How Times Have Changed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Times Have Changed!

Back when I was in the Army ( 1972-1975} I was stationed in Washington,DC.In 1975 there was this Ford Thunderbolt,black in color and gorgeous,4 speed,and fast as hell. He raced it at MIR (Budds Creek} Maryland. I looked this car over many times. And loved it. No junk. So one day it had a For Sale sign on it. He wanted $3800.00 for it. I didn't have that kind of money My Dad did,but he said no. Damn Scandinavians.But what a car!Today the car would be $250,000-$350,000. The point being,how the hell do the kids today afford the price of older cars today. This is why I don't bad mouth ricers. My 2 sons will get my cars. They cant wait,but they will have to. And my daughter is pissed.
    Drag Racing,just you,me,and the tree!!

Originally posted by Eric N. View Post
    Back when I was in the Army ( 1972-1975} I was stationed in Washington,DC.In 1975 there was this Ford Thunderbolt,black in color and gorgeous,4 speed,and fast as hell. He raced it at MIR (Budds Creek} Maryland. I looked this car over many times. And loved it. No junk. So one day it had a For Sale sign on it. He wanted $3800.00 for it. I didn't have that kind of money My Dad did,but he said no. Damn Scandinavians.But what a car!Today the car would be $250,000-$350,000. The point being,how the hell do the kids today afford the price of older cars today. This is why I don't bad mouth ricers. My 2 sons will get my cars. They cant wait,but they will have to. And my daughter is pissed.
    Get her an Iphone, that should make her happy. T-bolts were cool cars.

Comment

All 100 of them,and most were automatics. For some reason,they though they could beat the HEMIs.In your dreams.
      Drag Racing,just you,me,and the tree!!

Comment

Wow. Thunderbolts are insanely fast cars. In Nov. '63, one of 'em ran 11.61 sec @ 124.8 MPH in the quarter. On today's slicks, an authentic Thunderbolt can run low 9s.

I don't get down on the kids today, either - for the same reasons. Their smallblock Nova/Fairlane/Dart with a Holley, high-rise, lumpy cam, air-shocks, fat tires, headers, and a set of glasspacks is an I4-powered FWD compact with a power-adder, custom-programmed ECU, big injectors, oversize throttle-body, big intake & exhaust, lowering kit, and a set of fat low-pro 17s. Truth is, many of their cars are a lot quicker than ours were back in the day - and they typically handle a lot better, too.

Remember all of the outrageous, jacked-up cars from the 60s & 70s? Seemed like everyone was trying to make their ride look like a Funny Car or Pro Stocker. What kids are doing to their cars today is similar to what many of us did to ours back then. The difference is that we are now the old farts.

Joel
        There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. - Frank Zappa

Comment

Originally posted by Fast One View Post
          Wow. Thunderbolts are insanely fast cars. In Nov. '63, one of 'em ran 11.61 sec @ 124.8 MPH in the quarter. On today's slicks, an authentic Thunderbolt can run low 9s.
          Joel
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Fairlane_Thunderbolt

cant believe everything you see on wikipedia. in 76 a local guy ran one at northstar and ran low 12's at 120. i like the video but takes more than stock tbolt to run 9's like the one in video.
          the victim had semen on his trousers

Comment

Originally posted by Quadroflux View Post
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Fairlane_Thunderbolt

cant believe everything you see on wikipedia. in 76 a local guy ran one at northstar and ran low 12's at 120. i like the video but takes more than stock tbolt to run 9's like the one in video.
            I don't. However, I have no proof either way. Nevertheless, the 11.61 run was done back in '63. Impressive, even today.

Joel
            There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. - Frank Zappa

Comment

Working...
            X