What would you ask for it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you ask for it?

I hate to do it, but since I might be having to sell it, I'm kinda curious as to what

you guys think my car might be worth (i.e., reasonable asking price). It's a '79

Malibu Landau Classic 2 door showing 51,xxx miles (believed to be original).

Here's the run-down on the drivetrain:

406 small-block Chevy with less than 2000 miles on it (built last summer)
    *509 cast block (2 bolt mains)
    *balanced
    *Callies Stealth-series forged crank
    *forged 6" I-beam rods
    *forged Wiseco pistons (flat-tops with 2 valve reliefs)
    *custom grind solid flat-tappet cam (523 I/545 E...243/249 dur. @50...110LS)
    *AFR 195cc Eliminator aluminum heads (65cc)
    *Harland Sharp 1.5 roller rockers
    *CompCams Hi-Tech chromemoly push rods
    *Edelbrock Performer RPM Air-Gap intake
    *Holley 750 double-pumper
    *A/C and heat still functional (R-12 needs charging)

TH350 transmission "built up"
    G-force transmission crossmember
    B&M Holeshot 2400 converter

8.5" rear end from a Grand National
    3.42 posi gears
    UMI tubular upper/lower control arms and lower control arm relocation brackets
    stock GN sway bar
    new wheel cylinders (spring '08)
    aluminum drums

Schoenfeld headers (1 5/8" stepped to 1 3/4"... 3" collectors)
    Torque-Tech 3" mandrel bent exhaust with X-pipe and GN-style tailpipes
    _______
    Wheel Vintiques rally wheels
    *15x6 front (3.5" BS); 215/60R15's
    *15x8 rear (4" BS); 255/60R15's

quarterpanel that looks like it was buffed through or something. Very light surface

rust there. Also some light surface rust on the bottom of the passenger-side door.

Floors are beautiful and the frame also looks good.
    _________
    Interior is pretty decent. There's a crack on the speaker hole on the dash. Dash is

otherwise good. "B" pillars have the typical "dry rot" but I have new replacements

that would go with (they'd need to be painted as they are black). The headliner

sags but has no holes. I also bought some lower door panels that have speaker pods

molded into them since I was going to put some stereo into it but decided against

it. Those are painted to match already and so are the new arm rests. Neither of

those things would need replacement unless you wanted to put speakers into the

doors. I have some interior paint that can go along also to make everything match

up since the sun has faded a few areas. Front bench seat should probably be

recovered since the material cracked open on the driver-side. Rear seat is in

beautiful shape. Factory gauges all work and I've also added a full A-pillar with 2

Autometer gauges, oil pressure and water temp.

Miscellaneous:
    -Have larger-than-stock (1 3/8" I believe) Suspension Techniques front sway bar

that will go along if the buyer would want.
    -Car will need new brake pads in front in the near future.

More pics can be seen here:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v322/ReRod/Malibu/

Why are you selling it?

Comment

hard to say, maybe 10k to 15k............?

Comment

i would like to agree with the 10 to 15k.. but the market for g-body's isnt up high enough to demand such prices right now. i guess it would depend how much $$ you have invested into it

-Aaron
        87 cutlass
        76 olds 350/t56 3.73's
        87 olds 442 - old mans ride
        355 sbc, th200-4r, 3.73's

Comment

Unfortunately, as many of us know, what something is "worth" and the figure you "can get for it" are very different numbers.

First....labor means nothing. It's out of the equation (to buyers)
          Parts, whether brand new or very very low mileage since install are worth less than what you paid for them. If the car has ANY flaws body-wise, expect to be lowballed on your asking price by about 25%.

Now, you can take that offer, or hold out for somebody that wants what you have bad enough to pay the asking price. The market for cars like this right now is terrible because of fuel costs. I'd price it as fairly as possible and take the highest offer.

Figure out what you have invested in parts only and cut 20% from that figure.
          Add in the blue book value of your car in whatever condition it is in now. That would be my asking price.

Good luck. It's not going to be an easy sell right now.

I look at TONS of cars and, I'm not trying to be an ass here but....I wouldn't pay more than $10k for it (just because the market is on the buyer's side now). There are plenty of people selling right now. As a buyer, I'd lowball the hell out of you and walk if you don't want to negotiate.
          Life is too short to waste time and energy on hate.

Comment

Originally posted by Fotoboy View Post
            Why are you selling it?
            Medical/personal reasons...

Comment

Originally posted by Tradbuilt View Post
              As a buyer, I'd lowball the hell out of you and walk if you don't want to negotiate.
              Thats how I roll

Comment

don't sell, you will figure out a different way to pay for your shit, you WILL regret it, keep that thing and hang onto something for a while, I know it is hard when you are down and out but believe me I have been there, 20 years later I still have my car, 16 jobs, two houses, two girlfriends, and three kids, and always have found a way to hang onto my car. I know it is an easy way to get some cash but you will be losing in the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5aBGVPVe0g

Comment

Sorry to hear about your situation ReRod. Hope things work out for ya.

Unfortunately most of us realize we'll never get back out of our cars what we put into them. But then again we put money and labor into 'em because we are addicted to cars, not because we expect to get back the $$$ we dumped into them.

As far as what you should ask for it? Set a price you can live with and if you get no offers, then you'll know you're asking too much.

Comment

situations like this make you think hard about the time and effort you put into your car. man if i didnt have my cutlass since i was 15 and put so much time and effort into it, i would have sold it off to the guy that offered me 3000 bucks for it last weekend. should have taken the money and run.. but then i think about how i have had it for the last 5 years and somehow it stayed with me through all the crap i have dealt with lately. ya, i have debt, but i dont want to off the one thing that i know i can keep enjoying to pay for it, ill just try and pay for my crap and keep going

besides.. i havent gotten to go for a stroll in that thing yet so you cant sell it..

-Aaron
                    87 cutlass
                    76 olds 350/t56 3.73's
                    87 olds 442 - old mans ride
                    355 sbc, th200-4r, 3.73's

Comment

Hey damnit you not selling it before I get a ride in it...

Comment

Working...
                      X