Ballpark my engine's power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quicker Than You
    Looks like it will make about 340-360hp to the wheels.
    Horrible for a first build, I know...

Comment

Originally posted by Quicker Than You
      Well I think you will need a bigger cam to make much more than about 350hp to the wheels
      K... I'll be sure to write that down

Comment

Okay. The "" at the end of your statement must've thrown me then. I look at that and I picture the person posting it saying "Wow" in a very sarcastic way. I apologize for reading into it incorrectly. I'm obviously not trying to have the largest numbers out there. It's more of a curiosity thing for me.

Again, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by ReRod View Post
          K... I'll be sure to write that down
          Don't get to excited as there are things that can really affect rwhp like if an auto a loose convt. trans slippage and other things. I never use the rear wheel dyno as a basis for getting numbers .What that is for is like tuning and stuff to get your baseline then you can get the timing and fuel curves right
          THEN after that you will most likely have to retune at the track as the air will be differant that the day you were at the dyno. Also be aware the those desktop dynos are usually high compaired to real dyno number. My 406 on the desktop said it should be 675hp but that was not the cae was it?. So build your engine get the ballpark numbers then go to the track tune it in and you will be happy.

The only way you learn is by building something and if the results are not what you wanted then go back and do it again...again...and again, sometimes costly but that's part of racing and building street cars. What works for one guy might not work for the next and if you need help don't hesitate to PM me and I can help you.

Comment

I really wasn't concerned with rwhp to be honest. It kinda just took that turn. I realize that there are more variables when that comes into play. I guess that's why I was looking for flywheel guesses more-so.

I'm not really the type to need to have tons and tons of horsepower. I don't plan on taking the car to the track more than a handful of times per summer. I'd rather it be something that I can hop into, turn the key, and be able to cruise over to the Black Hills for the weekend without having to touch/tune a thing.

I've learned that the combo wasn't set up to make max hp. If I were to do it again I'd change some things. But I have to toy with it as is for a summer at least. There isn't even 50 miles on this set-up yet (and none of those have been "beating on it" miles) and I don't even know how it'll be once the other rear end and better suspension is in.

Thanks for the offer 602! There might be a time down the road that I'll consider re-camming the engine (hyd. roller) and I'll look for some input at that time.:cool:

Comment

Sounds like the high school kids will not be giving you much trouble around town this summer. Should be pretty impresive. Where you planning to go for tuning?

Comment

Originally posted by Old School View Post
                Sounds like the high school kids will not be giving you much trouble around town this summer. Should be pretty impresive. Where you planning to go for tuning?
                The high school kids? When have they ever given me any trouble?
                And you should already know who will be tuning it.

Comment

Originally posted by ReRod View Post
                  The high school kids? When have they ever given me any trouble?
                  And you should already know who will be tuning it.
                  What I ment was, are you going to tune by ear or at what dyno shop?
                  And I know there are not many kids with hot cars anymore, but there are a few that think they got something.

Comment

What I ment was, are you going to tune by ear or at what dyno shop?
                    And I know there are not many kids with hot cars anymore, but there are a few that think they got something.
                    It'll be by ear.
                    And the high school kids can keep thinking what they want. Or you can run them. They don't bother me like they must bother you

Comment

No, they just like to screw around with me. So I just play along and have some fun.
                      I would recamend at least having the exhaust checked for the A/F ratio. I ran around for years thinking it was fine, when it was lean. Just my .02 worth.

Comment

I would recamend at least having the exhaust checked for the A/F ratio. I ran around for years thinking it was fine, when it was lean. Just my .02 worth.
                        I believe they can do that at the dyno during AutoFest. IIrc, it's a little extra $ but I might as well.

Comment

Old School, your car is now a drag car it rarely ever sees the streets anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Pool Boy View Post
                            lol

Comment

Originally posted by Pool Boy View Post
                              What can I say........................I work too much

Comment

I couldn't guess which of your two cars I saw out more last summer. Neither was out very much at all! You guys left me hangin' in the lot so much. Although Pete was there quite a bit

Comment

Working...
                                X