2014 Minnesota car scene review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 Minnesota car scene review

What a weird year. Lost a number of longtime friends. Probably haven't put more than a couple hundud miles on the Camaro. Used to look forward to popping over to St Paul to see a little extracurricular. At least got to spectate at Power cruise for a few hours, Car Craft, Rock Falls a couple times and one car show benefit in Blaine. People apparently don't take their cars out much anymore?

Originally posted by Z28SSMAN View Post
    What a weird year. Lost a number of longtime friends. Probably haven't put more than a couple hundud miles on the Camaro. Used to look forward to popping over to St Paul to see a little extracurricular. At least got to spectate at Power cruise for a few hours, Car Craft, Rock Falls a couple times and one car show benefit in Blaine. People apparently don't take their cars out much anymore?
    You are right spot about the car scene, the weather the last couple of years, lack of interest and the demise of porky's has really killed it. Just need a new spot for everyone to call home on the weekends again and it would pick right back up. One thing that does seem to ruin it for everyone are the punk kids, that ack like idiots, throw all their garbage in the lots and do one wheel wonder burnouts everywhere the go. Put a stop to that crap and people will have a better car scene.

Comment

Yeah, Porky's demise has dramatically changed the local car scene.

The Porky's/Uni scene was something quite special. I didn't realize just how special until after it was gone. For many years, it was considered one of the top 5 must-do cruises in the US for car guys. I think it even made the top 3 a few times. That's right up there in hallowed ground with the likes of Woodward.

The owners actually wanted us to be there. Most of the surrounding businesses tolerated the noise & traffic, and the majority of private housing was far enough away that owners didn't complain too often. Being in the middle of the metro, it was a relatively short drive for the majority of local hot-rodders. And most importantly, the location was very conducive to cruising - given the long straightaway heading west, distance between lights, large number of spots to make a U-turn, proximity to Snelling & Hwy 280, and the abundance of nearby "overflow parking" right across from Porky's & in the Wendy's lot down the street.

That's a tough act to follow. I doubt that we will ever see anything like it again here in the cities.

Joel
      There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. - Frank Zappa

Comment

I think it could work again in the cities Joel but the owners would need to police it to keep out the riff-raff. I also think that if the cops are involved whe the street squirrels are out, then the po po should tag them and maybe tow some. I am not saying all the younger kids are bad but look at the places the ricers race at, it is the most unsafe street racing I have ever seen. When I used to street race a lot there were not too many idiots. Red Rock Rd. was a good example, we raced there for years and until the F&F crowd came in it was pretty well run.

What cities do not understand is the amount of money they lose by not letting us hang out. The food joints and other local places lose money also, just like not having a place to race, a ton of lost revenue. Politicians will always side with the namby pamby people to stay in office rather that see that somtimes there might be a good idea or two. I wonder how much MN loses in revenue to WI. and Iowa when it comes to this and how much we have spent elsewhere.

Back to the topic, build a place for us car guys and gals to hang out and we will show up.:harrel smile:

Comment

I finally got my car back together a few weeks ago. I really miss porkys but there are still places to go. I've been out the last 4 weekends racking up the miles and I even bettered my best track time.
          5.55@126
          8.67@155
          www.tntraceshop.com

Comment

Originally posted by shagwag View Post
            I finally got my car back together a few weeks ago. I really miss porkys but there are still places to go. I've been out the last 4 weekends racking up the miles and I even bettered my best track time.
            Congrats on the 8 second pass, and no bottles to fill, woo hoo!!

Comment

Originally posted by Fast Eddy View Post
              Congrats on the 8 second pass, and no bottles to fill, woo hoo!!
              Thanks Eddie! It felt so good!
              5.55@126
              8.67@155
              www.tntraceshop.com

Comment

Wow, 8's. Got any video? specs on the new combo?

Comment

Unfortunately I haven't found any videos of the pass yet. It's a 409 sbc with a billet 76mm turbo. Non-intercooled e85 with a Csu blow through carb. I went 8.81@155 leaving on only a couple pounds of boost.
                  5.55@126
                  8.67@155
                  www.tntraceshop.com

Comment

Originally posted by shagwag View Post
                    Unfortunately I haven't found any videos of the pass yet. It's a 409 sbc with a billet 76mm turbo. Non-intercooled e85 with a Csu blow through carb. I went 8.81@155 leaving on only a couple pounds of boost.
                    Nice.

Comment

Yup car stuff is at an all time low.

Comment

sucks here in quad citys too. but was out cruising with friend and he ran a gt500 and the 500 blew his motor. sounded bad like knock knock come on in
                        the victim had semen on his trousers

Comment

Working...
                        X