Big Block build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Block build

Old truck block 454 and i'm sure there is some experience here to lend me some advise. Nothing crazy with this. Just a rebuild with a cam and valve train.
    Bottom end looks good with hopefully just basic machine work. Stock pistons and rods. I believe it's a forge crank? But just a 2 bolt block.

Heads are 781's oval ports. Good working heads. Plans are just a rework and valve train to match a cam, springs and valve guides.
    Sounds like a simple build?
    Kicker is I really want to fuel inject this thing.
    What do you guys like out on the market?

Holley
    FAST
    Edelbrock
    MSD Atomic

Bang for the buck, and i'm kind of done with carbs.
    And also cam thoughts for a fuel injected motor or does it really matter?

Makes for a pretty low compression engine with 781's, seems to me when we cc'ed a factory engine one time it came in at like 7.89 to 1. As for FI. ya they are all pretty good but most of them are around 2K, I can get some pretty nice carburetors for that price but then again I like to tinker with stuff. I have my Flat top 461 sitting in the garage that I was planning on putting my L29 Vortec heads on it, they are like 100cc heads and as I suspect will make a ton of tq. just like the Small Block ones. Too bad I have nothing to put the engine in.

Comment

Don't you have to used special head gaskets and other stuff to make the l29 heads work on a Mark IV engine?

Comment

Originally posted by fast toys View Post
        Don't you have to used special head gaskets and other stuff to make the l29 heads work on a Mark IV engine?
        Yup.

Comment

What has to be different about em? So...you just go ask for a head gasket for the conversion?

Comment

Originally posted by Z28SSMAN View Post
            What has to be different about em? So...you just go ask for a head gasket for the conversion?
            You tell the parts place that you are doing a L29 Mark 5 to Mark 4 head swap, I think it's in the Felpro book.

Comment

Finally back to this build after the winter and working.

Block, crank, pistons and rods were cleaned. New main and rod bearings. New rings with hours of file fitting. New Comp cam, lifters and timing set.

It's quite the adventure to build one of these. Chevy, Ford or Mopar... I know you guys know this. The time it takes to make parts work together.

Can't wait to drop this in my car.

Comment

Looks like it should go good at the track for you, Bob knows all about getting combos right, hell he has like 100's of them over the years and still can't leave thing alone. He He!

Comment

Motor in the car all was good with startup cam break in. Let it sit and cool down started it back up and it starts leaking oil out the rear main bad. Pulling it back out.

Comment

Originally posted by bbcmalibu View Post
                    Motor in the car all was good with startup cam break in. Let it sit and cool down started it back up and it starts leaking oil out the rear main bad. Pulling it back out.

That sucks, been there had that happen a few times.

Comment

Working...
                    X