Wanted: XP Install Discs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted: XP Install Discs

Anyone have a set of old windows xp install discs, I am trying to repair a couple of old towers and having no luck without the discs as I have to boot discs to use.

I have some XP pro discs and I'm sure I can dig up some XP home editions as well.

Want me to host them so you can download them instead? I would hate to show up in person, I'm afraid you'd punch me! :)
    1966 Mustang Fastback 2+2
    2012 Ford Mustang GT convertible
    2013 Ford F-150 FX4 ECOBOOST
    1971 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454 Clone

and others. :)

Comment

Originally posted by DNeinstadt View Post
      I have some XP pro discs and I'm sure I can dig up some XP home editions as well.

Want me to host them so you can download them instead? I would hate to show up in person, I'm afraid you'd punch me! :)
      LOL, if I hit you I might land back in the hospital:rotfl:
      I actually do need the discs as the stuff I hve downloaded has not worked. I have one machine stuck in a loop NTLDR cent alt delete mode as it's compressed and I need the disc to pull it out of that mode to reformat the machine. I am glad I work on cars, but trying to work on computers is pretty interesting and a great learning exercise. Let me know Dan, I can pick them up, I am off on Fri. this week.

Comment

F8 and change the boot order .. then just reinstall off of a flash drive or a bootable disk.. or i have all the diskes

Comment

Originally posted by Toomanycars View Post
          F8 and change the boot order .. then just reinstall off of a flash drive or a bootable disk.. or i have all the diskes
          Tried that, after I change it the machine goes back into the restart mode.

Comment

If I remember correctly xp is only good for anther couple months and they are pulling the plug on it,cant remember where I read it though.

Comment

How about something like this?
              http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/foru...oop/?p=1848903

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpner View Post

I will try this, if it does not work my buddy Dan will send me some discs.

Comment

You can also try booting Ubuntu from a USB if your bios supports it (or make a Unbuntu CD). I'm not sure how well you could fix the file from there but I've heard it's been done. It also isn't as vulnerable to common viruses. If you're using a rewritable drive there is the remote possibility that the new XP disk can pick up the virus as well, then you're really fucked. lol

Comment

It's fixed, here is what I did without any use of an iso or a disc. I strated by taking the hard drive out the computer, then I hooked up to my other computer using a corded device I bought a few years ago to revover pictures and other stuff on a crashed hard drive. After looking at stuff I thought, if I could get into the C drive maybe I could reverse what I had done.

Here is what really happened, I went to properties on the old hard drive then I hit uncompress the drive and applied the attrbutes to it, after I was done I put the drive back in the old computer started it up but got the dredded CENT+ALT+DELETE crap again. So this time I hit F10 and tried a recovery one more time and IT WORKED. Everything on the machine is up and running and I will be using it for a backup computer. This sure didmake me thing about all of the other things you can do to fix a computer. Thanks to all for your offers for your help.

Comment

Congrats!!

If you ever need anything PC related, let me know, always happy to help out. :)
                      1966 Mustang Fastback 2+2
                      2012 Ford Mustang GT convertible
                      2013 Ford F-150 FX4 ECOBOOST
                      1971 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454 Clone

and others. :)

Comment

Cool. Glad you got it working.

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpner View Post
                          Cool. Glad you got it working.
                          Thanks Scorp and thank you for the offer Dan.

Comment

Why lookie there, an Old Dog can teach himself some new tricks. . . :lol:

:smile tease: T5

Comment

Originally posted by Titan5 View Post
                              Why lookie there, an Old Dog can teach himself some new tricks. . . :lol:

:smile tease: T5
                              He is a big ole grouchy dog that's for sure:lol:
                              Fixing computers sucks, I just get a new one.

Comment

Working...
                              X