Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford Mustang Gets Busted For Fake Engine Sounds

Ha Ha,

As if things weren’t bad enough for the legendary Ford Mustang, the EcoBoost 2015 model sends engine sounds through the vehicle’s speakers!

It’s all due to the decline in the muscle cars muscle. Once the envy of car enthusiasts worldwide, often featured in films driven by Hollywood heroes, the muscle cars of yesteryear with their hood lifting V8 engines no longer come off the assembly lines due to new emission standards and other ecological adaptations and adjustments. It’s now a four cylinder, high performance world where cars have more speed due to being composed of lighter materials.

The problem here is that these four cylinder, ecologically friendly, high performance engines just don’t kick out that primal, jungle roar of their predecessors. It was that engine roar that made people turn their heads on the streets, caused deer to flee, cows to stampede and dogs to run under the porch for protection. In the good old days, when a muscle car came down the road you heard it before you saw it. Nowadays however that celebrated roar had to be fabricated and pumped in. This is achieved by something called by Ford as Active Noise Control. This system is designed to mask out unwanted noises but deliver the authentic noise that the classic versions of these cars are legend for.

Sounding a bit like doublespeak, chief engineer of the Ford Mustang line, Dave Perciak explained what Active Noise Control does. Perciak states that the system delivers the sound from the engine through the speakers after processing the sound by also amplifying “the existing engine sound order,”.

So far only the EcoBoost model of the Mustang has this system and the competition is waiting to see what happens next. If the public takes to the system then it’s a good bet it or something similar will appear in lots of models. It would be hilarious knowing the ingenuity of the public when customizers of muscle cars take the speakers and put them outside the cars to get that sound blasting toward the public, making that historic roaring noise of the classic muscle cars wafting over the landscape and scaring both man and animal alike.

Muscle car fans are picky. They don’t like pretense. They love the history, performance, looks and power of the greats but creating a sound system to amplify the engine’s sound might not cut it. Maybe it will but only time will tell.

http://www.capitalwired.com/ford-mus...nged-up/23030/

I always wanted to record dogs yelping and play it through a car's PA speaker. It would be weird if I got a ticket for that though.

Comment

Maybe they should use some kind of fart sound.

Comment

Ford is simply copying what companies such as BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, VW, and others have been doing for a number of years already - due to the combination of much quieter cabins & less muscular-sounding engines. Before active sound management systems became practical, some companies used passive sound tubes connected to the intake system that piped the intake snarl into the cabin. Ford has used sound tubes in the Mustang, Porsche has used them in the Cayman, and VW has used them in the GTI. However, active sound-management systems have replaced the passive systems.

I like the method used in the Corvette. A valve bypasses the mufflers when you floor it. An automatic cutout! The ol' cable-operated cutout from the 50s & 60s has come a long way!

Joel
        There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. - Frank Zappa

Comment

Cable? As a teen, I used to be the 'header man' for my brother and his 65 Chevelle SS 331sbc. I'd pick the races and then have to uncap the headers before his street races. We'd carry slicks, bleach and enough tools to get the job done. Last year, Bob used to crawl underneath and unplug his exhaust.

Comment

LOL! Yeah, I remember doing stuff like that as a kid. But a few guys I knew back then had cable-operated cutouts. They were illegal on the street, so they cleverly hid the cutout lever.

I find it interesting that Corvette can get by with automatically bypassing the mufflers @ WOT on a street car. Bet the 6.2 sounds glorious at full-song!

Speaking of the 'Vette......did you hear the latest on the 2015 Z06? The 8-speed auto does 0-60 in a jaw-dropping 2.95 sec, runs 10.95 @ 127 MPH in the quarter, and stops from 60 MPH in less than 100 feet! That puts the $80k Z06 on-par with the $103k Nissan GT-R, $180k Lamborghini Gallardo, $1.2M McLaren P1, and $1.5M Ferrari 599XX.

Not too shabby for a stovebolt, eh?

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news...errari-mclaren

Joel
            There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. - Frank Zappa

Comment

Yeah, that's impressive. The Ford guys will probably say: pushrod motors are old tech--GM needs to update to the 32 valve Ford design. 10.90s isn't that big of a deal because newer Mustang 302s run 11.40s "stock". The Vette only has two seats! (take a look at a Mustang's back seat leg room with front seats slid back-- no one can sit back there). Many Ford guys will never admit they shouldn't try to compare a Mustang with a Corvette. The Vette is superior in all areas.

Comment

Working...
              X