No announcement yet.

2013 GT500 coming with variable RPM launch control from factory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The point is that Evan Smith is the guy the manufacturers use to get the quickest times. If he can't run better than 11.80 with this car, then it deserves to be criticized. If magazine testers got 11.80 out of it, than I would have given Ford some slack because anybody knows that Evan Smith or professional driver could shave 2-3 tenths off. Ford has hyped this car up for about a year now. I felt they were making a mistake by doing so. You are dead wrong about if it ran 10's whether it would still be bashed. As a car guy, I would have been the first one here giving it credit.

You Ford guys just don't get it. Ford can build all the hype up and if people aren't impressed, then we GM guys have a problem. 11.80s from this called super car is pathetic in my opinion. Way over rated.

Comment

Originally posted by HOTCIVIC View Post
      Ford engineers are testing the '13 GT500 today along with Evan Smith

Engineers ran a best of 12.06 @ 121

Evan Smith ran a best of 11.8 @ 121 after 20+ runs. They let the car cool down and then he ran 11.8 @ 123.

The track is in Commerce, GA. Not sure what the DA is there right now but they are saying it's pretty warm.

Humm.................My old Camaro runs 123 mph N/A but it also had a 10.82 along with it. Seems Joe's car was the same with his cobra. I think he was running some low 12's at like 121 back in '04 as I remember.

Well they gotta start some place, might as well be the high 11's

Comment

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...van-smith.html

Apparently he just went 11.52@127 with a cool down and no launch control.
        All on stock tires. If those times are true, I'd say pretty impressive.

Also "Road and Track has the 2012 Corvette ZR1 at an 11.5 @ 129mph, and the ZR1 has a 465 LB weight advantage with 4" of more tire hitting the pavement. So if the 11.5 @ 127mph is accurate, then this new '13 GT500 = not too shabby."
        Dan
        1966 Mustang Fastback 2+2
        2012 Ford Mustang GT convertible
        2013 Ford F-150 FX4 ECOBOOST
        1971 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454 Clone

and others. :)

Comment

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...-121mph-2.html

"I agree and have permission to blab. 11.52@127"

Comment

More quotes:

easy mid 11 second car at 125-126mph

On your typical street encounter this car will leave the ZL1 by freight train lengths once it starts going.
            With those trap speeds, the almighty zl1 won't stand a chance on the street (where most of these encounters will occur)."
            Carry on!

Comment

Huh weird - different story here:

I was following the guy that was at the media event (he posted here earlier) but nobody asked him any questions. He was getting info straight from the SVT engineers and watching Evan Smith run. The best time Evan Smith (pro driver) got was 11.81?? A few hours after that he said they were packing up and leaving because there was a track event that night at road Atlanta?? So where did this 11.5 run come from?? Not saying it will not happen, but where did it come from and what is the proof??
              response:

It was a poster on SVTP that has worked with (not for) SVT since the days of the Ford GT. He has been spoon feeding all of us for a while about the performance. I finally asked him what he has personally seen at SVT testing and that there is no need for secrets anymore. He agreed and posted the 11.52 @ 127 time. He also posed a powershifted time that got squirrly of 11.71 @ 129.

This time was not at the press event but during SVT R & D for the new car. Nothing official but he has been saying mid 11's @ 125+ for quite some time.
              So the truth is that Evan Smith's best time was 11.8 @ 123, with 20 or so more runs that were 11.8 or worse with 121 or less trap speeds.

The 11.5 and 11.7 time was at a totally different SVT event. Wouldn't surprise me if they threw a pulley and DRs on there to showoff a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by DNeinstadt View Post
                More quotes:

easy mid 11 second car at 125-126mph

On your typical street encounter this car will leave the ZL1 by freight train lengths once it starts going.
                With those trap speeds, the almighty zl1 won't stand a chance on the street (where most of these encounters will occur)."
                Carry on!
                Carry on!
                Most likely written by some teenager who will never own or drive one.

If it was so easy to run mid 11s and trap 125, why couldn't Evan Smith do it?

Nice add though. Way to stir that pot Mr. TCStangs!

Comment

Not stirring the pot, just trying to defend what I read yesterday. I wasn't there though so all of this is 2nd hand bench racing.

None of it compares to Z28SSMAN's 9 year old "completely stock" Camaro that runs 11's. :)

stir stir stir.

You guys are going to miss me someday!

Dan

Comment

Also, they did say that Evan's time was heat soaked after multiple runs, with launch control ON, and street tires. I'd bet with LC off, a proper cool down and slicks & skinnies, they'd pull low 11's for sure.

:)

Comment

None of it compares to Z28SSMAN's 9 year old "completely stock" Camaro that runs 11's. :)
                      I don't remember seeing him ever state his 11 sec Camaro was stock unless the context was sprinkled with sarcasm in response to some of the TCSers who have claimed their modified cars were stock.

Comment

Also, they did say that Evan's time was heat soaked after multiple runs, with launch control ON, and street tires. I'd bet with LC off, a proper cool down and slicks & skinnies, they'd pull low 11's for sure.

:)
                        Well they said they had about 20 runs and most were low 12s and 11.9s, then they let the car cool off and he ran the 11.8.

I'm not saying the GT500 isn't fast, I just thought with all the trash talk and this new high-tech launch control, we'd see mid to low 11s stock.

I mean, the GT500 should be more than a tenth quicker and 1 mph faster than the ZL1 in the quarter - since it weighs 500 pounds less and has 80 horsepower more.

But you are right - I'm sure we will be seeing modified GT500s in the low 11s soon.

Comment

Hmmm...didn't you just post a link bragging about the technology on Fords new traction control? Now the excuses ring out about launch control on? What a joke! Cool down? I thought we discussed this before about S/C cars not being able to hot lap like my LS1 and you said it was no problem? Maybe Ford should use your type of "automatic" cool down equipment? lol

This is pretty funny to see the excuses coming out of the Ford camp.

Not stirring the pot, just trying to defend what I read yesterday. I wasn't there though so all of this is 2nd hand bench racing.

stir stir stir.

You guys are going to miss me someday!
                          Uhhh...my car is a 2000. Math would indicate that it's a 12 year old car. Stock? Nope...never said it was. It's been proven in front of a number of people that it has 360 rwhp. There are very few people who can make a 3700 lb raceweight 6-speed car with 360 rwhp run 11.80s without slicks.

The facts are what they are...Evan Smith the "God" of 1/4 mile ETs ran 11.80s with this over-rated and expensive Ford, and that's not bench racing...all FACT.

We'll not miss you Dan because you're not going anywhere. You like to stir the pot here and because you can't get this type of irritation anywhere else, you're gonna keep coming back for more. So..you're stuck with us pal. lol

Comment

I wasn't bragging about the launch control, I merely posted it for discussion's sake.

Sorry, I forgot yours was a 2000, for some reason I thought it was an '02.

You can hot lap SC cars all day long but they will be heat soaked. Which is why cooldowns are usually done between laps. Most guys don't want the quantity of timeslips, they want the quality. :)

I might go on a vacation for a while here, you would miss me and the "TCS sucks" smiley might not get used as much...

Dan

Comment

I wasn't bragging about the launch control, I merely posted it for discussion's sake.

Sorry, I forgot yours was a 2000, for some reason I thought it was an '02.

You can hot lap SC cars all day long but they will be heat soaked. Which is why cooldowns are usually done between laps. Most guys don't want the quantity of timeslips, they want the quality. :)

I might go on a vacation for a while here, you would miss me and the "TCS sucks" smiley might not get used as much...

Dan
                              Don't be too tough on these guys Dan. They were a little tough on me when I came here but after hanging out with them a couple of times I found out they are some hard core racers. After what happened years ago with this place and tcs you are not going to change any minds.

Why don't you and Glenn race at the track sometime. I don't have my Cobra anymore but that still does not stop me from coming here from time to time.

Comment

Oh I think Glenn knows I'm just harassing him. We've met and I hope he knows it's all in good fun.

I'd love to go to the track sometime as I haven't been in like 5 years or so. Knowing me, I'd probably get all nervous about having to beat Glenn for argument's sake and he'd blow my doors off or worse I'd blow up the IRS in my car trying to launch hard enough to beat him!!

Man, then I'd NEVER hear the end of it. :)
                                Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X