Terminator durability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terminator durability

A while back in another forum, we had a friendly conversation about the durability of a couple types of motors. I thought many would like to see real world experiences about the Cobra motors.

Don't get me wrong....I do think the Cobra motors are pretty durable, but from what I've seen and read, many have had a false sense of security about the highly touted "forged internal" Cobra motor.

I've been around long enough to know that any engine can fail....many with superior forged internals than what is original equipment in the 4.6 Cobra.

Ryan had implied that the LS1 engines were more susceptible to failure. I guess he's entitled to his opinion. Of course I always welcome differing opinions from our members. However...the LS1 is extremely dependable and stands up to a great amount of abuse. Like I mentioned in the other thread...many around town have blown the LS1s due to being greedy with the nitrous and an incorrect tune...and we all know about local incorrectly tuned engines blowing up. The hypereutectic pistons are not as forgiving as the factory forged Cobra. However...there are many LS1s not locally tuned which use nitrous without a problem.

Anyway...here's where we left off...

Originally posted by Originally Posted by Z28SSMAN
    So...if new Chevs are as you say "shits weak" then what would you consider a 4.6?
    Originally posted by superford3
    If we are talking 4.6 in a cobra Id say badass and strong as hell, if we are talking a regular 4.6 id say long lasting but underpowered
    Originally posted by superford3
    for the record I hear about more Ls1 engine chucking the guts more often then cobra motors blowing up, Theres 3 people in town that blow up stock cobra motors, fast mark runs 1000+ so for it to blow up its a no brainer. badcobra blew his car up because improper install on timing chain issues but then that is a twin turbo 1000+. dan dniestadt or how ever you spell it LOL had a bad engine builder build his motor, Blown svt also is running 800+ on stock motor with no issues other then bad driving, cobras afre not track cars I will give you that but they make a hell of a lot of power and hold a ton of power.

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/s...+cobra+engines

Another dumb thread to nowhere land

Comment

Originally posted by superford3 View Post
      Just ask 98 cobra s/c how tough those 4.6's are he will tell you pop this, pop that and pop some more.

I guess we are getting like tcs as they have a lot of dumb threads over there.
      Na we are better:munchstrechcouch2:

Comment

Originally posted by superford3 View Post
        lol

Oh well, I always do my best to post the facts. And...it's always good to post data from actual Cobra owners. I mean...what better source than from a Ford website?

I'm just glad you touted the durability of those Cobra motors...otherwise I wouldn't have thought to post the link.

Just think...the link only shows people who decided to post. I'm sure there are many owners who have popped their motors, but decided not to post.

Comment

Congrats you found out that ford motors blow up too LOL

Comment

Well we both know all types of motors blow up...forged internal or not.

I just wanted to "refresh your memory".

I used to see all kinds of '03-'04 Cobras around town that were "players". I give you credit though...yours is about the only one in the local scene that resembles a production car.

Wonder where they all went? Hmmm

Comment

Originally posted by Z28SSMAN View Post
              Well we both know all types of motors blow up...forged internal or not.

I just wanted to "refresh your memory".

I used to see all kinds of '03-'04 Cobras around town that were "players". I give you credit though...yours is about the only one in the local scene that resembles a production car.

Wonder where they all went? Hmmm
              They all went over board with 1000+ and now keep it at the track or they slap a turbo kit on it and it then becomes a garage queen :rlol:

Comment

Originally posted by 2 beer
                Its easy to see you are not well schooled on these engines as you think you are. The terminator refers to 03-04. 98's have different rods and pistons in them and are aonly good to about 500 roughly. So I would recommend you check yourself before you wreck yourself.
                Well what rock did you crawl out from under, Have not seen you in a while and Welcome back.
                As for the 98 in question that motor had been refitted with big dollar forged internals which actually were better that the treminator ones. Now don't get me wrong this failed motor I think was more of possy. dyno operator error than the fact that it broke a part. Running something lean will make anything fail if run too long that way. Rpm kills engines the most and there is a cycle life on any rotating part, Hit the rpm at which that part can fail too many times and BOOM.

When Chevrolet made the famous HD 7/16 BB rods Duntov said that at 7000 rpm they would last a lifetime but at 7500 rpm that would only last 500 miles.

Comment

Duntov was a genius

Comment

Mine's alive as of last night!

Mine failed the first time due to a spark plug tip (probably detonating) smacking the piston. I tried to get it fixed under warranty (stock plug, mostly stock setup), it was denied. Had someone fix it on the side for $, numerous failures again and again and again until this last one that I had a shortblock built and put together with a friend. Fired it last night and putting some break in miles on it before I thrash it.

Dan
                    1966 Mustang Fastback 2+2
                    2012 Ford Mustang GT convertible
                    2013 Ford F-150 FX4 ECOBOOST
                    1971 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454 Clone

and others. :)

Comment

Sounds like a lot of frustration Dan. What's puzzling is that your set up was deserving of warranty work, but denied, while others were warrantied that shouldn't have been.

Comment

Originally posted by Z28SSMAN View Post
                        Sounds like a lot of frustration Dan. What's puzzling is that your set up was deserving of warranty work, but denied, while others were warrantied that shouldn't have been.
                        It all depends on who you talk to for warranty

Comment

Agreed. Regardless it's over now and it's been a crappy few years for us, hopefully this build will stay together for a while. It should be a fun setup. :)
                          1966 Mustang Fastback 2+2
                          2012 Ford Mustang GT convertible
                          2013 Ford F-150 FX4 ECOBOOST
                          1971 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454 Clone

and others. :)

Comment

I've seen more than a fair share of Ford guys admit that the stock Mahle pistons in the 03 Cobras are junk for a forged piston, and if you are lookin to make serious power you should really refresh the motor with some quality forged parts. You could make 1000 hp on the stock motor. You could hang out on your roof in a thunderstorm holding a 10 foot antenna. Either way, if you don't want bad things to happen, would you really want to? Not tryin to bash the Cobras at all.

Comment

When you make big power shit breaks, end of story

Comment

Working...
                              X