Muggy Weld

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muggy Weld

Now that I have got the other 409 block out to weld I decided to get started on this project. I bought a Lincoln arc welder 220V then, I was able to run the 220 outside for the welder and I proceeded to start arc welding. I used some 6011 rod and it was like being in high school again so you have to relearn after using a wire feed welder for years. Next I tried the 6013 rod and it welded much better than the other rod but I still was unsure if I was ready to weld some cast iron. I bought this stuff called Muggy Weld 77 rod. Now this stuff is spendy at $75 for 8 3/32" rods and a dozen 6013 rods from Hobart are $4.60 so you can see you need to be a little carful. I looked around for some old cast iron to weld and found an old Vortec head that had cracks in it. I decided to take the cutoff wheel and grind a grove in the head down to the water jacket and weld it shut.

First I set the welder at 75 amps, got everything clamped down and did the weld. I just welded 1" as the company said to and it was amazing, it welded the homemade crack with ease. I am so impressed with this stuff that I will be welding the 409 this week. I will take pictures and video to show how it's done. One place wanted $2500 to fix the block, Yikes! so if this works and I think it will I am going to save $2400. When I am dome welding the block I will put some epoxy on the outside (Belzona super metal) just to be sure there will be no leaks. The Belzona it another product that is truly amazing also, looks like a 409 in the kids future for sure. If this works I will look for some of those high buck race heads and blocks that are crack to buy cheap to fix for the race car.

http://muggyweld.com/cast-iron-engine-welding

Wow, things have changed. I remember around '70, my brother's sbc studs pulled out of the heads, so he took em in to have them pinned with a kit you could buy. When he put em back on, water was everywhere. The guy obviously tapped into a water jacket. We took em to a neighbor to try and weld em and it didn't work. The technology just wasn't there back then. He ended up buying a new set with screw in studs, etc.

Comment

I got one side welded today, takes more amps than they said. I still think I will put Belzona Super Metal over the welds so that way I don't have to worry about any other cracks. It's still better that the way it was.

Comment

anymore on how this turned out?

Comment

Working...
        X