Clutch Turbo 400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Turbo 400

I dunno...I saw a guy use one back around '70. He had a B/SR (B Street Roadster) that ran 10s. It was a SBC and fun to watch.

I guess those trannys required quite a bit of maintenance. His roadster was probably light enough to get away with it. Probably with the advance technology of the torque converters, the need dwindled for the clutch turbo. Would be a fun ride though.

Interesting. Bet it's a real neck-snapper! Converter-less Powerglides used to be (and may still be) popular with some of the dirt-track oval guys. The dirt-track racers I used to know called it 'a poor man's Lenco'. Also, the trans ran way cooler without the converter thrashing the fluid around & heating it up. If I remember correctly, the much cooler operation allowed them to dump more power into the trans over the course of a race than what a normal Powerglide could handle without overheating.

Joel
    Last edited by Fast One; 12-03-2014, 07:05 PM.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. - Frank Zappa

Comment

Re: Why isn't a Clutch-Turbo 400 more common?
      04-12-04 07:20 AM - Post#426538
      In response to Roadsters

1) expense

2) use of a Long style pressure plate was mandatory (thin fingers to drive the pump spider)

2A) dialing in the P.P. finger travel length so as not to override the end of the pump spider

3) constant replacement of the teflon thrust washer in front of the pump spider tube.

4) the advent of Lenco/planetary transmissions.

Comment

Lenco's rob more power that 3 C6's in a row....lol

Comment

Working...
        X