2013 GT500 coming with variable RPM launch control from factory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DNeinstadt View Post
    Oh I think Glenn knows I'm just harassing him. We've met and I hope he knows it's all in good fun.

I'd love to go to the track sometime as I haven't been in like 5 years or so. Knowing me, I'd probably get all nervous about having to beat Glenn for argument's sake and he'd blow my doors off or worse I'd blow up the IRS in my car trying to launch hard enough to beat him!!

Man, then I'd NEVER hear the end of it. :)
    Dan
    Racing Glenn has never been a bad thing. I have only raced him once at the track and it was a blast, but be on your "A" game as he will slap a holeshot on you if you snooze at the light. Glenn's car is nothing specatular by todays standard but for the combo he used it flat out flys. I know that cars with superchargers, blowers and NOS make great power but Glenn has pounded some of these guys into the ground. Will he talk shit?, Yup, So don't be surprised that on this site Glenn says how he feels.

I will always stand up for Glenn as he has always helped me out and is a good freind. Did I say I beat him racing? I guess not.:rotfl:

The whole '03 cobra thing back in the day would have been different had I been there in the car, why?, I never would have let the idiot driver that night who takes off on 1 or 2 call it a win, but the fact remains the same that the 2 people I am talking about back then talked a ton of shit and never, I mean never take their cars to the track. I know for a fact that my old school BBC whould have put a hurt on that dude and we would have laughed all night as back then I could run 130 mph at the track, But we will never know.

So let's go forward and have a race this year and what happened happend and cannot be changed.

Comment

Now I'm really feeling mushy, can I have a hug? :)

Dan
      1966 Mustang Fastback 2+2
      2012 Ford Mustang GT convertible
      2013 Ford F-150 FX4 ECOBOOST
      1971 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454 Clone

and others. :)

Comment

I hate to say it but i like the gt500. even zman should relize a new car runnin hi 11 and 120 is not bad at all. still think the tcstang guy is a ass.
        the victim had semen on his trousers

Comment

I'd love to know how you think I'm an ass when I've been nothing but respectful, unlike you sir.
          1966 Mustang Fastback 2+2
          2012 Ford Mustang GT convertible
          2013 Ford F-150 FX4 ECOBOOST
          1971 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454 Clone

and others. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Quadroflux View Post
            I hate to say it but i like the gt500. even zman should relize a new car runnin hi 11 and 120 is not bad at all. still think the tcstang guy is a ass.
            Hey quadro, you bop in from time to time and sometimes add some silly stuff to the site but Dan is cool and certainly no

Comment

Originally posted by MR.hp View Post
              Humm.................My old Camaro runs 123 mph N/A but it also had a 10.82 along with it. Seems Joe's car was the same with his cobra. I think he was running some low 12's at like 121 back in '04 as I remember.

Well they gotta start some place, might as well be the high 11's
              First time to the track ever for me and the car. 13.30's at 114mph. at 425hp. Switch to et streets bias ply and went 12.30. After mods 530hp best of 11.53 at 120mph. Being a rookie with a stick my times were all over the place.Lot's of 12's and lots of high 11's. Bad tunes held me back alot thanks to hiwreck. This super snake should be better than that for sure but really it needs a drag suspension or the times won't drop.

Comment

Originally posted by Quadroflux View Post
                Ok, I'll agree it's kinda silly for me not acknowledge that a new car trapping 120 and running high 11's is not impressive. I remember if you had a hi 11 second car back in the early to mid 70s, you had one of the quicker cars around. Many trailered drag cars were 11 and 12 second cars and the big dogs were in the 10s. Now, guys like shagwag drive their cars on the street and have been in the 9s.

There have been people in this town who have constantly tried to be the big dog and spent tons of $$$ trying to stay on top. I've laughed at these clowns and decided to keep my car pretty much the same. Most of them no longer have their cars or have disappeared from the scene altogether just as I knew they would. They failed to realize one thing that I've known all along ...no matter how quick you are, there's always gonna be someone quicker.

In my opinion, it's all relative. If you have 500-600 rwhp and run mid 11's? sorry...I'm not impressed. If you take out your A/C and strip the car to get into the 11's, I'm not impressed..sorry if I'm the bad guy for feeling that way. If you're a bench racer that TALKS about what your car SHOULD run? You're a bozo.

We're seeing technology at its best. Fun to see what Ford has done with the GT500 and 5.0 GT and GM with the ZL1, Z06, ZR1.

This is impressive: Turn the key, drive cross country, get 20 mpg with the A/C blowing cold, pull into a track and run in the low 12's or any 11's, without slicks and without turning a wrench.

Comment

Originally posted by 98 cobra s/c View Post
                  First time to the track ever for me and the car. 13.30's at 114mph. at 425hp. Switch to et streets bias ply and went 12.30. After mods 530hp best of 11.53 at 120mph. Being a rookie with a stick my times were all over the place.Lot's of 12's and lots of high 11's. Bad tunes held me back alot thanks to hiwreck. This super snake should be better than that for sure but really it needs a drag suspension or the times won't drop.
                  I hope you get a good track time out of your Cobra this season, Joe. You sure deserve it from all the grief you've gone through for the past few years. Also hope it stays together so you don't have to go through that mess again.

Comment

Originally posted by Z28SSMAN View Post
                    Ok, I'll agree it's kinda silly for me not acknowledge that a new car trapping 120 and running high 11's is not impressive. I remember if you had a hi 11 second car back in the early to mid 70s, you had one of the quicker cars around. Many trailered drag cars were 11 and 12 second cars and the big dogs were in the 10s. Now, guys like shagwag drive their cars on the street and have been in the 9s.

There have been people in this town who have constantly tried to be the big dog and spent tons of $$$ trying to stay on top. I've laughed at these clowns and decided to keep my car pretty much the same. Most of them no longer have their cars or have disappeared from the scene altogether just as I knew they would. They failed to realize one thing that I've known all along ...no matter how quick you are, there's always gonna be someone quicker.

In my opinion, it's all relative. If you have 500-600 rwhp and run mid 11's? sorry...I'm not impressed. If you take out your A/C and strip the car to get into the 11's, I'm not impressed..sorry if I'm the bad guy for feeling that way. If you're a bench racer that TALKS about what your car SHOULD run? You're a bozo.

We're seeing technology at its best. Fun to see what Ford has done with the GT500 and 5.0 GT and GM with the ZL1, Z06, ZR1.

This is impressive: Turn the key, drive cross country, get 20 mpg with the A/C blowing cold, pull into a track and run in the low 12's or any 11's, without slicks and without turning a wrench.
                    You liar, I saw a wrench on that car this month. You did put the battery back in it.:lol:

Comment

Originally posted by DNeinstadt View Post
                      I'd love to know how you think I'm an ass when I've been nothing but respectful, unlike you sir.

You have excuse old quadro, He suffers from an idenity crisis since he sole his cobra.

What you really need to do is get rid of dirtbag shawny over there on tcs. I hear that bag of crap is now giving chad shit for his engine expiring but 10F900 has not had his car running in years. What a douche bag, We at TCO can set up a some kind of show and tell about how not to spin bearings on LT1's:rotfl:

fast toys schooled dirtbag here and he went away not being able to handle the teasing. dirty is just a big:rotfl:

Comment

Looks like motor trend pulled a couple tents out of it.
                        http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...and_specs.html
                        90 5.0 GT New combo
                        11.84 @ 113 1.64 60' Dynoed 428hp 419tq Dyno Vid Dyno sheet

Comment

Originally posted by MR.hp View Post
                          You have excuse old quadro, He suffers from an idenity crisis since he sole his cobra.

What you really need to do is get rid of dirtbag shawny over there on tcs. I hear that bag of crap is now giving chad shit for his engine expiring but 10F900 has not had his car running in years. What a douche bag, We at TCO can set up a some kind of show and tell about how not to spin bearings on LT1's:rotfl:

fast toys schooled dirtbag here and he went away not being able to handle the teasing. dirty is just a big:rotfl:

Damn right, I took care of that guy!

Comment

Originally posted by fastkeen View Post
                            Looks like motor trend pulled a couple tents out of it.
                            http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...and_specs.html
                            Uhh...do these people think us racers are stupid? Motor Trend bests Evan Smith's time by 2 tenths? Maybe Evan should go to Motor Trend school to learn or should I say "LERN" how to get a good ET.

When you watch the video, The car bogged horribly and took a long time to get through the gears. That was no 11.60 run.--it was with a lap top in the car? Let's all lap top race and not go to the track. http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...uKtVSEC9AzWLzq

C'mon Motor Trend...go to a sanctioned track with timers and when you get the 11.60 run, I'll be the first to congratulate the Ford enthusiasts. Wonder how much Ford paid this clown to give us this garbage. Plus he is a shit driver.

Comment

Insideline got a 12.2 out of it, only a 12.6 with the TC on which is really disappointing. I thought the TC was going to be much more effective.

http://www.insideline.com/ford/shelb...full-test.html

Comment

I just read this on Yahoo

The 2013 Ford Shelby GT500 arrives late this year fresh from its third major makeover in the last four years, Ford's master chief in its battle for pony car dominance. Thanks to an influx of beefier hardware and clever software, the Shelby GT500's performance amazes in every dimension -- almost too much so.
                                There's no more fitting tribute in the wake of Carroll Shelby's passing last week than to note when Ford engineers vowed that the 2013 version of the street-rocket Mustang bearing his name would hit 200 mph, Shelby accused them of "bulls**ting" him. They told the truth.

The changes wrought on the 2013 Shelby aren't just the monstrous increase in horsepower from 550 hp to 662 hp with 631 ft-lbs of torque, making the 'Stang capable of a 0-60 mph time of just 3.7 seconds. The braking system scrubs excess speed with larger, 6-piston Brembo calipers. To shed weight gained from the bored-out 5.8-liter supercharged V8 engine, Ford installed a carbon-fiber driveshaft and a plastic fuel tank. The engineers worked tirelessly on multiple cooling systems and with Bilstein on an optional performance package, bringing the suspension and handling in line with the hefty increase in power.

The front end sports a more aggressive design and a grille-free opening that contains endless fairings and flaps, increasing front down force by 66% -- crucial in getting the car over 200 mph without reviving the Mustang as an airborne object. The rear end has the new for 2013 taillights and a not-so-subtle quad exhaust producing the bellow of a waking giant.

With my car fitted with the optional "Track Pack" that increases cooling even further -- and bumps the sticker price to $65,120 from the $54,200 base number -- I took to the Road Atlanta racetrack. I braced for a punishing ride that would make me earn my lap time, and instead found a companion as calm and eager to reward as a day-care teacher. There was no understeer to speak of, and the rear was planted on power down. The gear ratios from the beefed-up Tremec six-speed manual were so long that the car tricks you into thinking you're going slower than you actual velocity. The car will do 60 mph in just 1st gear, and I was still in 3rd at 140 mph. It felt, dare I say it, tame.

And I didn't want it to.

I wanted to manhandle the car, holding my breath every turn, praying I would emerge from the other side without bending metal or myself. I worried that in their drive to wrangle this herd of wild horses, the Ford engineers had actually done their jobs too well.

The same was true when I hit the country roads. The 242 additional horsepower in the GT500 over the upgraded Mustang GT barely made its presence known -- in part because the GT500 only makes its maximum when the car "over revs" from its normal redline of 6,250 rpm to 7,000 rpm in eight-second bursts, and the tall gear ratios prevent the chiropractic snap you'd expect when nailing the gas pedal. As a cruiser, it projects all the coolness a Shelby should, but I wasn't there to prance about. I brought spare boxer shorts and I expected to need them.

The next day brought us to the drag strip, and there the spirit of Carroll Shelby emerged. The long gear ratios suddenly made sense, perfectly matched for the task of producing an 11.7-second quarter mile time, just a bit faster than the GT500's archenemy, the Chevrolet Camaro ZL1. Credit Ford's launch control system, perhaps the best on any production car today, that lets drivers pick an engine start limit by 100 revs at a time to match the conditions on the track. It was far smarter than I was, and no matter how hard I tried with the traction control turned off, I couldn't beat the system.

Carroll Shelby was famous for saying, "Whatever the competition comes up with, we're going to kick the hell out of them." In a drag race or lapping around the Nurburgring, the 2013 Shelby GT500 probably will. It's a car that Ford claim can do everything -- and back it up. It's a great car to cruise down the highway or over country roads. It can drag race with the best and can lap a racetrack like a car half its size. It's fantastic -- and yet I feel a little let down.

The Shelbys of decades past were many things, but like Carroll Shelby himself, "refined" wasn't one of their selling points. All the best of his muscle cars carried a madness that makes them magical. If you want to go blisteringly fast in a straight line and reign as the king of the stoplights, then buy this Shelby. But if you want your pony to provide a rush of adrenaline, the more unpredictable, wild Mustang GT will let you live at the limits for less money. With the GT500, you can leave your spare boxers at home.

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...044439333.html

Comment

Working...
                                X