New track opening at Paducah KY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New track opening at Paducah KY

Great news for the guys from my old home area.

http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/news/local...2C_renderstart

This is the first track I ever went to as a kid. Great memories watching Buddy Ingersoll and a host of local racers. My brother used to sneak away from his wife and take the SS-454 to race there. Also previously raced his '65 Malibu SS.

His farm is only about 20 miles away. Good for him.

We sit here in Minneapolis/St Paul and have to drive at least 100 miles to a 1/4 mile track. Pretty sad.

This state just does not see any kind of positive outlook on drag racing or nascar. Maybe if some street racers end up dead, then they might consider it. That is very sad.

Comment

That is cool! How much air traffic goes threw there? Would be interesting to see what he's going to spend on getting it running and insurance.
      90 5.0 GT New combo
      11.84 @ 113 1.64 60' Dynoed 428hp 419tq Dyno Vid Dyno sheet

Comment

Not sure of the traffic. Probably just a few medvac helicopters for Lourdes hospital nearby.

One of the guys putting up the $$$ is top fuel racer Keith Murt and the other is a doctor. I found out that it's only 1/8th mile. I don't know if they'll expand it to 1/4. When we hung out there, it was a 1/4 mile but cars weren't as fast back then. Probably the fastest didn't trap more than 125 mph. At least it will give the kids an alternative to street racing.

Comment

MN. is such a namby pamby state. We can build a stadium for rich people who only play 10 games a year hear but to get some of the kids off the street and give tham a plave to race, Not in my backyard everyone says. I will not support any place for teams to play untill they make a place for me to race.

Comment

Yeah, there are many like you who feel that way about the Vikings getting a stadium and can't argue with you feeling that way.

I personally think the stadium benefits the state as much if not more than the Vikings. It's not like the stadium is being totally paid for by the city or state. Downtown thrives when the sports teams have events. That money doesn't go into my pocket, but I'm happy for the businesses trying to provide a nice downtown that Minnesotans can be proud of and also providing jobs.

They had no problem building a center for the Timberwolves and now are going to spend $$ renovating it, Gophers got TCF stadium, Wild gets one, the Twins have a stadium that even New Yorkers say is world class and the Twins suck. None of the teams except maybe the Twins are as deserving as the Vikes. We lost the Lakers to LA, the Northstars to Texas and then had to pay a ton more to bring those pro franchises back.

I don't have a choice when my property tax dollars go to my school district and I don't have kids in school. I pay other taxes for people who have decided to stay home and not work while I've (thankfully) had to get up for work each and every day for the past 37 years, so I have no problem spending a few bucks toward a stadium to attract other businesses and visitors who bring millions in to Minnesota.

Still sucks not to have a track. But lets be realistic...there's no comparison to the millions of dollars brought into Minnesota from Vikings vs a racetrack that many people are unlikely to support. Hell, I remember when Northstar was open and I tried to urge friends to come out race or even spectate but they had "other things to do" so it closed from lack of support. I was out there nearly every weekend. They also felt that driving to Northstar was a hassle so they frickin street raced! Pretty sad.

Comment

Working...
            X