Kids Biscayne has bad vibs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kids Biscayne has bad vibs

So after trying to get the 2X4 setup working right I figured out that the setup only works good with modified engine with a decent cam, it sure does not run good with a stock one and you cannot get it lean enough.

This leads me to my next problem, I put my old 350 that was in the race car/ street cars over the years in the my son's Biscayne in 2013. I went through it with new rings, bearings and cut the crank. I put a stocker type cam in it for him so it will run and get decent milage. Now after a year it started to vibrate at certain RPM and has gotten worse everytime I drive it. So far I pulled the converter back from the flex plate, pulled the fan, took off the pulleys and pulled the vibration dampner to see it that was it, but it still there. I thought it might be losing a cam but when that happens the lifters tick and there is no valve train noise. I am begining to think the crank is getting ready to snap as I had a 396 do this vary same thing back in the late 70's and once it happens the engine is junk. Funny thing is that this 350 has been in like 5 different cars, with the who's who of cyl. heads and carbs along with a ton on NOS. Now that it's apart I guess it coming out for a look. One would have thought It would have come apart on one of those 10 sec. passes, just lucky I guess.

It'll be interesting to see what that crank looks like when ya get it out. Might not be able to see anything though. If you magnaflux it, prolly be a few cracks. Could a weight have come off the flexplate?

Comment

Originally posted by Z28SSMAN View Post
      It'll be interesting to see what that crank looks like when ya get it out. Might not be able to see anything though. If you magnaflux it, prolly be a few cracks. Could a weight have come off the flexplate?
      I have read several people having this problem, some with fully balanced 350's. One guy had the flex plate on backwards, one was intake gaskets leaking (I thought that one was interesting) and another had a flexplate that was warped, once changed vibration went away. I find it hard to believe that only after getting the crank turned .010 on the mains and rods that this engine would do this. I have beat the snot out of the thing and it should have expired then. It does smoke out of the RH side of the car at times and the exhaust ports on that side of the engine had oil in them, when I pulled the intake to change it there was oil on the bottom of the ports so that may be the problem.

Comment

Guess the cold has put a stop to that project.

Comment

Working...
        X