Rumor has it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rumor has it

Someone with a twin turbo car blew their engine last weekend street racing Anyone we know?. That must have been a mess.

That's too bad.

Not sure what happened, but most around town tend to get too greedy with boost or nitrous and

Trying to stay ahead of the competition is part of our sport, but destroying a perfectly good engine with excessive power adders or unnecessary abuse has never made much sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Z28SSMAN View Post
      That's too bad.

Not sure what happened, but most around town tend to get too greedy with boost or nitrous and

Trying to stay ahead of the competition is part of our sport, but destroying a perfectly good engine with excessive power adders or unnecessary abuse has never made much sense to me.
      I think some people just enjoy pushing the envelope. Always looking for that last incremental increase in performance. I'm that way with some things - R/C aircraft & audio gear come to mind. In those cases, it isn't a matter of abusing the equipment, though. It's striving for the best audio quality I can possibly get, or tuning on an aerobatic R/C plane until I can wring that last ounce of performance out of the airframe. But I don't abuse the engines on my planes, and I don't abuse my audio gear - or my ears.

I agree with you when it comes to engines & such. I'd rather have mine live to run another day, than to abuse 'em & end up blowing 'em up while trying to get that last couple of HP. I make a point to stay on the rich side just a bit to be safe. The GN has 189k on the original head gaskets & I've been running 20 pounds of boost for over a decade.

I guess some people don't care. Just another hunk of metal to them. No big deal - it can always be rebuilt or replaced. Whatever makes 'em happy, I guess - but I kinda kike my stuff to stick around....

While we're on the subject - another thing that doesn't make sense to me is the ones who can turn stellar numbers on the dyno, but they can't hook up in the real world. To me, an 800 HP engine in a 400 HP car seems like such a waste...
      There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. - Frank Zappa

Comment

Blowing up a turbo motor makes quite a mess.

Comment

same mess as a n/a motor.....same, same!!!!! the turbo never blows to pieces.....lol

Comment

Who popped their motor?

Comment

Originally posted by waterbug1999 View Post
              Who popped their motor?
              I heard some gut with a black GTO

Comment

dont know the dude.

Comment

It went blammo.
                  I am a total tool here and do not care about anyone but myself

Comment

Originally posted by 98 cobra s/c View Post
                    same mess as a n/a motor.....same, same!!!!! the turbo never blows to pieces.....lol
                    As a rule, the more power you have in a given space, the more spectacular the failure when shit goes wrong. Although it's not exclusively power-adder territory, craploads of power in a really small box usually makes for a pretty good show when something breaks. One of the quickest ways to create a two-piece block is to let your turbo outrun your fuel system...
                    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. - Frank Zappa

Comment

Working...
                    X