New hot-rod toy - ultra-high performance RC aircraft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New hot-rod toy - ultra-high performance RC aircraft

Since the wx sucks too much for a cruise in the GN this weekend, I've been working on another hobby of mine - R/C aircraft. I've got one of these just about ready for flight. Just finishing up the electronics installation: Precision Aerobatics Extra 260

It's an ultra-high performance aircraft that uses a 0.56 HP 3-phase AC motor. It has a composite airframe - a carbon fiber/plywood/balsa laminate that's stronger than titanium. Its wingspan is 48", but it weighs only 2 pounds ready to fly. Thrust-to-weight ratio is nearly 3:1, and the flight speed range is 0-70 MPH. Here's a video compilation showcasing its capabilities. There's some on-board video too: PA Extra 260 - extreme 3D aerobatics

With ~0.28 HP per pound, this is gonna be fun!
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. - Frank Zappa

Cool!

Comment

That is pretty neat

Comment

My RC truck will do 70.

Comment

Originally posted by waterbug1999 View Post
          My RC truck will do 70.
          Cool. What do you have?

I raced a 1/10th-scale electric RC-10 Team Graphite 2WD buggy back in the early 90s. I raced mostly off-road, but I had an on-road conversion kit for it and raced on-road as well. The technology has come a long way. Before brushless & LiPo, 70 MPH RC cars & trucks were usually either gas or nitro-powered. I remember being happy to get 45 MPH out of my RC-10 after modding the crap out of it, and now I see electrics that can do over 70 MPH - in stock trim, no less. I haven't had an RC car or truck for a few years (spent my RC budget on aircraft & helicopters), but the technology available today has piqued my interest again...
          There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. - Frank Zappa

Comment

sweet, i always wanted to get into rc planes or helicopters.. however i just settle for my nitro truck that might hit like 45 in its old age

-Aaron
            87 cutlass
            76 olds 350/t56 3.73's
            87 olds 442 - old mans ride
            355 sbc, th200-4r, 3.73's

Comment

Pics

Finally finished it. Took it up for the first flight today. I wish I had a car with handling as precise as this little airplane has. Feels like the airborne equivalent to a Lotus!

Here are a few pics.
              Attached Files

Comment

Wow!Nice! Looks expensive though. But if you enjoy it.....what the heck.

Comment

Originally posted by Z28SSMAN View Post
                  Wow!Nice! Looks expensive though. But if you enjoy it.....what the heck.
                  Thanks. Expensive? Just like the car hobby!

This one's about the price of a TA-49 turbo, or an Edelbrock Performer manifold & 800 CFM Thunder AVS carb for your typical old-school hot-rod.

It flies even better than it looks. The carbon-fiber/laminate airframe and the way the control surfaces are designed (like the full-scale version's) make it fly like a dream. It handles like it's on rails. Because of the light weight, it handles like that from 10 mph up to its top speed of ~70 MPH. At WOT, it pulls 3 Gs of acceleration on take-off. It can pull up to 30 Gs in the turns.

The 16 kHz speed control with automatic timing advance and the 3-phase brushless motor respond instantly to throttle changes. The torque is so instantaneous that it can accelerate from 0 to 12,000 RPM in less than one second. The throttle is like a digital caliper. It is perfectly repeatable and linear throughout the entire range - much like an F1 engine.

It would be like having a car with steering and throttle that's surgically precise.

And, yes - I do enjoy it. I can do stuff with these planes that I'd never be able to do in a full-scale plane.

Comment

Very cool!

Comment

http://www.atomicmods.com

For anyone interested in some of the smaller/mini RC's.

Check the vid with the XMods Skyline doing some 42 MPH.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Kc8N...layer_embedded

Comment

Working...
                      X