Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KARE 11 is here now.

Comment

Looking to dust off the car early this year and head out there late Saturday and fight the traffic. Spent a lot of friday and saturday nights there as a kid crusing uni in the back of the car!

Comment

Originally posted by bbcmalibu View Post
        Looking to dust off the car early this year and head out there late Saturday and fight the traffic. Spent a lot of friday and saturday nights there as a kid crusing uni in the back of the car!
        You can only enter and exit on the one side now, The sidewalk is all fenced off so you may have to park further away and walk in on Sat. night. Should be packed. Bring your video camara and take some video to show the grandkids someday.

I still predict that a new Porky's will come to be in the future.

Comment

Read this>

A rush to save Porky's from demolition
          History buffs and classic-car enthusiasts want to preserve the iconic drive-in, which is set to be sold.

By PAUL WALSH, Star Tribune

Last update: April 1, 2011 - 8:39 PM
          Historic preservationists and hot-rod enthusiasts are scrambling to save Porky's from "a rash decision" to have the red-and-white checkered building reduced to rubble.

The iconic 1950s drive-in restaurant will close permanently Sunday, then be sold to the neighboring Episcopal Homes senior facility.

The Preservation Alliance of Minnesota, best-known for its annual "Endangered Places" list, said Friday that it is trying to determine whether the restaurant can be preserved at its location on University Avenue in St. Paul or moved to the State Fairgrounds or elsewhere.

Adding to the sense of urgency is the Minnesota Historical Society saying it has learned that Porky's is seeking a demolition permit from the city.

If granted, Porky's would be free "to remove all structures (building, canopy, signs, etc.) from the property," according to an e-mail to the future owner from Mary Ann Heidemann, a government and programs compliance manager with the Historical Society.

Erin Hanafin Berg, an alliance field representative, said her group has been trying to reach the current and future owners to brainstorm options.

"We hope that it's not too late to back off destruction plans," Berg said. "We hope that there is a win-win-win solution ... before a rash decision is made."

Porky's owners, Tryg Truelson and his mother, Nora, were unavailable for comment Friday about their plans for the building other than finalizing the sale.

The nonprofit alliance said that the St. Paul Heritage Preservation Commission and the Minnesota Street Rod Association also are behind exploring ways to save Porky's, which opened in 1953 and has been the Twin Cities' signature curbside dining destination since.

Porky's owners said that construction of the Central Corridor light rail outside its door is making it increasingly difficult to successfully continue operating the business, leading them to initiate negotiations to sell the half-acre tract to Episcopal Homes.

While there are no firm plans yet for the future of the property, Episcopal Homes CEO and President Marvin Plakut said its intentions for the land will be consistent with its role of serving seniors.

"We are not in the business of operating a fast-food restaurant," Plakut said Friday.

He said there is a "kind of complicated" historic preservation process that might force the building to remain upright at its current location, and "if that process required us to keep the building in some fashion, that's a possibility."

At the same time, Plakut said, he doubts that the Porky's building would hold the same historic significance without it being in operation.

"The building, I think all of us would admit, is pretty much a shack," he said. "It's the whole experience. If nobody wants to run Porky's ... then you do lose the entire character."

Plakut said the sales broker could not find a fast-food franchise to buy Porky's, and its owners met months ago with city officials about moving the building "and nothing came of that."

Officials with the State Fair say they know little more "than speculation" about the prospect of Porky's moving to the Great Minnesota Get-Together.

"Whether or not it's likely or possible ... we'd need more information about what's being proposed to form an opinion about feasibility," said fair spokeswoman Brienna Schuette.

"Embrace, rather than erase Porky's" is a motto from the Minnesota Street Rod Association posted on the Preservation Alliance of Minnesota's Web page dedicated to the restaurant. St. Paulites are encouraged on the page to "act now" and write City Council members in support of keeping Porky's standing.

A statement released by the St. Paul Heritage Preservation Commission, an advisory panel to the City Council and mayor's office, says that "once this historic resource is torn down it can't be replaced. This is happening so quickly that there hasn't been enough time for adequate consideration of any alternatives."

The alliance also said Friday that Porky's had made this year's "10 Most Endangered Historic Places." The full list is scheduled to be announced May 12, when the sites now nominated are trimmed from 23.

Berg said her group went ahead and revealed Porky's place among the 10 early because of the restaurant's imminent sale.

Comment

Would be great if it could work out somehow.

Couldn't make it down there tonight, but I'll be there tomorrow with the GN.

Joel
            There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. - Frank Zappa

Comment

Yeah Joel, I agree with Tradbuilt. You made some excellent points.

Comment

http://www.startribune.com/local/stpaul/119073724.html

interesting comments

Comment

Guys,

Thanks for the kind words. I am passionate about this hobby of ours. I may be a 'GM guy' & joke about other marques from time-to-time; but when it comes to hot-rods, the brand, model, or country of origin matters not. If it's quick, fast, rare, unique, well-preserved, or nicely-restored - it's cool.

Heading out to dust off the GN, fire it up & cruise into town.

Joel
                  There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. - Frank Zappa

Comment

Originally posted by Z28SSMAN View Post
                    The closing of Porkys will sadden many of the auto enthusiasts (including myself). On the other hand, the owner will be finally rid of it. For awhile, I noticed hired employees driving customers away. One night near closing time, a couple of middle aged ladies pulled in to order food. No sooner than they returned to their car to eat, they were told they had to leave. I'm not aware of any business owner who would encourage employees to treat a paying customer in this manner unless they wanted to be rid of their business. The St Paul Police must also be relieved. Now they can devote their time to apprehending drug dealers and those who commit violent crimes rather than monitoring people who sit at or around Porkys on a warm summer night enjoying the classic cars. The police will have quite an adjustment to make though. I'm sure they realize it's easier to use their authority over a "car guy" who is no threat, rather than a drug dealer or violent criminal. And, lastly the retirement home residents will now not have to hear the occasional tire squeal, laughter and people talking about cars. I doubt any of them realize that the young generation of auto enthusiasts who WANT to be a part of the Porkys scene rather than thuggery and gangs will now have one less option.

Comment

Originally posted by Z28SSMAN View Post
                      The closing of Porkys will sadden many of the auto enthusiasts (including myself). On the other hand, the owner will be finally rid of it. For awhile, I noticed hired employees driving customers away. One night near closing time, a couple of middle aged ladies pulled in to order food. No sooner than they returned to their car to eat, they were told they had to leave. I'm not aware of any business owner who would encourage employees to treat a paying customer in this manner unless they wanted to be rid of their business. The St Paul Police must also be relieved. Now they can devote their time to apprehending drug dealers and those who commit violent crimes rather than monitoring people who sit at or around Porkys on a warm summer night enjoying the classic cars. The police will have quite an adjustment to make though. I'm sure they realize it's easier to use their authority over a "car guy" who is no threat, rather than a drug dealer or violent criminal. And, lastly the retirement home residents will now not have to hear the occasional tire squeal, laughter and people talking about cars. I doubt any of them realize that the young generation of auto enthusiasts who WANT to be a part of the Porkys scene rather than thuggery and gangs will now have one less option.
                      It would be nice if people would start putting a foot on the throats of the thugs doing thuggish things whenever it's encountered, instead of encouraging it. Both older and younger car guys need to start letting the minority of trouble-makers know that they need to tone it down when things start getting a bit "out of hand". If stupid, cop attracting behavior is not accepted by the majority maybe some of the look at me kind of stuff wouldn't seem cool to them. Standing by and letting it happen, and especially laughing about it, just encourages that kind of behavior. It seems like discretion doesn't exist anymore. Make idiots LOOK like idiots and they'll learn real quick that it isn't the kind of attention that is acceptable to most other people.
                      Life is too short to waste time and energy on hate.

Comment

A loud & smokey finale - the last Sat night at Porky's goes out in style

Went to Porky's tonight. There were tons of people out. Plenty of hot-rods, too. Food line was huge. Care 11 & Fox were there. People lined both sides of Uni for nearly a block. The burnouts started, and pretty soon, nearly everyone was doing burnouts. There were 'burnout boxes' with water. ice, and even antifreeze. Traffic was backed up from Fairview to Prior - if not further. The smoke was thicker than it is during the burnout contest @ Car Craft. At times, you couldn't even see across the street. Up & down the block, there were cars & pickups doing burnouts in both lanes. A Caddy limo and some family cars even gave it a try. Hell - the Fox truck even did a little brake-stand on the way out - to the delight of the crowd. He didn't have quite enough snort to break 'em loose, though. The street in front of Porky's looked like the burnout-box at BIR during the Nationals. The rubber was thick, the asphalt was smoking, and chunks of smoldering rubber could be seen up & down the street. I shot nearly 90 minutes of just burnout video, and they were still going strong when I left at ~10 PM

Seemed like the cops were staying away for the most part. I saw only two cop cars drive by, and they just kept going. The crowd's booing could be heard above the cackle & roar of the hot-rods.

A fitting end for a familiar old friend. One of the top five cruises in the USA has come to an end at last. The sounds of 10,000 horsepower, slowly fading into the past.

Here's to remembering the cruises, the stoplight shootouts, the cars, and the camaraderie we have enjoyed over the years.

Farewell Porky's. You will be missed!

Joel

Comment

Saturday Night April 2nd 2011 @ Porkys St. Paul, MN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWoPT...eature=related

:smile tease:dance T5

Comment

just like the dumb punk ass kids have been doing for the last year. "Do a burnout" there were a lot of tools there. I am sure the home behind there is glad that it is closing.

Comment

i heard it was crazy there last night. glad i wasnt there. i think truelson is a liar
                              the victim had semen on his trousers

Comment

Porky's tribute continues into Sun evening

Was still going on well after the food ran out this evening. Fox & Care 11 each aired a piece on the news tonight. Care 11 mentioned that after Porky's closed their door for the last time, the cops blocked off the street & let the burnouts continue.

I am in the process of uploading a 1-hr video I shot last night. Should be live sometime tomorrow. I'll post a link.

Joel

Comment

Working...
                                X