This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biscayne get a new engine

Today I started to put a new bullit in the Biscayne for my Son since he now owns the car. I took out a 400 SB and put on a fresh 350 Vortec head engine with an Edelbrock 2X4 setup and some othe rnice goodies. Will post up some pics soon.

That's a cool old car!

Comment

2 fours??? and wing windows. wow, cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Z28SSMAN View Post
        That's a cool old car!
        You just want to play with the wing windows :laughing smile:

Comment

It runs. Got is started this afternoon. My is it not funny how much cleaner a new engine runs. It smells like like the A/F ratio is pretty close at idle and cruise speed. It is much slower that the 400 even though it has Vortec heads. I think the stinky little 600 the full race intake might be suspect. We will see how the car runs with the new 2X4 setup wit the small 500 Eddy's on it.

Comment

So looks like after a few years this engine is not doing well. I have a vibration at 1600 RPM and also in another spot too. The car ran so good the first year and now like crap, I have changed intakes, went to a single 4bbl disconnected the exhaust, pulled the vib dampener, changed pulleys and nothing seems to help. This all started after I changed to cast exhaust manifolds with main pipes and new exhaust. Never would have thought the manifolds would cause trouble other than running richer but I leaned it down too, with no change. I am beginning to think that either the new cam went south or some valves are not seating, so I am going to pull the heads this week to see what's going on in there.

One a side note the Bisky just got new springs all the way around and a whole new braking system inc. a front disk setup.

Comment

UPDATE: the brakes work great but I am going to switch over to ceramic pads as when the car is cold it takes more effort to stop. The car rides great with the new springs in it, I had to make a change of carburation but I am not sure what's wrong with the old 500 Eddy yet but that crab runs like crap. I did put a Carter Comp. carb on the car and it seems to be a lot nicer.

Comment

Took the exhaust hangers off the body in the back and mounted them on the frame, much less vibration in the car now. The 500 Carter Comp carb work very well, I still cannot figure out why the Eddy 500 runs like crap, everything is the same except Carter has different primary boosters. Carters shoot out the fuel and hits the booster ring, Eddy's on the other hand have the primary tube that is faced down to the throttle and maybe there is poor mixture distribution, as for everything else both carbs are identical.

Comment

Just put on a 7" Dual Diaphragm Power Booster, WOW, the car stops nice.

Comment

Looks like the 409 engine will be a reality next year. Woo Hoo!

Comment

Getting the 409 ready to swap in in the next few weeks, will post pictures of the swap. My son is pretty excited about going to BTT 50's this year.

Comment

Cool car and the 409 will make it even cooler.

Comment

Well this has not gone well so far, had to fix a lot of stupid stuff so far. The biggest was when my son and I were priming the oil pump we had no oil to the pass side of the engine and I figured there would be a problem with that. I went on the 348-409 site to ask about it and sure enough these guys were right, the rear cam bearing is in wrong. This is one of those stupid things that the builders always mess up, the guy that put in the cam bearings, him and his brother have screwed up a lot in the past so I stopped having them do work for me. Hell this guy worked for Tezar (wonder how long that lasted) and I know when you make a big screw up that cost someone an engine you don't last long at a shop. These old 409's are like 65-66 Big Blocks where they use a grooved cam and rear bearing so if the holes in the block don't line up the lifters don't get oil, as usual I'll get it fixed right. I put this engine together back in 1993 sure have learned to pay a lot of attention to detail since then. So on goes project 409.

Comment

Started pulling the 350 yesterday.

Comment

Everything on this has been a fight from the rear cam bearing installed wrong by the builder to the "409 has it's own flex plate" thing. Now the P/S and exhaust has been a bitch, I am wondering if putting my old 454 in there would have been a better choice. Sure as hell don't remember this many problems when I put the 409 in the car way back in '81.

Comment

Working...
                              X