5th Gen Camaro's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5th Gen Camaro's

So I looked into getting a new 6th gen Camaro and found that a SS is almost 10K more than the V6 car, what a f-ing rip by GM just to have a V8. So I started to look at what makes a 5th gen so slow, I know that they are heavy but lose the crappy wheels and tires and knock off a ton right there. One could also guess that GM built a turd and they did not even know it, by putting the heads and cam they used in the LS3 engine they may have inadvertently recreated the 375hp 396 slug car all over again. Anyone with a half ass knowledge about what make an N/A car work should be able to figure this out, I did. So I think I will wait until that get cheap enough and score me one then go out and make a 6th gen killer. Should be fun and make an honest easy 500hp with some not so spendy mods (no blowers, turbo's or NOS) it will be my next project.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/pro...ght-reduction/

Comment

Been reading up some more on these slug cars, seems the 5th gens also have 3.00 to 1 low gear in the T6060 6 spd trannys too!. Wow with heads that flow 330 cfm, 6.2 liters, why are these cars so slow?, could it be that there is no velocity in the upper end along with the tiny cam?, makes one wonder what GM is thinking sometimes. I have read some articles that with a cam change only some of the LS3's are putting down some big numbers at the rear wheels. I do like how getting rid of the ugly wheels and switching over the brakes dumped like an easy 200lbs. I am sure one could get rid of another couple hundred more too. Well if I can get one cheap you guys may just see some ET's that may surprise you.

Comment

If the 5th-gen Camaro's LS3 is tuned anything like the 415 HP/415 lb-ft 6.2L in the Pontiac G8 GXP I test-drove back in 2009, it's probably an area under the curve issue. Peak torque was way up in the 4,500+ RPM range. Ugh.

Joel
        Last edited by Fast One; 12-23-2015, 10:33 PM.
        There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. - Frank Zappa

Comment

Originally posted by Fast One View Post
          If the 5th-gen Camaro's LS3 is tuned anything like the 415 HP/415 lb-ft 6.2L in the Pontiac G8 GXP I test-drove back in 2009, it's probably an area under the curve issue. Peak torque was way up in the 4,500+ RPM range. Ugh.

Joel
          You could be right on that Joel, I am willing to bet still that the LS3 heads are just too big for a 364 ci. in. engine, 265cc runner intake ports are HUGE and going to be very lazy on anything buy a high compression race engine. The first thing I would do is either add epoxy to the port floors to fix the problem or the easier way would be to put a set of ported 6.0 heads on it as they are around 235cc runners. Going to say from what I have learned on heads that velocity is more important than max flow numbers on the street.

Comment

Everyone I know is dumping their Gen 5 Camaro's for the new one. Looks like the a lot of Butthurt on the ford sites already and the SS has just been out for a month or so. I cannot wait to see one perform.

Comment

Working...
            X