LSx swap discussions at Ford sites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LSx swap discussions at Ford sites

Looks like some Ford guys are pretty smart after all...

http://forums.corral.net/forums/mixe...y-ls-swap.html

Some quotes from Ford guys at the Corral thread: LS1 in LX Mustang but I...............

All jokes aside, I do love Fords. But I am also open minded... I only swapped to the LS1 because of the good power they make in stock form and the fuel mileage . If I could have built a 302-347 and got near the fuel mileage and power, I would most certainly have went that route.
    You know what? The LSx series is a more advanced pushrod motor than the 302. That's a given.
    While the LSX series of motors may be superior(and I believe they are), why would you want to put one in a mustang?
    I'll toss my opinion out, why not.

Mustangs and camaros are like cars and dogs or republicans and democrats.

Having said that, I'll easily admit the LS1 is an amazing engine. I have many friends who have them, and they run hard, and put down some damn nice numbers.
    Raceallday1: I have owned several LSx powered GM's, a Corvette, an a SS camaro. I have a question for you tell me where you can get a aluminum cylinder head tha actually flow 330cfm, an 230cfm for less than $450. When i had my SS i purchased i slp L92 heads an had them flowed. It cost me 456.50. So found a ford head that flows that much an LMK.

A LSx series is a lot more reliable than a 347. To build a 347 that makes 425-430 to the rear wheels. you'll prolly spend 5k-7k depending on the parts. My Camaro with a SLP cam, Fast 90mm manifold, SLP Lp2 heads, Complete SLP exhaust the car made 419rwhp/390 rwtq. Do that for only 3500.....

Now the LSx motor is also more economic on fuel. I got near 15mpg out of my modded SS in the city an nearly 24 on the interstate. try an do that with a 347.

For all that are wondering why i chose a 347 is because it has a similar displacement to the LSx series gm motor of 346.7......
    GM has spent well into the MILLIONS on R&D on the LSx motors, Joe Blow piecing together an SBF from stuff he's seeing in MM&FF is not going to get the same kind of results.
    http://forums.corral.net/forums/mixe...easy-pass.html
    Notch goes 10.0 on stock 98' 88k LS1 today on easy pass
    thats awesome LS motors are the way to go in a fox .. my LS project starts this winter cant wait

LSX engines make great power but I will never overlook a good SB Chevy on spray. I have gone 10 flat at over 130 with my old 358 pump gas engine with a buck fity shot. You are right about the heads being better than anything out the stock out of the box. There was a guy at Har Mar last night with a 98 cobra, what do you thing he had in it? an LS1 with a single turbo, say he runs in the high 9's, are you reading this Joe? you should be. Your next engine could run low 10's, idle stock and get 20 mpg. All this without any hiwreck tuning involved.

Comment

Yeah, it's pretty tough to beat the combination of efficiency, power, reliability, and cost/ease of upgrading the LSx motors. Regarding the SBC vs. the LSx - isn't the LSx design superior in most (if not all) respects - including efficiency, longevity, overall block & stock rotating assy strength, and specific output capability?

Joel
      There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. - Frank Zappa

Comment

How many enthusiasts put cobra motors in drag cars or street rods? Wonder why you don't see that?

Comment

Originally posted by MR.hp View Post
          LSX engines make great power but I will never overlook a good SB Chevy on spray. I have gone 10 flat at over 130 with my old 358 pump gas engine with a buck fity shot. You are right about the heads being better than anything out the stock out of the box. There was a guy at Har Mar last night with a 98 cobra, what do you thing he had in it? an LS1 with a single turbo, say he runs in the high 9's, are you reading this Joe? you should be. Your next engine could run low 10's, idle stock and get 20 mpg. All this without any hiwreck tuning involved.
          Yeah, there's no doubt about how impressive the sbc has been. My nephews who are big into Fords came by my brother's pole barn and saw his sbc on a stand. The looked at it and said " Uncle--is that all the big those engines are?" They were comparing it with the engine in the GT500 they pulled up in. Little did the realize how power-packed those engines are and if prepared properly would embarrass that GT500 pig.

Comment

Originally posted by Fast One View Post
            Yeah, it's pretty tough to beat the combination of efficiency, power, reliability, and cost/ease of upgrading the LSx motors. Regarding the SBC vs. the LSx - isn't the LSx design superior in most (if not all) respects - including efficiency, longevity, overall block & stock rotating assy strength, and specific output capability?

Joel
            If you are comparing stock parts the ls is far superior to the sbc. I know of several local cars putting over 700hp to the tires with stock ish ls motors. (Head studs and cams not gm). To reliably do that with a sbc it you are talking dart block, good heads ect.
            5.55@126
            8.67@155
            www.tntraceshop.com

Comment

ZMan and I watched a turbo LS1 WS6 effortlessly lay down 1,027hp on the dyno at CarCraft. There was also a younger guy from South Dakota I talked to with a '99 Camaro SS LS1 with an APS Twin Turbo Kit (GT35 turbos) who put down over 1,000hp (on the engine dyno) running only 7lbs of boost. I asked if they got any official numbers and he laughed saying once they hit 1,000 they were like what's the point of going any further. lol

Give me a 6.0L GTO with forged internals and a BFT and call it a day. Turn key and go. Those motors don't need crazy boost to put down retarded ass numbers. No cam sounding like it's gonna stall every 10 seconds no bottle refills no nothing. Good to see the 4-lug guys converting though. Need something to boost their confidence. :butt smile:

Comment

Yeah, technology has come a long way. I used to think 8 tracks were better than cassettes (couldn't let go) but never thought cassettes were better than CDs.

Comment

Shag,

Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought - given the numbers those engines can put down right from the factory. Just think - if somebody would have told us back in the day that Chevy was going to design a SBC replacement that could reliably put out more than 2 HP/cube with nothing more than an aftermarket a cam & heads, we would have laughed our asses off. Now we've got 'street' cars with Pro-Stock-level HP.

Typhoon,

I was also there when that WS6 made that insane pull at CC. I shot video of it, plus a few others. The WS6 was friggin' crazy. Sounded like a turbojet crossed with a piston engine. I had never been anywhere near that close to anything putting down anywhere near that much power on a dyno. I found myself wondering how far out into the crowd it would end up if it were to somehow break loose & launch itself.

Glenn,

8-track?? I hated mine! Ditched it shortly after cassette tape went from dictation quality to hi-fi. Then they gave us CDs, which don't sound anywhere near as good as good vinyl played on a decent turntable with a good cartridge. The industry knew that CDs wouldn't sound as good as vinyl. They chose the 16 bit/44.1 kHz PCM CD format because a double album would fit on the existing 650MB computer disks. But now we have DVD-A, SACD, and Blu-Ray Pure Audiodisks - which sound exactly like the original master recordings & support surround-sound audio. I started switching to SACD & DVD-A around a decade ago.

Joel
                  Last edited by Fast One; 07-22-2014, 05:04 PM.
                  There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. - Frank Zappa

Comment

Typhoon,

I was also there when that WS6 made that insane pull at CC. I shot video of it, plus a few others. The WS6 was friggin' crazy. Sounded like a turbojet crossed with a piston engine. I had never been anywhere near that close to anything putting down anywhere near that much power on a dyno. I found myself wondering how far out into the crowd it would end up if it were to somehow break loose & launch itself.

Joel
                    Too bad we didn't see ya there. Yeah that WS6 was really struggling up there. LOL Did you happen to see the GN that went before him and put down 1,075? That car would've been right up your alley.

Comment

I like vinyl too, mostly the scratchy sound you hear after 30 years of use. LOL
                      I have to add in the scratches in on my cds to get that sound.

Comment

Actually... vinyl is making a come back. I read where some turntables can cost from $2k and up. Where do you buy vinyl though? Electric Fetus? I hear Bob uses old CDs to fling at Mustanks

Comment

Originally posted by Typhoon View Post
                          Too bad we didn't see ya there. Yeah that WS6 was really struggling up there. LOL Did you happen to see the GN that went before him and put down 1,075? That car would've been right up your alley.
                          Are you taking about this year? I didn't make it this year. It was a few years ago when I saw the WS6 make the pull. Wonder if it was the same WS6. Yeah, 1075 HP is pretty damned impressive for a pushrod V6. Wish I would have seen that!

Joel

Comment

Originally posted by MR.hp View Post
                            I like vinyl too, mostly the scratchy sound you hear after 30 years of use. LOL
                            I have to add in the scratches in on my cds to get that sound.
                            LOL! Yeah - good vinyl played on a high-quality turntable with a great cartridge sounds better than CDs for awhile, but then the sound quality starts to fade.

Originally posted by Z28SSMAN View Post
                            Actually... vinyl is making a come back. I read where some turntables can cost from $2k and up. Where do you buy vinyl though? Electric Fetus? I hear Bob uses old CDs to fling at Mustanks
                            Yes it is. Primarily due to the sound quality. Some turntables go for over $10k, and I've seen cartridges that cost over $5k. But you can get audiophile-quality sound for a fraction of that. The general consensus is that you need to spend around $500 on a basic audiophile-grade turntable & around $100 on a good cartridge for top-notch sound quality.

You can get vinyl locally at the Electric Fetus & a few others, but many people buy online from audiophile shops such as Acoustic Sounds, Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab, and Music Direct. Amazon also sells a lot of vinyl. I buy most of my high-res SACD & DVD-A disks from Mobile Fidelity, Music Direct and Amazon.

Mustank? LOL! Just look at the rivalry that GM & Ford created. Over 5 decades later & it's still going strong.

Joel

Comment

Are you taking about this year? I didn't make it this year. It was a few years ago when I saw the WS6 make the pull. Wonder if it was the same WS6. Yeah, 1075 HP is pretty damned impressive for a pushrod V6. Wish I would have seen that!

Joel
                              Yes sir. I only got two videos. One of the GN and the other of the WS6. Would've liked to have hung out at the dyno longer but they were messing around quite a bit. Lots of waiting.

Comment

Working...
                              X