Project Peanut Port 454

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Peanut Port 454

After the Summer Muscle Car Race I have decided to get my Big Block project going. It will be my old 461 Forged flat top piston engine that was in the Bird way back in 04 and has been sitting on a stand ever since. The engine had some Close chambered heads that went pretty good since the Bird ran 11.90's @113MPH N/A. Now the 461 will have the same 282S Comp Cam but I will use some very small CC runner heads, also know as Peanut Ports. I talked to my buddy Al T. and he said that had a 454 with PP heads that made over 550hp and from what I have read these heads make 550 tq. on a flat curve, pretty damn good IMO. I will top this off with an Air Gap intake with a variety of carbs to try. I just got my hands on a torque Converter that I think will do the job and if not I always have my tried and true TCI 10" 4800 Stall. I am using 1 3/4" headers and the 2" Super Comps for mild engines just ruin the torque curve (found that out the hard way) so the 358 will be no more for a while as I also have the other 468 that will go in when I am done testing this BB. Best thing about this 454 is I could run 87 octane with it and it is only 8.1 compression.

This combo has been kind of a pain trying to find all the parts to get this done. The short water pump didn't work out, the pulleys didn't align up, couldn't find the small tune headers, put on the Hookers then fond the other ones and changed them. I decided to use a Jeg's torque converter that is tighter to get the most I could out of this as I do not want a super high stall with this low rpm 461. Should have it running this week.

Comment

Sat. is the big day to see what the numbers are.

Comment

Peanut Port heads are real, even in poor air these heads made great power.

Comment

Interesting project for sure

Comment

Just tried out a Fuel Curve Engineering 850 Today. I bought the carb for $100 as the kid did not know what he had. It was his dad's old carb, sat for 20 years. I put it on the car fired right up and idled perfect at 650rpm, now that's a good carb.

Comment

The Peanut Port engine was a huge success with the car running the best of 11.16@118.26 Could not have imagined years ago that these little port heads with 8:1 compression would even do this.

Comment

Working...
              X