No announcement yet.

Nephew bought a 2009 Shelby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nonetheless - it seems pretty odd that in 2001, Ford still wasn't getting any more power out of their highly-touted 4.6L OHC V8 than Buick was getting out of their naturally-aspirated 3.8L pushrod V6 grocery-getter engine.
    Totally agree!

Comment

Reviving an old thread...the showdown against my nephew is approaching and I plan to be ready.

Here's a GT500 owner about the '09s and their weak rods...

4.16" stroke, so these are inherently not rev-happy motors. Facts: GT500 piston speed @ 6200 rpm-71.6 FPS. LS3 piston speed @6200 rpm-62.3 FPS. That's almost double at that rpm.

You can't rev these motors like a small block chevy.

I shift @6000.

Comment

Here's my cocky nephew who barged in on my facebook page as I responded to a life long friend about my age on my birthday..

Friend: Howard Palmer Are You Sure You're 59?

Me: Howard yeah, but it's all "smoke and mirrors". Greg, I just sit back and reminisce about those street races we had back in the day. Clues to try and slow down the aging process? 1:Never forget to give credit to the Lord for everything. 2:Don't drive a Ford. 3:Work hard but play hard.

Nephew:I believe the fastest car in the Russell family is a ford...guess it will age you quicker
        November 9, 2014 at 9:46pm ยท Like

Me: Do you have proof that your Ford is faster? Or are you listening to your brother or dad? Surely its not the latter. I'm not aware of a Ford either has built, put on a race track and won anything in competition as I have. They're good at 'talking' about how great Fords are though. Lets face the truth...neither has ever had a Ford product that can match the performance of any GM I've owned. In current form, your Ford cannot match the performance of my GM. Plus your driving skills are no match for mine. You can buy horsepower, but you can't buy experience and skill, rookie. wink emoticon Keep living in Ford fantasyland like pops and bro.
        November 9, 2014 at 11:33pm

Nephew: Lol I'll compare my time slips to yours

Nephew: I'm sure my first run in the slow 500 was faster than your best run in your SS

Nephew: Sorry Uncle I forgot to say either SS...smile it's all about having fun unless you have the slower car

Me: Rookie mistake #1:You obviously have no idea what my car runs. Rookie mistake #2: Time slips and dyno slips don't get you to the finish line first.

Nephew: I think time slips tell you which one is faster

Nephew: I'll be the rookie because you have years of experience but I'm definitely not worried about your car. I raced a bike for years and launching a car is alot easier.

Me: Hmmm...I've raced for years and have never seen racers stop at the end of a race and compare time slips. If you aren't aware that the car that crosses the finish line first is the winner regardless of the time slip, you need to take up a different hobby. You still have no idea what my car runs. That's pretty arrogant, dont you think? Either way, keep living in your Ford fantasy world.

Nephew: Lol I have no desire to race you because I'll be your biggest fan but if you want some of the stang I'll give you more than you can handle. Pics with a tire coming up are cute but we can take one of you chasing me if that's what you want.

Me: Hey Var, why don't you post up what my car runs? I'll print out our conversation for future reference. 1/8 and 1/4 mile ET and mph please. Might as well give us my 60ft times too. I'm waiting. smile emoticon

Nephew: I don't know what your car runs just like you don't know what my car runs but I'm definitely not worried about your car. Like I said Uncle I'm your biggest fan but I know what mine will do so I'm not worried.

Me: Based on what I've read and heard, you obviously DO want to race me. That's ok. All I can say is dont get "BOINT"

Nephew: Lol I could care less about racing you but I do enjoy our fb chats. I'm a Russell so you should know I'm gonna talk but with saying that I can back it up.

Me: Actually...I've heard you SAY what your car has run. While I never underestimate my opponent, like I said before, in current form, you and your Ford cannot match me and my GM package in head to head competition. If you still want to time slip or dyno race, go right ahead.

Nephew: Uncle I'm not worried about your SS. I guess you want me to show you and trust me I will. After i beat you maybe you'll change your mind about these mustangs and remember you brought this on yourself.

Me: No, actually, you brought this on yourself. Do you think I haven't raced Mustangs here in Minnesota? Do you really think your Mustang has more power, performance and track time than the ones here? Oh well...you enjoy your car, but you're making a big mistake trying to challenge old unc.

Nephew: I'm sure you've raced plenty of mustangs and everything else but we're not talking about them... I'll show you the difference.

Me: smile emoticon

Nephew: I've enjoyed this Uncle and like I've said if you're lined up against a Ford, Dodge are anything else I'm your biggest fan.

Me: And you're a fantastic nephew. A little cocky and over confident, but still a neat nephew. smile emoticon

Comment

Glenn why not just load up my 11.0 red Camaro and bust his balls with that.
          I still remember when Joe said how he had 430rwhp and just raced an SS and it couldn't keep up, I was in your car, Joe was 8 cars behind you. Tell your nephew when he gets tired of going slow with that cobra he can always put in the new "SVT performance package" consisting of a turbo along with a 5.3 junkyard LS1 engine, that's the only was a cobra will ever be quick and fast at the same time. From what I read over on the bullet it's the hottest thing going, it's so hot companies are even making motor mounts for this swap.

Comment

Yeah, using your car for my fight would prove to him that his car is faster than mine. They'd laugh me out of there and I'd never hear the end of it.

I plan to make a few adjustments and when I get the car to perform like I want it, I will head down there. I would have gone before winter, but the clutch I installed wasn't working the way I wanted it. I definitely wasn't gonna head down there with it not engaging right. I still have to make a couple changes on that and hopefully by April I'll be able to race him.

I hear he's making a lot of power and I think that's a good thing. I realize there may not be much room for error, but I like my chances. The tracks there are 1/8th mi. I really don't think he has the skill, especially under pressure racing against me with everybody watching to get the job done.

I might be wrong but I'm not backing down.

Comment

Funny exchange, Glenn! Got a chuckle out of that.

Making lots of power without the experience and/or skill required to hook it up is rarely a recipe for success at the strip.

Joel
              There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. - Frank Zappa

Comment

I plan to post the video here and on fb where he shot his mouth off along with all the cocky things he said. All I can say at this point is that I'm no dummy. I have a plan and plan to work it to perfection. I won't bring a knife to a gun fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Z28SSMAN View Post
                  Yeah, using your car for my fight would prove to him that his car is faster than mine. They'd laugh me out of there and I'd never hear the end of it.

I plan to make a few adjustments and when I get the car to perform like I want it, I will head down there. I would have gone before winter, but the clutch I installed wasn't working the way I wanted it. I definitely wasn't gonna head down there with it not engaging right. I still have to make a couple changes on that and hopefully by April I'll be able to race him.

I hear he's making a lot of power and I think that's a good thing. I realize there may not be much room for error, but I like my chances. The tracks there are 1/8th mi. I really don't think he has the skill, especially under pressure racing against me with everybody watching to get the job done.

I might be wrong but I'm not backing down.
                  From what I remember cobras are pigs in the 1/8 mile, easy win.

Comment

Originally posted by MR.hp View Post
                    Glenn why not just load up my 11.0 red Camaro and bust his balls with that.
                    I still remember when Joe said how he had 430rwhp and just raced an SS and it couldn't keep up, I was in your car, Joe was 8 cars behind you. Tell your nephew when he gets tired of going slow with that cobra he can always put in the new "SVT performance package" consisting of a turbo along with a 5.3 junkyard LS1 engine, that's the only was a cobra will ever be quick and fast at the same time. From what I read over on the bullet it's the hottest thing going, it's so hot companies are even making motor mounts for this swap.
                    Glenn's nephew's car is not a Cobra.

Originally posted by MR.hp View Post
                    From what I remember cobras are pigs in the 1/8 mile, easy win.

That's all I have to contribute to this thread. ;)
                    1966 Mustang Fastback 2+2
                    2012 Ford Mustang GT convertible
                    2013 Ford F-150 FX4 ECOBOOST
                    1971 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454 Clone

and others. :)

Comment

Well thanks for your corrections Mr. Dan.

Now onto the info about 2009 GT 500 internals.

The Termies were tough and their Manley H-beam rods have a great reputation and Ford used H-beams in the Ford GT (Mahle) as well, so when Ford went with the forged cracked-powder I think many wrongly assumed that Ford 'cut corners' to save expense. I think, instead, they chose that tech because they are very strong under compressive loads though not likely as strong as the Manleys and Mahles in tensile strength. I suspect Ford did that because the higher piston speeds and more excessive rod angles of the 5.4 make limiting revs to 6250 prudent to begin with, whereas the 4.6 geometry has equivalent piston speeds at about 6800 rpm. So the forged cracked-powder I-beams are a good match for a blown motor not seeing much over 6000 rpm where compresive loads are the primary concern and are likely just as strong as the H-beams, possibly stronger, on compressive loads.

Comment

What's the difference?

Comment

Cobras have the 4.6 with as you say 'pop can' size pistons. My Nephew's GT500 Shelby (Shelby makes them go faster didn't you know) has the 5.4 like Joe's. Oops! maybe Joe's is a 4.6 too.

Comment

Shelby doesn't make Cobra's, that was SVT.

SVT has a part in the Shelby GT500's.

It's confusing but the snake doesn't mean "Cobra".

I honestly don't know why Ford/Shelby/SVT did what they did. Who ever heard of a horse snake anyways?

I LOL'd at this on Facebook today:

Also posted for relevance:

and
                            1966 Mustang Fastback 2+2
                            2012 Ford Mustang GT convertible
                            2013 Ford F-150 FX4 ECOBOOST
                            1971 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454 Clone

and others. :)

Comment

:laughing smile:

Comment

Originally posted by DNeinstadt View Post
                                Shelby doesn't make Cobra's, that was SVT.

SVT has a part in the Shelby GT500's.

It's confusing but the snake doesn't mean "Cobra".

I honestly don't know why Ford/Shelby/SVT did what they did. Who ever heard of a horse snake anyways?

I LOL'd at this on Facebook today:

Also posted for relevance:

and
                                LOL Dan :rotfl:

Comment

Working...
                                X