North Korean leader Kim Jong Il, 69, has died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Korean leader Kim Jong Il, 69, has died

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — Kim Jong Il, North Korea's mercurial and enigmatic leader whose iron rule and nuclear ambitions dominated world security fears for more than a decade, has died. He was 69.

Kim's death 17 years after he inherited power from his father was announced Monday by the state television from the North Korean capital, Pyongyang. The country's "Dear Leader" — reputed to have had a taste for cigars, cognac and gourmet cuisine — was believed to have had diabetes and heart disease.

North Korea has been grooming Kim's third son to take over power from his father in the impoverished nation that celebrates the ruling family with an intense cult of personality.

South Korea put its military on "high alert" and President Lee Myung-bak convened a national security council meeting after the news of Kim's death.

In a "special broadcast" Monday, state media said Kim died of a heart ailment on a train due to a "great mental and physical strain" on Saturday during a "high intensity field inspection."

Kim is believed to have suffered a stroke in 2008 but he had appeared relatively vigorous in photos and video from recent trips to China and Russia and in numerous trips around the country carefully documented by state media.

Kim Jong Il inherited power after his father, revered North Korean founder Kim Il Sung, died in 1994. He had been groomed for 20 years to lead the communist nation founded by his guerrilla fighter-turned-politician father and built according to the principle of "juche," or self-reliance.

In September 2010, Kim Jong Il unveiled his third son, the twenty-something Kim Jong Un, as his successor, putting him in high-ranking posts.

Lets' hope his kid is not as bug a nutbag as he was.

Have you seen any pictures of his kid? I hope he is smarter than he looks.
    Drag Racing,just you,me,and the tree!!

Comment

Idiots breed more Idiots

Comment

The guy looks like a korean oompa loompa. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by kelly andersen View Post
          The guy looks like a korean oompa loompa. LOL

:laughing smile::laughing smile::laughing smile:

The Willy Wanka army

Comment

See ya umpa lumpa

Comment

Another confused and obviouosly senile man sends condolences about a brutal dictator...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/...s-kim-jong-un/

Comment

Carter is now the 2nd worst President ever. Guess who,or what is number 1.
                Drag Racing,just you,me,and the tree!!

Comment

Yeah, it's pretty easy to figure that out, but TCO has decided not to have political threads, so we won't go there.

The reason why this thread started was probably due to thinking it had nothing political to do with our country. Of course world events from other countries DO affect our country, and that's why I posted the Carter link.

The reason we don't do political threads is due to the lack of civility used in them. Most people use emotions rather than fact in their discussions. When facts are presented by one person, the other person that doesn't have facts to rebut will use personal attacks to try and one-up the other. I see that today between the two political parties.

Another reason, it turns into a pissing contest and feelings are hurt so I decided not to allow them. I had originally thought that people would use mature fact and logic, but after seeing some earlier threads that went sour, I felt it would be in our best interest not to do the political thing.

It's too bad, because in my opinion, if most people that follow political issues would use logic and fact before casting their ballot, we would be in a different position today. If people would actually do research from neutral sources and double check the facts before making political comments or voting decisions, they would see right through the propaganda we get from the 3 major networks. It doesn't begin there though--many teachers and college professors implant their political views into students before they enter into the political scene, which can distort their open-mindedness, thus not allowing them to form their own opinion towards candidates.

Comment

By making this statement you are opening the can of worms.

Comment

Well, not if it turns into a political discussion about any political party.
                      I base my statements on fact and logic. If anyone disagrees with my facts, then they are welcome to use facts-not emotions as a rebuttal.

Comment

each side has their own facts and calls the other side wrong. this discussion can only end bad, Just like a ford, chev, dodge discussion. To each our own and may it all work out. merry x-mas glen you are alright.I still think of you as a friend even tho we have had our disagreements. HO,HO,Ho

Comment

He is no longer Kim Jong Il, his Kim Jong Dead

Comment

Yeah, and I consider you a friend Joe and would give you the shirt off of my back if you needed it...you old coot

Comment

Working...
                            X