~3500?

Maybe something closer to an 83mm with 1.10 would work better? originally I was thinking something in the 7xmm range with .96 to get it to spool with a t56 and lower rpm

found this one, with a 1.15 housing that swaps out.

http://www.htturbo.com/product-p/14961019007.htm

hmm. so many options
        Last edited by smooth_358; 03-06-2017, 05:49 AM.

-Aaron
        87 cutlass
        76 olds 350/t56 3.73's

Comment

don't need a lot of boost. use less boost more nos....

Comment

considered it, turbo's are just so much easier on equiptment.

besides, who has a turbo olds that you can think of. kind of a challenge.
            Last edited by smooth_358; 03-07-2017, 02:49 PM.

-Aaron
            87 cutlass
            76 olds 350/t56 3.73's

Comment

Forced induction has a 72mm or 75mm S400 for $649
              Forced induction is the company that put the bigger compressor wheel in my turbo and they were easy to work with.
              http://forcedinductions.com/productsborgwarner.htm

Comment

Rereading the 5 to 7 psi and a stock 350 the turbos I listed are likely to big. But boost is addictive and a 455 with the 75mm would be a decent match.

Comment

ya, I'm leaning towards something t4 and in the 78/75 range. maybe a little smaller. I think low revving instant boost would be alright considering I will only rev it to maybe 6k max.

looking into a gn tank and in tank pump setup and other things to go along with this since those came baffled/sumped.

I wish this guy was still around, would love to have picked his brain a little bit and he was local. unfortunately he passed away a few years ago

stock 455 with twins, I think I had a big single on it first too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI9abUVy0Uc&t=83s

this was his last project before he passed. I think he said something about his meds making him shaky on real olds power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-Uk8jvYqz8

-Aaron
                  87 cutlass
                  76 olds 350/t56 3.73's

Comment

I like the idea of a smaller turbo for a street car, less on the big power and more instant boost is sweet. Give Forced Induction a call they seem to know their stuff.

Comment

I'll do that.

might have to hit up some swapmeets to find myself a holley dp. maybe around a 750. unless bob's got one laying around?

-Aaron
                      87 cutlass
                      76 olds 350/t56 3.73's

Comment

Unless things have changed a bunch I would think CSU would build you a 650 DP

Comment

after looking at the cost of those csu carbs ~900 bucks... I think I might jump this thing into the future and go with a fi setup. The FItech setup or maybe the new holley sniper efi setup have caught my eye.. compact setup with the ecu built into it, built in 2 bar map/fp regulator, etc.

http://fitechefi.com/products/30004/

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/550-516

Probably run a racetronix fuel pump setup with a gn/monte tbi style factory baffled tank.

A little more money than the low buck build I wanted to go with, but a tuneable efi setup seems like a better direction to go with this as far as drivability with a turbo

-Aaron
                          87 cutlass
                          76 olds 350/t56 3.73's

Comment

well, the parts gathering has begun. Going to get this stuff set up, then try and get the timing control squared away as step two. Once all of that is working how I want it to, then i'll start to fab up some turbo pipes, and see if I can manage to get it together by the end of the year or not.

-Aaron
                            87 cutlass
                            76 olds 350/t56 3.73's

Comment

Keep us posted on how the FI Tech works. Seriously thinking of getting it for my boy's 409 Bisky.

Comment

Working...
                              X