A Scientific Look at Products to Loosen Nuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Scientific Look at Products to Loosen Nuts

A scientific look at products to loosen nuts.
    I thought you guys might find this interesting.

Penetrating Oils Machinist's Workshop Mag recently published some information on various penetrating oils. The magazine reports they tested penetrates for break out torque on rusted nuts.

They are below, as forwarded by an ex-student and professional machinist. They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrates with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.

*Penetrating oils ........... Average torque load to loosen*

No Oil used ................... 516 pounds
    WD-40 ..................... ... 238 pounds
    PB Blaster .................... 214 pounds
    Liquid Wrench ...............127 pounds
    Kano Kroil .................... 106 pounds
    ATF* - Acetone mix............53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix is a " mix-your-own-brew" -- 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone. Note this "home brew" released bolts better than any commercial product in this one particular test.

Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now use it with equally good results. Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is almost as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price.

Steve from Godwin-Singer says that ATF-Acetone mix is best, but you can also use ATF and lacquer thinner in a 50-50 mix.
    *ATF = Automatic Transmission Fluid
    ------------------------------------
    Let the hating begin!

Wow. That's good info.
    Wonder how they came up with that formula?

Comment

Loosen nuts,ohhhh this could go in the wrong direction fast. LOL That is pretty good info !!!!

Comment

That's interesting, I will have to give it a try at work sometime.

Comment

It's not all that surprising. ATF has some interesting properties. An old mechanic told me about the ATF/acetone mix back when I was a high-school kid, cobbling old junkyard shit together. It worked pretty well on old exhaust manifold & suspension bolts. I've also used it as an oil additive to free-up sticky lifters.

Joel
          There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. - Frank Zappa

Comment

Working...
          X