Year limits at the weekly shows & cruises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Year limits at the weekly shows & cruises

I heard that they often get 100 cars at the Fri night shows in St. Francis. It's only 15 miles from my place. So I thought I'd bring the GN tonight. Then I found out about the 1980 cutoff. Sure, I can park it outside of the show area, but what the hell is the point?? Fuck! I am fed up with all of the damned age limits at the weekly cruises & shows around here. They all say that they impose a cutoff to keep the ricer crowd out. It just doesn't make sense. Carry that logic forward a few years & it eventually becomes laughable. What happens when 70s & older American cars become so rare & expensive that people rarely drive them anymore? (That has already happened to many of the 60s hotrods.) What happens when 4th gen SS Camaros, WS6 Firebirds, 1st & 2nd gen Vipers, etc., are old enough to wear collector plates? What happens when musclecars made in the early 2000s are considered to be vintage collector cars? Will the local events still use a stupid age cutoff to "keep the ricers out"?

Seems to me that it would be much more logical to adopt a zero-tolerance rule & kick out any participants who cause trouble and/or jeopardize safety, rather than exclude two or three decades of hotrods from the shows & cruises simply because a few import enthusiasts behave much like some of us did when we were teenagers.

Joel
    Last edited by Fast One; 07-05-2013, 04:13 PM.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. - Frank Zappa

I can see their reason for the '80 and older rule. Look at the ricekiller meets, now people leaving there are doing burnouts and ripping ass out of there when they leave. Only a matter of time before the po po starts tagging people and shut it down. Kid today have the need to burn their tires to show how has they think the car is. All they do is ruin it for everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by MR.hp View Post
      I can see their reason for the '80 and older rule. Look at the ricekiller meets, now people leaving there are doing burnouts and ripping ass out of there when they leave. Only a matter of time before the po po starts tagging people and shut it down. Kid today have the need to burn their tires to show how has they think the car is. All they do is ruin it for everyone else.
      Did you burn rubber to show off when you were young? I bet you did. Did you also piss off the older generation of hotrodders when you did it at inopportune times? I'm betting that you did. I know that I did.

As I said - if you carry the age limit mentality forward a few years, it makes no sense at all. It's fucking stupid to exclude 3 fucking decades of hotrods from the shows just because some kids drive imports, and a few of them drive like they're idiots. There are plenty of idiot drivers behind the wheel of Camaros, Chevelles, Firebirds, Goats, and Mustangs, too. Anyone who hung out at Porky's for more than a few minutes on a summer weekend certainly knows that's a fact.

Why not solve the root of the problem instead of putting a band-aid on it? The problem has absolutely nothing to do with cars made after a certain year. Rather, the problem has everything do to with stupid drivers. So, kick 'em out of the shows if they break the rules & don't let 'em come back again. If they have the authority to turn everyone away who drives anything newer than a certain year, they should certainly have the balls to kick out the few idiots who actually cause the problems, rather than taking the easy way out & excluding 3 fucking decades of hotrods.

Joel
      There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. - Frank Zappa

Comment

Yeah, there are rules for different clubs and car shows for reasons we may never know.

I heard about the restrictions at Anoka and have never set foot over there.

In my opinion--there are cool cars from different decades worth seeing and appreciating.

I dunno--after '72, most cars really suffered performance and appearance wise. Most of 'em barely had 200 crank hp. To admit cars from that era and omit cars such as a GN or later models that would run circles around some of those sleds is kinda silly.

But, it's a free country and they have a right to make their rules. On the other hand--you have a right to disagree and also not attend.

The following is a fictional story because we all know street racing is illegal:

A year or so after I bought my 2000 SS, while my wife and I were cruising, a couple guys in a '67 Camaro with carbs sticking outa the hood, rode along side me and gave me that "we're superior look". I followed them and came to a stop light. I had noticed he had basic suspension and maybe 2 1/2" exhaust with probably restrictive mufflers. His engine sounded like it may have had no more than 400 crank hp. A car with a bunch of girls were beside them raving about how cool the car was. As the light turned green, I made it along side of them and again--they had that "you don't have a chance" look. He brought his car up into his "sweet spot" and fired it up. I proceeded to put bus lengths on them. Afterwards, I respectfully gave them the thumbs up because I really like 1st gen F bodies, but the mentality of some people with those cars is uncalled for. Of course, I'm an equal opportunity basher.

Comment

Originally posted by Fast One View Post
          Did you burn rubber to show off when you were young? I bet you did. Did you also piss off the older generation of hotrodders when you did it at inopportune times? I'm betting that you did. I know that I did.

As I said - if you carry the age limit mentality forward a few years, it makes no sense at all. It's fucking stupid to exclude 3 fucking decades of hotrods from the shows just because some kids drive imports, and a few of them drive like they're idiots. There are plenty of idiot drivers behind the wheel of Camaros, Chevelles, Firebirds, Goats, and Mustangs, too. Anyone who hung out at Porky's for more than a few minutes on a summer weekend certainly knows that's a fact.

Why not solve the root of the problem instead of putting a band-aid on it? The problem has absolutely nothing to do with cars made after a certain year. Rather, the problem has everything do to with stupid drivers. So, kick 'em out of the shows if they break the rules & don't let 'em come back again. If they have the authority to turn everyone away who drives anything newer than a certain year, they should certainly have the balls to kick out the few idiots who actually cause the problems, rather than taking the easy way out & excluding 3 fucking decades of hotrods.

Joel

Well Joel, I am sorry to inform you that the only time I ever did a burnout leaving a busy place was way back in 1979 as the Sun drive in, Why you say? because I watch a lot of my freinds get tickets for the kind of stupid stuff and besides brake stands never impressed me much anyway. I have watched as the stupid crowd invaded Porky's and twards the end, every weekend was like Car Craft, do a burnout. How fucking lame can one get.

If any of these punks with their so called fast cars ever got their shit together and go to the track they might find out the fact that their shit box trucks and little ricer cars as slow as piss.

Next week I will be at BIR for power cruise maybe some of shit talkers around town might show up, but then again the handbook for racers 101 reasons I can't go race will come out.

Come to power cruise next weekend Joel you will have a good time. Beat going to a car show for sure.

Comment

Shit talkers, I plan to be there,LOL
            Now if I can just get the boost turned down, for some reason 25+ psi is scary.

Comment

Bob,

If you only did one burnout as young motorhead, I think you're definitely in the minority. The way I remember it, most of the car-guys I grew up with went through 'the rubber-burning phase' at some point. I was never impressed with brake-stand burnouts either. After all, damn near any anemic grocery-getter with RWD could do a brake-stand burnout. But I did my share of runs out on the county road where we marked out a 1/4-mile with white paint, and I also found the top-end of pretty much every car I owned back then - plus a couple of dad's cars. Many of my friends also drove pretty crazy back then, but most of us grew out of it.

My point is that the kids who do that stuff today will eventually turn into us. I think it would be much more logical for the shows that impose age limits solely to keep the 'fast & furious crowd' away to kick out those who do stupid stuff - rather than turning 30 years of hotrods away at the gate.

Regarding Power Cruise - the GN's not ready. I still need to get the exhaust work done, and I also need to have an upper A-arm bushing replaced. I'm still on the job-hunt, so that won't be happening anytime soon.

Fast Eddy,

I've found that 20-22 PSI is scary enough for me!

Joel

Comment

Originally posted by Fast Eddy View Post
                Shit talkers, I plan to be there,LOL
                Now if I can just get the boost turned down, for some reason 25+ psi is scary.
                You were not inc. in that statement Eddy. Besides you have a car that is fast, takes it to the street and could drive it to powercruise if you would like to. That to me is a TRUE street car.

Comment

Originally posted by Fast One View Post
                  Bob,

If you only did one burnout as young motorhead, I think you're definitely in the minority. The way I remember it, most of the car-guys I grew up with went through 'the rubber-burning phase at some point. I was never impressed with brake-stand burnouts either. After all, damn near any anemic grocery-getter with RWD could do a brake-stand burnout. But I did my share of runs out on the county road where we marked out a 1/4-mile with white paint, and I also found the top-end of pretty much every car I owned back then - plus a couple of dad's cars. Many of my friends also drove pretty crazy back then, but most of us grew out of it.

My point is that the kids who do that stuff today will eventually turn into us. I think it would be much more logical for the shows that impose age limits solely to keep the 'fast & furious crowd' away to kick out those who do stupid stuff - rather than turning 30 years of hotrods away at the gate.

Regarding Power Cruise - the GN's not ready. I still need to get the exhaust work done, and I also need to have an upper A-arm bushing replaced. I'm still on the job-hunt, so that won't be happening anytime soon.

Fast Eddy,

I've found that 20-22 PSI is scary enough for me!

Joel

Ya Joel, I was not driving until I was 21. I had 9 tickets when I was 16, all for driving a minibike without a license and other things. So as I watched the others do some really dumb stuff with their cars at the local spots it dawned on me that you don't shit where you eat and keep a low profile. When I got my license reinstated I used to street race all the time but for us we would set up the race, go race and then leave the race spot right away, no wonder we never got cought.

I watched 2 times in my life with some big local car shows, 1st. was when a high school friend got over 200 cars back in 75 to show up for a local car show that turned into a burnout street racing nightmare that the cops busted up and we lost our local spot for a long time. More people doing stupid crap.

2nd was back in the late 70's when Car Craft had their cruizin USA segment in the mag and they decided to come to Mpls. to talk about the cars and what not here. We were waiting to find out where they were going to be and the nice idiots from MSMA (local car club) said that Car Craft was going to be at the Village North mall in BP. So we all went there and within an hour the place was paced with cars. 1 hour after that there were cops with billy clubs walking through the lot and I asked one what was going on, his reply " get in you car and get the fuck out of here" we left at that point. A bunch of us got into the old family truckster and drove back to see what was going on and it turned into a riot with people getting hurt, dogs biting people and the cops using water cannons blowing guys off the roofs of the local stores. I have always had hated Car Craft and MSMA after that one. We did lose that spot after that and a buddy of mine did a huge burnout there one night 2 years later and he went to jail, they impounded his car and he got a whole bunch of awards too.

Renmember the Anoka cruising in the 80's Joel? the little asshole kids ruind that too. To top it off one night when I was sitting with some of the rodder crowd a bunch of these little punks wanted the MSRA to go to bat for them and get the anti-crusing law over turned because if you went up and down mains street more than 3 times you got a ticket. You only have to use your imagination to figure out wat was said to them. I got a laugh out of watching them go at it that night.

It sucks you cannot come up to BIR this weekend but you could always take your GP as they let anyone drive in and go out to have a good time if your car is safe. Hope you can find a job soon.

Comment

Working...
                  X