Gears done in the 94Z

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gears done in the 94Z

After going to powercruise I noticed the rear axle started making a bunch of noise. Took it apart today and found that the pinion gear is cut about an 1/8" deep, so either it was setup wrong or the gears were soft. Never did a dump the clutch either. New gears are coming, I can see why Glenn got a Moser rear end for his SS.

Are they noisy or do they sing?

Comment

Originally posted by fast toys View Post
      Are they noisy or do they sing?
      Like a song bird, New parts on the way.

Comment

Got the rear axle all torn apart today and it turns out to be the one thing Glenn said it could be. The pinion gear from the front bearing had wear right by the crush sleeve and it made the pinion walk up and down changing the gear mesh. I did buy a raytek soilid spacer so this will no happen again. Car should be good to go later on Sat.

Comment

Glad you found the problem. I guess my OPINION about the PINION was a good guess. Only a guess though. That raytek solid spacer sounds like a much better set up. When carnutz set up the gears on my moser…he said the crush sleeves were notorious for deflecting on stick shift cars…which causes the settings to change. Aren't the solid spacers hard to monkey with though? I mean wouldnt you have to keep pulling the bearing off the pinion to change the shims to get the right setting? I guess you could hone out an old bearing so you wouldn't have to use a puller.

Comment

Originally posted by Z28SSMAN View Post
            Glad you found the problem. I guess my OPINION about the PINION was a good guess. Only a guess though. That raytek solid spacer sounds like a much better set up. When carnutz set up the gears on my moser…he said the crush sleeves were notorious for deflecting on stick shift cars…which causes the settings to change. Aren't the solid spacers hard to monkey with though? I mean wouldnt you have to keep pulling the bearing off the pinion to change the shims to get the right setting? I guess you could hone out an old bearing so you wouldn't have to use a puller.

Yup, you were right on this one. I got the new gears in today and are they quiet, now I can hear all the other noises I have in the car.
            Race car is next to get finished.

Comment

Drove the Z to work today, Could hear the radio loud and clear. Looks like a cruzing weekend to me.

Comment

Might want to look for Steve again so you can-- you know--compare notes.

Comment

Originally posted by Z28SSMAN View Post
                  Might want to look for Steve again so you can-- you know--compare notes.

Will need the cutout open to hit the rev limiter :rotfl:

Comment

Went down to HarMar then to the other lot later Fri. and what a nice drive, No noise and can cruise effort less again. Glenn your buddy Sloss was there with some guy in a white GT-R looking to race you. Of course it was "stock" as Sloss always says.

Comment

Sloss could be a stand up comedian

Comment

For some reason that makes me think of this

Comment

Huh?

Comment

I think Gerald and Sloss should got 15 rounds for the interent champion of the world. Winner gets to run turd island for a year.:lol:

Comment

Working...
                            X