Porrky's to close

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tradbuilt View Post
    If you mean "where are THOSE guys going to go cruising this year?"..... does anybody but them really care?
    I don't give a crap about those people, I meant to say is, Where are "we" going to cruise and hang out this year.

Comment

Originally posted by MR.hp View Post
      I don't give a crap about those people, I meant to say is, Where are "we" going to cruise and hang out this year.
      I'll let you know where we'll be! You and Z28 should come and talk cars!
      Life is too short to waste time and energy on hate.

Comment

Sounds good to me! I can talk about 6 cylinder 235's until the sun rises. Lol

Comment

I hear Sunday it's closing for good, Any truth to this?

Comment

Its official, Porkys is done.
            Drag Racing,just you,me,and the tree!!

Comment

Originally posted by Eric N. View Post
              Its official, Porkys is done.
              Sad Yes indeed, Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Looks like sunday is it folks

Comment

I thought it was considered a historic landmark?

Comment

Me to,but no,the owners kids didnt want that.They wanted to be able SELL the place. At Least that's the story from an insider as told to me.
                    Drag Racing,just you,me,and the tree!!

Comment

Farewell Porky's - R.I.P.

Fellow curmudgeons,

For the record - the closing is not related to the car-crowd. Episcopal Homes had their eye on the Porky's property. With the LR going in, Nora & family decided it was time to sell.

http://finance-commerce.com/2011/03/...-to-seek-sale/

You guys can trash-talk Porky's all you want. However, I, for one, will miss the place. Car-friendly hangouts are getting rarer & rarer as time goes on. I think it is a sad day when any car-guy hangout closes. Regarding the idiots doing burn-outs & ones with the fart-bass stereos - I agree. They drove a lot of people away, and attracted the cops. But back in the early 90's, it wasn't the fast & furious crowd standing on the corners with bottles of bleach, yelling burnout! It was mostly the 40-somethings of today. Possibly, even a few on this forum. I'm betting that most of you guys woke up the neighborhood with open pipes at least a few times when you were young, and I bet that most of you also vaporized your share of rubber 'back in the day'. And I bet that many of the older car-guys thought it was just as childish as we do today.

Regarding the music - I'm not into that genre either, but I'm hearing a lot of my folks in some of you. How many of you remember the "Turn it down! That damned rock & roll is nothing but a bunch of noise! I don't understand why you listen to that crap - you can't even understand the words! Kids nowadays...I just don't understand them. Now, when we were your age....." speech? I surely do...

Regarding the import cars - what the kids are doing today is pretty much the same as what most of the kids were doing when we were young. After all - Civics, Corollas, and the like are just today's 283 Novas, 272 Darts, and 289 Mustangs. What other cheap cars with decent aftermarket support are available today for kids to hop up? BTW, did you know that Hyundai is offering a 274 HP turbo Sonata this year? Where are the US counterparts?

So, we have a Camaro again. Too bad it's 800 pounds overweight and too expensive in performance trim for most kids to own. Oh, we have a Challenger again. Too bad it's just as overweight & out-of-reach. Overweight musclecars for old farts with money. Buick has their new Regal - tuned on the Nürburgring, even - that actually handles with the best of the sport-sedans. But they had to get it from Opel's German engineers. Plus, it's way too expensive for most kids, and there probably won't be much aftermarket support. And then you have the Mustang. As much as I hate to admit it - the Mustang is the only one of the bunch that has stayed at least somewhat true to its roots. US automakers have been sitting there...fast & lazy...screwing the pooch for decades, and they got their collective asses handed to themselves for it. I hope they have learned their lesson. I'd like to see our US automakers produce a lot more world-class cars than just the 'Vette.

As far as the bling goes - it's no different than what most of the kids were doing when I was young. Hurst shifters & eight-ball shifters on sloppy-shifting transmissions. Mini steering wheels. A bunch of gauges that were mostly irrelevant unless you raced for a living. Fender flares, chrome-reverse wheels, laughably-fat, tall-sidewall rear tires sticking out of the fender wells. Ass-ends jacked up so high, the front A-arms were on the stops. :rotfl: Straight-pipes, driveshaft exhausts, glass-packs, Cherry-Bombs, Orange-Peels, and Purple Hornies. Hood scoops that never actually scooped any air, under which you'd most likely find a big-ass chrome air-cleaner & a 750 double-pumper - sitting atop a smallblock torqueless wonder with a stock cam, heads, and iron manifolds. :rlol:Can't forget the fuzzy dice, 'gas, grass or ass - nobody rides for free' stickers. Hmmm.....lots of 'go-fast' stuff there.

And, yeah - there were some fast cars in town too. But there were far more cars that looked fast than there were cars that actually were fast. Nothing has changed. Except us....

Some of you guys are starting to sound like curmudgeonly old-farts. When you were young, didn't you guys tell yourselves that you'd never turn into one of those? I know I did. That's one promise I made to myself that I've managed to keep. Well...so far anyway...I think...

:oldlaugher:

Joel
                      There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. - Frank Zappa

Comment

I'm thinking I'll be out tomorrow if anyone else is out.. Look for my shitty vw hatch, with the ladies painted on the hood. that is all I can give for an introduction at this point. Unless its mr hp or john that show, not many people know of me without the g-body.

-Aaron
                        87 cutlass
                        76 olds 350/t56 3.73's
                        87 olds 442 - old mans ride
                        355 sbc, th200-4r, 3.73's

Comment

It's supposed to rain tomorrow, but I'll show up with the 40th Anniversary GTP. Look for the bald old-fart wearing glasses.

Joel
                          There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. - Frank Zappa

Comment

Originally posted by Fast One View Post
                            Fellow curmudgeons,

For the record - the closing is not related to the car-crowd. Episcopal Homes had their eye on the Porky's property. With the LR going in, Nora & family decided it was time to sell.

http://finance-commerce.com/2011/03/...-to-seek-sale/

You guys can trash-talk Porky's all you want. However, I, for one, will miss the place. Car-friendly hangouts are getting rarer & rarer as time goes on. I think it is a sad day when any car-guy hangout closes. Regarding the idiots doing burn-outs & ones with the fart-bass stereos - I agree. They drove a lot of people away, and attracted the cops. But back in the early 90's, it wasn't the fast & furious crowd standing on the corners with bottles of bleach, yelling burnout! It was mostly the 40-somethings of today. Possibly, even a few on this forum. I'm betting that most of you guys woke up the neighborhood with open pipes at least a few times when you were young, and I bet that most of you also vaporized your share of rubber 'back in the day'. And I bet that many of the older car-guys thought it was just as childish as we do today.

Regarding the music - I'm not into that genre either, but I'm hearing a lot of my folks in some of you. How many of you remember the "Turn it down! That damned rock & roll is nothing but a bunch of noise! I don't understand why you listen to that crap - you can't even understand the words! Kids nowadays...I just don't understand them. Now, when we were your age....." speech? I surely do...

Regarding the import cars - what the kids are doing today is pretty much the same as what most of the kids were doing when we were young. After all - Civics, Corollas, and the like are just today's 283 Novas, 272 Darts, and 289 Mustangs. What other cheap cars with decent aftermarket support are available today for kids to hop up? BTW, did you know that Hyundai is offering a 274 HP turbo Sonata this year? Where are the US counterparts?

So, we have a Camaro again. Too bad it's 800 pounds overweight and too expensive in performance trim for most kids to own. Oh, we have a Challenger again. Too bad it's just as overweight & out-of-reach. Overweight musclecars for old farts with money. Buick has their new Regal - tuned on the Nürburgring, even - that actually handles with the best of the sport-sedans. But they had to get it from Opel's German engineers. Plus, it's way too expensive for most kids, and there probably won't be much aftermarket support. And then you have the Mustang. As much as I hate to admit it - the Mustang is the only one of the bunch that has stayed at least somewhat true to its roots. US automakers have been sitting there...fast & lazy...screwing the pooch for decades, and they got their collective asses handed to themselves for it. I hope they have learned their lesson. I'd like to see our US automakers produce a lot more world-class cars than just the 'Vette.

As far as the bling goes - it's no different than what most of the kids were doing when I was young. Hurst shifters & eight-ball shifters on sloppy-shifting transmissions. Mini steering wheels. A bunch of gauges that were mostly irrelevant unless you raced for a living. Fender flares, chrome-reverse wheels, laughably-fat, tall-sidewall rear tires sticking out of the fender wells. Ass-ends jacked up so high, the front A-arms were on the stops. :rotfl: Straight-pipes, driveshaft exhausts, glass-packs, Cherry-Bombs, Orange-Peels, and Purple Hornies. Hood scoops that never actually scooped any air, under which you'd most likely find a big-ass chrome air-cleaner & a 750 double-pumper - sitting atop a smallblock torqueless wonder with a stock cam, heads, and iron manifolds. :rlol:Can't forget the fuzzy dice, 'gas, grass or ass - nobody rides for free' stickers. Hmmm.....lots of 'go-fast' stuff there.

And, yeah - there were some fast cars in town too. But there were far more cars that looked fast than there were cars that actually were fast. Nothing has changed. Except us....

Some of you guys are starting to sound like curmudgeonly old-farts. When you were young, didn't you guys tell yourselves that you'd never turn into one of those? I know I did. That's one promise I made to myself that I've managed to keep. Well...so far anyway...I think...

:oldlaugher:

Joel
                            Well thought out and well said Joel. Thank you.
                            Life is too short to waste time and energy on hate.

Comment

301hp and i are there right now for our last supper

Comment

They are out of Onion rings and someone said they are running out of fries. The traffic is bad, Vey bad, So if you plan to go plan on at least 2hrs. for getting food, That's if there is any left.:rotfl:

Comment

Working...
                                X