Big Daddy Garlits sets another record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Daddy Garlits sets another record

Could this be the future of drag racing?

Drag racing legend “Big Daddy” Don Garlits took the Swamp Rat 37 Quest EV Dragster for its maiden voyage on Wednesday at the Bradenton Motorsports Park in Florida, and wasted little time in making history, setting a new battery powered quarter-mile record with a 7.25 at 184 mile per hour run.

Click Here for Full Article

Yeah, he's always been an innovator. Always ahead of his time. One impressive guy.

Comment

Big is the man. Has done more for drag racing than anyone.

Comment

One of the legends for sure!
        ------------------------------------
        Let the hating begin!

Comment

I wonder how many Watts?......740 = 1HP

Comment

I've been sorta loosely following NEDRA for quite a few years now. E-drag racing has come a long way in the last decade. With max torque available at zero RPM, the launches are pretty crazy. I've always been a Big Daddy fan. Got to meet him a couple times at BIR. What a cool guy! I think he's done more to advance the art over the decades than anyone else in the sport. Here's a clip of his record-setting pass. The motors pulled around 3,600 amps @ 400V. That's 1.44 megawatts, or nearly 2,000 HP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea4igN8Thtg#t=30

Here's some info from the engineers on the setup:

This picture shows 3 Zilla 2K controllers that can deliver 6000 motor amps to the 6 motors that are under the controller stack. Each HTC Lipoly battery pack can release over 500 hp per pack. The fastest run was run with the controller set to full 2000 motor amps and was limiting at about 3600 amp from the batteries. I am still trying to get the actual voltage sag and peak currents from Derek at HTC systems. But...3600 amps at about 400 volts is a honest guess at the consumed power, that's 1.44 megawatts. Or just short of 2000 HP.

Joel
            There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. - Frank Zappa

Comment

Working...
            X